Micro Growing with Mr.Sparkle *2018 Part 2of2*

Put in some work and am still not done but have the left side all squared away to be up and running as is if need be, still the right side to do and cleaning up wiring and shelving but im also waiting on some parts and doing things different on the right side.

Meanwhile 4days in on some DDf2’s, will be selecting and reversing the ones i like and follow it up with another batch in probably 3-4 weeks from now as then i can take my choices.

I will be starting a new thread shortly for 2019, just will try and get this decently squared away before i post one.

22 Likes

Day 8, they have had a slow/bumpy start, think it was a couple of things, coco being over watered, lower temps, and low humidity, all coupled to a new space… figuring it out.

Already have they sorted in groups somewhat “yes super early”, and have one mutant in there which i put at the back left, but will start thinning some of them out once they start to actually grow and start showing what i can start to see now with a loupe.

11 Likes

Tinkered a bit today on a few things but have a bit more of a glowing pink box.

12 Likes

Got some more things done on it this morning, light seals, cleaned up the wiring, only thing left is to do a watering system and the associated holes for feeding the tubing, will be reusing one of my arduino watering circuits.

Also It’s currently setup to have off board light timing, as im thinking i may just tie it into my sonoff that runs the closet. Could have it onboard but figured why not just as its a bit quicker option

Oh what am i doing with my life hahaha.

14 Likes

Needs some Hello Kitty stickers!

Looking sweet though!

10 Likes

Let me see if I understand your set up. You have the power boards from (3) LED light bulbs (Upper Right) to control the LED Strips?

AC Power comes in to the terminal strip then out to the LED Boards and the transformer (Plug) to convert to 5 or 12 volt to power the fan and what ever the board is below the plug?

3 Likes

pretty much, AC, adjustable DC <=12v for the fan and pump/watering circuit, and light connections but light side is really only for ease of removal, as if i disconnect the lights and fan then that whole section can come out. There is also an off take point for light control, thus the smaller two point terminal strip bedside the main one.

Also got some light going on the right side today too. Still need to make a fan mount and wire the 12v side for the THC15a timer that will be used for watering which you can see in the top right under the hinge.

But will get things going till my parts arrive for the light mover.

8 Likes

Huh? :thinking: Is it practical for these small spaces?

1 Like

Practical depends on your idea of whats practical hahaha.

Short answer no, im doing it just because i want to see. Cost will end up being like $30 to make one.

2 Likes

Of course, lol Gotcha…was thinking you may be on to something and just might be! I look forward to seeing your trials and tribulations with this

Forsure, and the initial thought process was no different than bigger grows but i want to see if i can yield more off the same light amount.

2 Likes

Light movers are unbelievably under-utilized considering their cost vs the amount of lighting they can replace. At this scale tho? :joy: That’s hilarious. Why only engineer when you can over-engineer, right? :grin:

You’ll definitely raise your average gram per kilowatt hour. But even more than that when the light falls at a different angle all the shadows shift, and effectively dissappear over the course of the day.

I can’t wait to see this, where’s the popcorn. :+1:

4 Likes

Lol was essentially my thought on it, and with providing a higher peak light intensity period may trick the plants into thinking they have more light than they do, preventing stretch and yielding more. But yes energy in = yield out but i figure the plants can’t and don’t use all the light that hits them on the first go, so yeah it will be interesting.

Side note thinking of the different angles at which the lights hit, for my left side i actually have the outside two strips angled in at 15-25 degrees, but already looks wise the narrow array seems brighter "which is probably just more light directly reflecting to me viewing it, than bouncing off at different angles like the left side.

7 Likes

Is this like those His & Hers towels & bathrobes… for your hive Queen?

:confused: :dancer:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Got those shelves in for the closet, pretty much done apart from tinkering and clean stuff up.

Made a mistake in planning for this closet, forgot to order in some extra pumps and only realized last night, so even though i started 8 of some of reikox’s Ultraviolet x lowryder crosses back on Saturday, i wont be able to run them all as i only had one extra pump which is 4 spots apart from what is already running, but the limit is because im gone for the holidays so everything will need to be automated.

But saying that i pulled one of the plants and transplanted the one in the purple cup to a bigger cup.
Also decided to pull this sensitive mutant expression in my F2’s, its the leaves go all crinkly so it easy to spot really early for me. So down to 7 and will probably reduce as we go along to potentially fit the new plants.

Also started work on the new style system for watering, super basic but it will work, currently puts out 100ml/10secs per nozzle which is good enough for me, i can increase this rate if i went to a smaller diameter vertical pipe as then there would be less head pressure to deal with, but i may keep an eye out for some smaller tubing to just slide into the man stand off to reduce that water column diameter.

Oh and just need the distribution hose to finish it off, and drill some drainage holes.

18 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle
Is that a 1/2" riser with a distribution head on it?

2 Likes

that it is, going for a simple route so that anyone can copy and do it themselves

1 Like

I am guessing that will screw right in to your 12v pump?

1 Like

no but a bunch of small pumps have that 1/2" fitting which make them more ideal but for me my pumps are smaller but thats what the 1/2" pvc end cap with the hole drilled in it is for. :wink:

1 Like