Mephisto crosses from BasementBeans, Blackstrap clone, first STS reversals

Quick update:

• I’ll be transplanting both (Double Grape x 3BOG) x CDLCs and the Strawberry Nuggets x CDLC soon.

• The Ewok x CDLCs are both out of soil. One of these will be getting the pollen from a (Double Grape x 3BOG) x Ewok.

• The Blackstrap clone’s roots were going everywhere yesterday so i went ahead and gave it the first dose of STS. I’m racing a clock I can’t see :grimacing:

That’s about it for now :v:

6 Likes

This is so well documented! Can’t wait to see these take off

2 Likes

Thank you! I keep photo albums on my phone anyway just so I can see progress. I see them every day so I can’t really tell what’s up with them unless I have something I can compare one day to the next lol also have a new set up with quite a few different strains at different ages, first sex reversal, and an auto clone :woman_facepalming: :crazy_face: I use my phones camera (for quick pics) and an app called “Days Since” just to help me stay organized and SANE and to keep them alive :joy:

3 Likes

Also wanted to document the Blackstrap auto mom’s progress since I’m hoping I can pollinate her w her clone. If by some miracle, it’s successful and I get enough seeds to give away, I’m sure it would be nice to see where they came from. If I get balls and it’s too late to pollinate the mom, something is getting pregnant, I don’t care what it is :woman_shrugging: and you guys will know her genetics even if she gets crossed with something else :joy:

But anyway, here she is :crossed_fingers:
(All pics taken today)

Hopefully these purple bracts are the first signs of a purple pheno. It was the case for the purple lemonade :woman_shrugging:

Hopefully she’s not too far along. I count day 1 of flower for my autos as the day I see the first white pistils. Lil baby blackstrap needs to come on with it :joy:

13 Likes

The blackstrap mom got a heavy defol last night on day 13F (since first white hairs). I hope it wasn’t too late but I had to. She wasn’t taking as much water/nutes, her lower leaves were just hanging there, she was crowding everything around her. Including herself. I’ve been noticing some wetness on some of her leaves from them touching. The reason I did it so late is bc I was waiting to see what stretched and evened out in there and she was just beautiful the way she was. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Before defol (dec 25)

Last night after defol (Dec 26) she looks so pitiful :sob:

This morning

She seems super hungry. She’s in coco/perlite. Fed her 1565ppm jacks 321 last night to make up for the defol. Heavy on the part a since she’s in flower. (4,1,2 +50%) This morning when I fed at 1399ppm (same nutes from last night, idk why it dropped so much), I only got back 1383. She’s eating again!

I’m thinking about giving her even more (at least for the next cpl weeks) and see how she takes it, then start tapering down. She’s not showing stress or burned leaves :woman_shrugging:

Speaking of stress… when she was only about 2-3 weeks old, I accidentally snapped her in half :woman_facepalming: The main stalk at that. Flew around and threw a makeshift bandage around her. Didn’t want her to get an embolism and die on me. Sprayed her boo-boo with some peroxide water and made a brace out of a bottle rocket stick and some masking tape :sweat_smile: (I was frantic)

When I was defoliating her yesterday I noticed she busted through that tape - probably a long time ago -and none of it was doing any good anymore lol

And now onto the babies.

Blackstrap clone that’s been treated w STS
Not sure whether or not to transplant her?

Blackstrap clone (let’s call it #2) has rooted and needs a cup lol

All the mephisto crosses from @BasementBeans have rooted pretty well. I’ll just upload a pic of SN. DG2 looks the same. DG1 doesn’t have as many roots yet. Will probably transplant later.

Baby group photo

If you have any comments, opinions, or ideas -feel free to share.

I know Ive been updating a lot but I’ve got a lot going on. It will slow down once they all get to where they’re going. Probably :joy:

9 Likes

Great update! I personally will defol up to 2 weeks into flowering, and it hasn’t caused me problems in the past; I think you’re gonna be good.
They’re looking gorgeous.

2 Likes

All of these are autos. No difference?

And thank you!!

1 Like

Awesome update as always! Everything looks like it’s in perfect health.

I wouldn’t bother transplanting, it’s going to flower almost immediately whether you transplant or not. Fingers crossed the STS works!

3 Likes

Hmm…I still think you’re fine, but I haven’t grown autos. Seems like positive change on the feeding habits though, and that’s a good sign!
I’ll be asking you for tips when I pop my first autos in January.

1 Like

@HeadyBearAdventures i’ll try to help if I can! If I can’t, there’s probably a ton of others that can jump in! What are your plans? Coco, soil, what strain(s)?

@BasementBeans ok, I’ll leave her in her cup. I was thinking she would get a little bigger if I moved her… more pollen? Also, how soon do you start seeing sacs after the first STS spray?

Thanks @hollyho !
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a good grasp of the run I want to have; it’s a little different than what I’m used to, but I think it’ll be effective.
I’m running a 2x2 tent with 2 x 100W Quantum Board (1 SF1000, 1 Knockoff but still Samsung/Meanwell), AC Infiniti 4 inch exhaust, post clip fan inside tent, 30 gallon smart pot full of down-to-earth amended base soil (sphagnum, pumice, compost, worm castings), cover cropped, and planted with 4 autos (3 Fog Dog from @LegsMahoney and one that I found in an old stash box that’s a freebie called Blue Treacle :man_shrugging: , no idea on that second one). All soil inputs will be either JADAM or Cho KNF. Gonna run 18/6 from seed.
I have never in my life grown an auto strain, but I want to have the 2x2 running autos full time, and leave my 3x3 for photo regs since the 2x2 is only 48" tall. Any special considerations about autos that differ strongly from photos in your experience?edit: lol aside from the obvious.

Anyway, now I rambled for a page, but thanks for asking!

4 Likes

SN x CDLC right after transplant yesterday then a pic of her today.

DG2 transplanted today

The rest of the babies.

-TOP-
• DG1 was transplanted into 1gal today.
• Blackstrap clone1 was transplanted in 1gal yesterday and sprayed with STS for the second time today.

-BOTTOM-
• Ewok x CDLC still growing.
Middle bottom- was “Ewok x CDLC1” but it’s on day 6 and not doing anything. It was from a hermie and probably wasn’t even mature enough to begin with. Need to chunk it but I keep thinking maybe :triumph:
• Blackstrap clone 2 - not sure what I’m doing with her yet but she has roots also. If the mom is too far along to be pollinated by the time I get pollen from clone1 then I may pollinate clone2.

Those of you that have used STS successfully- how many times did it take before you could tell it was working? @Qtip

6 Likes

After the third time spraying I was seeing a change in the sprayed plant, male flowers starting to develop.

1 Like

Ever tried it on an auto clone by chance? :woman_facepalming::sweat_smile:

The plant I took it from is in flower already. The bigger clone still isn’t doing anything lol maybe it’s starting to work bc it’s growing like crazy. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Never tried cloning an auto.

1 Like

Right on. When she starts producing pollen, how long do I have to wait before it’s usable? Not really timewise, I know u can’t tell me that. But how will I know it’s mature enough to use?

3 Likes

As soon as those initial flowers open that may not have any pollen, everything after that seemed viable. Haven’t harvested the seeds yet but looks pretty promising.

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you!!

2 Likes

Hmm idk why i didn’t see this. Must have been posting at the same time as you. Sorry about that. Not really. And if you want a better clue as to when they will flower, just watch for those first white pistils. I usually find mine right under the the main stalk top. Even though I bend mine like crazy. It’s usually in the same spot every time lol so when I water (which is all the time in coco) I just take a quick look. I note when I see the first ones and get ready lol usually 3-5 weeks from seed.

Your tent 48” tall altogether or is that the room you have left after your lights and everything?? Even though they’re autos, don’t underestimate them! My first 2 were in soil, in a 5’ tent and I did no training- they grew into the lights. I had to bend huge colas away from the light and they still fox tailed on me. So I would def train the shit out of them. Whatever your style is. Scrog, top (I don’t do this to my autos), tie em down. Whatever you do, do it. I have some of the fog dog I got from @corey but I haven’t popped them yet so idk how tall they get.

Other than that, just treat them like any other plant really. Others may tell you different but I’ve babied them and I’ve treated them like I would a photo and I’ve gotten more out of the latter. I guess you will naturally be a little skittish with your first ones but you will see. The only difference is they flower on their own :woman_shrugging: If you’re worried about training and that it will hurt your yield, just do everything before you start seeing those first white pistils. If you don’t see those yet, you still have working time. But really, I’ve even defoliated all the way through. You got this :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks @hollyho !

Yep! I won’t be topping them, but I have a plan for shaping them to keep them in check.
I think the Fog Dogs get fairly big, so I’m taking that into consideration.

This is actually the most helpful thing you could have said. I would have totally been all up in their business, just from not knowing what to expect; new things can really deplete my supply of LITFA. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I appreciate the response!

3 Likes