My attempt at a small drying cabinet

I usually dry in my closet space after harvest but now i would rather use that time/space for other grows. I decided make an easy box that can be broken down easily when not in use. The idea of using a large box has been brought up before but here’s my crack at it.

I decided to use a large wardrobe moving box that can be bought from any box store. The important thing to me was the use of hangers like ive done before in a closet . The wardrobe box comes with a bar for hangers and can be folded flat in seconds, when not in use.

With the box acquired I proceeded to line the interior with a few sections of mylar cut from thick construction trash bags. I overlapped each section about a foot and ended up using three bags.

Then I cut out a vent hole for the intake at the bottom.

I can set up a small desk fan/timer to push air from the outside through this intake .

Velcro tape helps hold the flaps in place.

I will drop frozen two liter bottles in a thermal bag in the bottom to help hold the temps down.

Let me know if you think of any improvements.

16 Likes

I love this idea :bulb: :heart:
Why did you line the box tho? :package: to prevent moisture being sucked into the box?

2 Likes

Exactly, I lined because was worried that over time the cardboard would absorb moisture and lead to unwanted fungi :smile:

4 Likes

Your probably correct. Good call

3 Likes

Nice! Like the wardrobe box :grin:

4 Likes

Very resourceful! The cardboard should breathe and with enough airflow from a small fan would address any standing humidity.

:v:

4 Likes

I have almost the same setup, except it’s two “dish barrel” boxes linked together, also lined with panda film:

4 Likes

Wanted to add a few more pics

At the start I set the fan close to the intake and it pushed a lot of air thorough the top vents, holding around 57% RH @ 65 for the first 24 hours. Soon thereafter i experimented with fan placement to try to key in around 64%. I would move it a bit and alter the direction. I found that placing it about a foot away and moving the direction skewed away from the intake worked the best. I was able to make small adjustments daily so that by the fourth day the directed air was hardly hitting the intake. There was barely any air movement out of the two top vents by the hanger bar.

After the fourth day the fan was no longer needed as the measured RH was holding around 65% I made sure the liner bags where closed up and hoped that Rh would remain somewhat stable.

The box held around 63% for two days so I figured it was time to check for snap. One additional day (7 total) and it was time to trim, This was a little quick but considering I didn’t humidify the space and my house is about 40% ambient right now, it preformed pretty good. And the best part … literally 5 seconds

4 Likes

Pretty nice approach, easy/quick and does the job.

Great :smiley:

1 Like