My first pollen chuck

fun stuff, thanks for sharing!

I like the haircut, i do something similar, to control “freed” pollen.

Good luck with the dusting.

5 Likes

I noticed some deficiencies starting here…

5 Likes

@Grohio hey man, I’m just using some recycled FFOF from a previous run and feeding with the Jacks schedule you shared. Do you pH when feeding?

4 Likes

I got ‘kicked’ trying to recycle some soil (after working on the NPK). I’m thinking I might have a salt buildup…

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Yes i ph my water. Seems to work best for me at 6.0 - 6.5

3 Likes

That’s probably it, thanks fellas. I’m using city water and not pHing, the water is close to 8.0. Will adjust for future waterings. Probably gonna give a dose of recharge here in the next couple days. Thanks again guys :100:

2 Likes

We may have had an early/accidental pollination…
Most of the pistils on all 3 plants are white but a few red receding hairs showing themselves

5 Likes

Recycling soil didn’t work for me either. So there is Mount Promix in my back yard. I welcome ideas for using it.

Blessings…

:cowboy_hat_face::chile:

5 Likes

I’m going to try recycling in a large worm box (50 Gal) this summer. I got half a wheelbarrow load to process.
I also have a good supply of ‘volunteer’ worms in the kitchen. :innocent:
I’m coming around to think I’ll only ever get to recycle 25%. I guess I could build raised flowerbeds to hide the rest… :laughing:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

That’s exactly our plan. Worms seems like more work for me when I can buy worm shit.

Blessings…

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
It’s a national landmark

6 Likes

Find some rabbit , horse or cow manure and mix it heavily with your used soil

3 Likes

I have plenty of Bullshit in my area! :joy::grin:

Blessings…

7 Likes

Most stockyards ( livestock auction barns ) will let you take all the shit ( literally ) that you want for free, since they have to scrape the pens so to keep legs from getting broke from slipping around .

2 Likes

Man one of these phenos has been putting the frost on since day 1.

9 Likes

Kinda late, but here’s my input-

If you’ve got males around females, you’ll get seeds every time no problem. I don’t isolate mine because it would be too much labor and I don’t have the space.

If you isolate your male plants for a while before introducing them to the female plants, you will get a more even ratio of seed parentage, and you will get a slightly higher seed yield because the isolated female plants have had time to preflower and develop decent bud sites for pollination.

If you let them all grow and flower together, the first male to pollinate might produce the most seeds, and it is sometimes possible for the female flowers to become stunted if they are pollinated in preflower. This is not always the case.

The stunting depends on whether or not the female plants continue put out flowers after the initial pollination. Usually they do. Even if your flowers are smaller, it doesn’t really matter because you are growing for seed anyway. The seed parentage ratio is also determined by how long the females flower, and how many calyxes they produce for fresh pollination sites. If your female plants continue to put out fresh calyxes and pistils, then even late flowering males will produce plenty of seeds.

Those will be the only potential differences.

In my opinion, it is always best to have live male and female plants together. There is really no way to fail when making seeds if you have a live male and female growing together. collecting pollen or blending pollen from the isolated males adds more variables, and therefore increased risk of failure. The viability of collected pollen is tough to predict, and requires specific handling. I would recommend pollinating naturally, and maybe collect some pollen to use for a low stakes side project if you want to develop that skill.

7 Likes

You can use furnace filter material. Any filter that says it filters pollen will work, cannabis pollen is a larger particle than most other plants. Very cheap too.

Just cut a piece of filter material to size, and fasten it over your vent port in the tent, so anything you have venting out of the tent will be filtered. It is easy to use one of those adjustable ducting gaskets to fasten it over a vent tube, or directly over the intake of your inline fan.

3 Likes

Nice grow, those look like great male and female selections.

I always enjoy seeing bay area genetics in hybrids.

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by @zephyr
I will defer to your knowledge here and will run em together rather than separate after this run.
The 2 tents are both in my room and with no direct intervention by myself, the pollen traveled from one tent to the other. It seems like maybe 20% of the buds were pollinated and have the red receding pistils. The rest seem like nice healthy budsites.
I think it’s safe to say your average carbon filter will NOT stop pollen, you will need more. I will look into the furnace filters you mentioned, seems like a pretty cheap and easy option.
Next seedmaking run will likely be Bodhi’s Lemon Thai Indy x 88g13hp, I popped 12 about a week ago. I can get more practice during that run.
I would like to develop the skills of collecting, storing, and applying pollen correctly. Once again, I appreciate you stopping by and dropping some more knowledge and techniques on us. Everyone has been so helpful and I’ve learned quite a bit already, I’m sure others have as well.

5 Likes

Little update.

Day 28

I gotta say, I’m impressed by Ocean Grown Genetics so far. These 3 plants are all different phenos but each one is just as nice as the next. Looks like the pollen got in there on it’s own and got a good chunk of the lowers pollinated. The majority of the frosty top buds have all white pistils with no red, so I think I’ll get a decent harvest of flower and a decent seed yield here. Really gotta learn how to contain that pollen better… I think the pollen got into my big flower tent in the other room and got a few buds. Damage looks pretty minimal, I checked pretty thoroughly this afternoon. Looks like it’s only on the plant under the intake ducting(Purple Sponge), which isnt a bad thing cause I dont have anymore seeds of the Purple Sponge. And I liked it enough to keep it around,so hey not the worst thing that could happen. Will give a nice feeding tomorrow and will clean out the 2x2 to get it ready for the Bodhi gear that’s sprouting now :grin::+1:

13 Likes