DIY Wardrobe Conversion - Veg/Prop

In preparation for a small, personal perpetual grow, I’ve converted a wardrobe I got cheaply from gumtree into a two-chamber veg/prop box. Hopefully somebody finds this useful/inspiring :slight_smile:

To get around how very not-lightproof wardrobes are, I decided on a box within a box design, making sliding doors from 6mm MDF, in door runners designed for vivariums, and overdid it with black mastic to try and eliminate unwanted light.

Here are some progress shots:

The air inlet is via a homemade louver inspired by ScrubNinja’s Louver from 10 years ago on the ICMag forum, only I made mine with Black PVC corner pieces and super glue. Saved a lot of time and effort versus the aluminium alternative, and didn’t even need to paint it black! :slight_smile:

Barely ANY light leak through that £7 beauty!

Air extraction’s being dealt with by a 4" RVK with some insulated ducting and a couple of right angle duct pieces that did need the matte black spray paint treatment. Acoustic treatment foam offcuts keep the fan isolated (to a degree) from the wardrobe, so noise is pretty minimal. The fan’s being run through a simple manual fan speed controller, as it’s basically over-specced for the volume of air I need it to move.

Single T5 strip in the lower chamber for prop, and the upper veg chamber will inherit the 250W CFL that I’m currently vegging my first grow under in what will soon become the flowering-only cabinet.

The two chambers will be on the same 18/6 schedule, so light being able to pass between them through the air holes is no problem to me.

Any questions, please ask away!

Tx

16 Likes

Nice job done! :+1: Will be interesting to see it at full work, keep us posted … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Cheers George,

The airflow seems great, I just need to hack a couple PC fans and a PSU to get things moving internally.

Clones going into the Prop box and onto that heat matt after the weekend, so it’ll be in action soon!

Tx

9 Likes

Great job mate, :wink:
This is similar to what I am aiming for in the future.

8 Likes

Nicely done and well thought out. I’ve used the ScrubNinja lovers before. They do work quite well.

4 Likes

This louver’s only roughly 100x150mm, and was made with 15mm corner strip. Considering the gaps are twice the thickness of the PVC, there’s really very little light leak, I’m really impressed.

5 Likes

Wow I love this. I have two closets I can use. One seems good because it has a recepticle inside the closet door. The other has a place in the ceiling that’s square and held in with screws.

I was thinking using the closet without recepticle was best and to replace the square with screws with another piece of wood I was going to flange the fan hose on.

Using your system I get good light seal from the receptical inside and good vent. Very nice!

4 Likes

Thanks, glad you’re into it and it’s got you thinking.

I had initially planned to remove the top shelf from the wardrobe when I got it, but it turns out it’s pretty integral to its structure and very difficult to remove! So I had to change my plans a little, and I’m actually pretty glad I have a separate chamber for the fan, means I can adjust its speed without having to open the veg chamber :slight_smile:

Tx

3 Likes