Mini air conditioners

There is a new mini air conditioner being sold that they claim can lower the temperature of a room 20 degrees. It’s about the size of a toaster. Anyone have experience with these? As soon as I can find a picture I’ll post it.
It’s called Blast portable AC

3 Likes

If this is what your talking about?

It’s a big ol scam brah. :unamused:
Its dependent on cold water to have any cooling effects. Can do the same thing with a freezer pak straped to a regular fan.

15 Likes

You can build a better one. It would probably cheaper too.

A cooler, ice, and a fan.

5 Likes

It’s a scam huh? Sounded like it had an ice tray in the bottom of it, and it would cool for about 8 hours. Thanks for letting me know

2 Likes

Just another take on a swamp cooler :+1:

6 Likes

If you know anyone in the building trades that works at apartment complexes doing contracts, ask if they can get you a split ac unit. Its a wall mounted mini AC unit. It does need to be professionally installed. I have a buddy thats pulling me a used one as the replace them from a complex hes doing, I think I’m going to have the only air conditioned shed in town… they are pricey if you don’t have a guy though.

7 Likes

Ice tray? Yes. 8 hours? Oh, helllll no! The tray is about the size of your hand and will be melted in less than an hour. There are several YT videos with genuine reviews, and none of the reviews are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwmlBP-OAi8

2 Likes

It’s a baby swamp cooler!

You don’t see those around here much as they work best in dry environments… like Arizona. :+1:
If you have humid summers, forget about it.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

This is how I heat and cool my house. They are WONDERFUL!
Had them installed about a year ago. Zero regrets!

1 Like

I had my eye on one of these mini coolers but figured it was just going to take a lot of work… replacing the ice hourly to keep the temps down. Figured they were a big scam… You could definitely get the same result with a bowl of ice in front of a fan probably lol.

3 Likes

[quote=“Purple-N-Hairy, post:7, topic:51572”]
Ice tray? Yes. 8 hours? Oh, helllll no
[/quote
The old expression," if it looks too good to be true it probably is" sounds like it fits here perfectly. I thought it was too good to be true. I was wondering how a little lump of ice could cool a room for 8 hours LOL. I suppose I just wanted it to be true. I need to cool down an 8 foot by 8 foot room so I can use it during the summer. Outdoor air temperatures during use will be from 50 -75, and the room will have up to 1500 watts of light in it. Any recommendations from anyone I would appreciate it. That split AC unit sounds interesting. I have an uncle that’s retired from installing them. If I can keep him away from the booze for 8 hours I’m sure he would do it for me

I do. Very humid sometimes. I’m really not sure what I should be looking for now. I don’t want to run a dehumidifier and an air conditioner and lights

Perhaps I should be looking at some LEDs that don’t produce as much heat? Do these work okay with pure sativas? @YoBigdaddy you are using LEDs right? You built them yourself?

3 Likes

Yes, @Upstate the LEDs definitely change the temperature in my room much more manageable now and with the drivers outside the tent it makes a world of difference. And yes I went with the bridgelux strips and built My own. Working on the second one now I’m a huge fan and you can’t beat the cost I built $1,000 light for a little over 400 bucks And them long flowering sativas just love it.

2 Likes

Dont forget guys, if money is tight…grab one from the trash somewhere. Chances are it will just need cleaned or charged.
Hell, my 5 ton central came out of the trash :joy::joy:

1 Like

Maybe you could get me pointed in the right direction to do such a thing? All your plants look happy. I think the HPS lights are a bit unnatural, and I think they are responsible for causing the hermaphrodites I ended up with. Two Panama and one oaxacan…

1 Like

No prob send you plans tomorrow

1 Like

Little swamp cooler won’t keep temps down for long, you can probably find a used window ac for around the same price.

2 Likes

I’ll have to use the regular air conditioner from the sounds of it. I’m pretty busy as it is, I don’t really have time for a swamp cooler, although I do think they are awesome. I need something that pulls humidity out of the air at the same time as it cools it. Is that what an air conditioner does? I live up in the hills, and we could use air conditioning maybe twice a year in my house. It has gotten above 90 outside once here in 8 years and the next highest temperature was 86. Nights are often on the cool side. We’ve had no use for an air conditioner. We just open the windows at night and close them in the morning.

1 Like

Yeah, air conditioners also function as dehumidifiers. If you’ve got 1500w of hid lights in there a small window ac or a portable ac is your best bet, that way you’re not paying to cool the whole house, just the grow space. I’d still put a standalone dehumidifier in there to I’m guessing with that much light you’re gonna be growing 6+ plants, they put out alot of humidity during flower and if you’re in coco or soil that’s going to be a contributing factor as well so that’s more dehumidifying than the ac can handle.

1 Like

I’m in a pretty humid part of the south and still need to use both. 15k btu window ac and a 50pint/day dehumidifier 3400w hps

1 Like

Thanks for the great info. I don’t know if I’ll be growing six-footers or not, but I plan on having to cover a large square footage with light. Four oaxacan plants i have fill a 6×6 tent pretty good. I can keep these sativas short, but they like to be wide.

2 Likes