MOTR grows with OniTenshu

Zelda’s soil is that mixture of amended soil I was originally working with at it’s core and then the fox farm mix surrounding that.

The fox farm mix is ocean Forest and happy frog both potting soil mixes in a 50:50 ratio.

Tulip is just the test soil I mixed up with gypsum, Epsom salt, coffee grounds, some megacrop, fish fertilizer, and some ewc. So far it retains water better and when watered from below retains it longer. She also seems to love her soil mostly, but I feel there’s something missing from it.

Midna is a 1:1:1 mix of Zelda’s soil mix, Tulip’s soil mix, and the fox farm soil mix. Her soil accepts water after drying the easiest, but still has water retention issues like the rest.

Once I can get myself settled in somewhere I can help with the soil mixing if I really do have that good of a price to help out with. I have friends who just are waiting for soil to start growing, so I’ll start to pay it forward by helping them to start growing. Only once I learn properly and can pass that on to someone will I be paying it forward properly though.

3 Likes

Ok thats not too bad. Instead of telling you what to get to remix this is what we’ll do:

Mondays give Zelda and Tulip 6c water each with 1 1/2 tsp Grow #2; Midna will get 1/2c
Tuesdays foliar feed all (except the Lucky’s) with the transition foliar (1 tsp per 2c water)
Fridays plain water only: 6c ea to Zelda and Tulip; Midna 1/2c
Foliar feed with plain water on Saturdays

You’ll do this until the 3rd week of light flip. Once the grow is over we’ll recycle it using it as a base for a new bed. In the meantime, i’ll make you a shopping list to pick up what you can, when you can so its not so overwhelming getting it all at once

Its a much better price than what I have :wink:

:hugging:

5 Likes

I had heard that Coco adds a phosphorus bacteria in it. I’m wondering if a mix of Coco and peat together with ewc and perlite would make a good basic soil mix? Mixed with compost later when transplanted for flower or overgrown and needing nutrients. I don’t want to steer them wrong if the Coco, peat, ewc, and perlite isn’t all he’ll need to mix with soil to make a soil. He’s all about basic down to earth stuff, but it’s his first grow.

3 Likes

Idk about that…I know it holds onto something making it unavailable so has to be buffered - the hydro guys really like it

Some do mix in Coco and like it…I didn’t as it threw everything out of whack for my cannabis plants though my indoor plants and perennials like it so it didn’t go to waste when I remixed the soil with out it

4 Likes

So without the Coco that’s a good base mix to work with if he could get those? I asked him and he said he could get those

1 Like

Yeah. Shoot for equal parts peat and perlite then a ~1/2 of that amount with compost and ewc. Say you want to make 10 gallons soil…you’ll use 3 1/2 gallons peat, 3 1/2 gallons perlite, 1 1/2 gallons ewc and 1 1/2 gallons compost: veggie, pelleted chicken manure, compost leaves in the soil or a mix of the 2.

2 Likes

He would also have to add lime to balance it out so it would be easier to just replace the peat and perlite with sunshine mix #4
7 gallon sunshine mix #4, 1 1/2 gallons ewc and 1 1/2 gallons compost: veggie, pelleted chicken manure, compost leaves in the soil or a mix of the 2…if it holds onto water too much could always add more aeration later like barley, crushed lava rock etc

2 Likes

Awesome I’ll tell him to grab that. He’s going to a tractor supply company, so hopefully they have that too.

2 Likes

Now for the update today. The only difference between my soils and how they’ve acted after watering last is interesting to say the least. Tulip I added ewc to the top before I had watered on top and bottom for a hour. She’s still moist at the surface, but Happy as a clam.
I never gave her the best in the grow TBH and she just took it in stride. She always got the scraps and is happy regardless for some reason.

As for them dehydrating so fast they don’t appear to be drying out as fast anymore.

Blah blah blah. Anyways the seedlings are pretty much stalled rn. Just working on the leaves they have. I watered extra slow too with the dropper 1ml at a time control soil is already dry looking. In the pictures though it’s not so dry. I can definitely use my camera to check my eyes for soil moisture at a glance. Ignore the 20% on the hygrometer. It’s 16% and climbed up instantly after I grabbed it. The 21% was from when they slept though.

2 Likes

Soils will have their differences depending on their structure with all of them holding onto water at different levels though they all follow the same pattern of drying: from the top down in plastic and in fabric, top and sides…bottom too if its raised

Good

They are not stalled…growth is continuing, we just can’t see it. Think of it more as the roots are enjoying their reward and getting stronger. See, whats happening is:

Soil appears dry as a bone though remains fairly damp through the middle and bottom…top growth appears to be stopped while the roots search for a source of water thinning out and elongating. Once they receive water they need, they stop searching and absorb what they can getting fat enjoying their reward then when hydrated again top growth resumes. As the soils moisture goes down, top growth slows and the roots start their search again…
Fast root growth, slow top growth -> hydrate ->Fast top growth, slow root growth ->low moisture -> fast root growth, slow top growth ->hydrate etc, etc

If the soil stays dry for too long, stems and leaves will droop as roots struggle to find water and start to die off being too thin, unable to supply the top growth with water for transpiration and unable to carry nutrients where its needed so the leaves go soft and limp to help conserve energy as the roots do 1 last growth spurt for a source of water…in a nutrient rich soil, tip burn is often seen as the nutrients are concentrated too much when the roots uptake the water for more growth.

This plant is asking for water and will perk back up once the roots absorb the water they want

This plant is begging for water with the shoot tip going limp and will perk back up once the roots absorb the water they want. Leaf yellowing happens at this stage as water and nutrients are shifted to where the plant can use them more efficiently preparing for the next extended drought period. If too much root death occurs before being watered, the plant will not recover and continue to wilt as the remaining roots cannot sustain the top growth

If the soil stays wet for too long, leaves will droop as the roots struggle to breath and start to die off as they suffocate unable to get rid of the water fast enough so the leaves become rigid and fat like a bunch of speed bumps that then progress to leaf cupping and spindly top growth trying to release the excess water through the leaves (stomata)

These plants roots are suffocating from too much soil moisture and trying to find a balance

This plant has some root death and in root repair mode as the soil releases moisture

This plant’s roots completely suffocated and died staying wet for too long unable to give anything to the top growth

Often when we don’t have watering down to dry enough to promote root growth and wet enough to promote shoot (top) growth through the plants cycles we see both under and over watering issues making it even harder to identify especially when its over an extended period of time.

Anyhow, the seedlings are looking great reaping their reward as they find their root and shoot growth balance :wink:

8 Likes

I enjoyed your description of wet/dry cycles and reading the plant. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

What’s the plan for the plants again?

If it’s LITFA for today I’ll be heading out once I check the other plants for care needed. My aunt just died so I won’t be staying home tonight.

1 Like

Thank you…helps to have visuals to go with the explanations :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing left to do this week is give them a light foliar tomorrow though really it can be skipped while in the 1" pots

I am so sorry to hear that…go do what you need to do and the seedlings will do what they need to do :wink:

3 Likes

Sounds good! I’ll be home tomorrow though. It’s close to time for tulip to want water again

2 Likes

Does your Mam know what you are doing or are you growing on the sly too? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What does EWC and IPM mean?

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss @OniTenshu

3 Likes

EWC = Earth Worm Castings… worm poop
IPM = Integrated Pest Management… insect prevention

3 Likes

Clarification for us that dont no text speak :rofl: I hate Abbreviations. Makes my head hurt :laughing:

3 Likes

My mom does know and my stepfather doesn’t or isn’t mentioning it if he does know. I’ll be able to grow my meds as I please once I can pay some of the electric bill

4 Likes