New grower and member

I’ve grown a number of autos. I prefer to germinate in @JohnnyPotseed’s worm casting method, then once I have 3/4" to 1" tails, move them to semi-opaque solo cups (so I can see root development). My goal then is to transplant them a final time before I see the roots sneaking out the bottom holes. This is usually a few weeks at most. The semi-opaque solo cups help to see when this is gonna happen. By letting them dry a little before transplanting, shock is minimized and the whole cup of dirt is easily transferred in one piece.

Its assumed that one of the triggers for auto flowering to start is when the roots hit the bottom of the container.

And all autos are different. Tall, short, dense, minimal leaves, they have a variety of growth patterns, so keep that in mind.

1 Like

Welcome aboard mate! You’re in the right place, some really knowledgeable people on here and it’s such a great community, I’m new too and it’s been fantastic so far :grinning:.
You’re off to the right start with your first grow mate, one thing I’ve picked up is keep it clean and simple at first :+1: good luck with it all brother! :v:

From your description you’ve got things well sorted, keep doing what you’re doing.
It’s a fun hobby with a nice bonus at the end!

Oh I know the scam too well. lol. I was impressed with how much they gave away though. That House & Garden starter kit is everything needed for one grow. Most of the rest was small samples where I’d need to buy more to finish the grow off so they’ll just go in a box somewhere. I would be interested in a grow without added nutrients though

2 Likes

Had an aquarium hobby for a few years so I definitely understand this one.

I kept bonsai trees for a while and have done many mushroom grows, not quite the same, but some basics carry over like not overdoing it with water.

Not really. I have 3 seeds, if they all pop tails and get to veg I’d hope I could get at least a pound dried out of them. I know auto’s give what they give, and I’ve seen varied results throughout all my video watching so trying to follow along with the techniques that produced the higher yields.

1 Like

Welcome to OG!!

2 Likes

Welcome to OG

If it’s quality information and good conversations you’re looking for, you’re in the right place.

2 Likes

That’s a very lofty goal for a first run with three or less autos IMHO. My first grow was photos and my second / concurrent was autos. If I had started with the autos I probably woulda quit. Couple ounces of pretty, fruity, weak smoke between the three of them. I think photos offer the new grower much more opportunity for experimentation and figuring things out. You can mess up all you want in veg. Figure things out and get them healthy for flower. They will forget all about your early misguided attempts to care for them :yum:. Autos not so much. I can send you some photo fems of good pedigree. Could be soaking within the week :wink:.

3 Likes

I like to set high goals in my hobbies. lol. Still don’t have taproots from two of the seeds though and have one in soil so it’s starting to look like I’m gonna fall well short of my goal.

That would be awesome, the more I read the more it seems like I may have misjudged autos being beginner friendly.

4 Likes

I think that’s a common misconception. Shoot me a safe address by PRIVATE MESSAGE I’ll hook you up with some beans worth growing. Made in my tent so no worries about killing a few.

5 Likes

An outdoor photo in a good sunny fertile spot could produce your pound from one plant. Combining autos and photos could be a good way to go. Your autos will finish first to hold you over until fall.

1 Like

Don’t worry so much about yield. It will come. Focus on best growing practices.

4 Likes

Hello. Welcome. I do use the same lights. MF2000 nice light. Good start. I like your soil mixture. @Eagles009 is a great guy. Good growing.

I’m growing in stacked pots with kitchenscraps and covercrops.
Some grass clippings and treeleaves when it’s the season.
That’s about it, works fine and it’s all free once you let your covercrops go to seed.

Stacked Pots of Joy . 2022 . The Genesis - #24 by Rogue

2 Likes

If ur looking for lbs off a plant then I promise autos are NOT for you. Chopping these 7 today an I’ll be lucky for a qp total. Just how it goes with autos

Guess it’s like they say, shoot for the stars and u may land on the moon

In all seriousness though u may need to rethink that plan

A photoperiod grown all summer in about a 30 gallon soil bag will typically average 18oz, if u find an auto with yields like that then share those magic beans cuz this whole community gonna want some too!

1 Like

I was going off the Mr Canuck Grow video/guide(Final result video linked) that he put up for a Blue Dream Auto grow. IIRC he got ~170g off one plant, and have seen others get stupid high yields from their autos as well, So I set my goal for 3 plants a little lower. I’m definitely aware that a yield like that is the exception, not the rule. Pretty sure I’m only going to have one of these plants anyway as my other 2 seeds seem to be DOA, so hopefully I can at least get an ounce or two from mine and the photo seeds that I have coming will do better.

2 Likes

My biggest auto to this day was Bruce banner #3 grew in 10 gallon under 24hr and got huge, dry trimmed weight was 33 grams 🤷 I figure my average trimmed weight to be around a half o for autos, Anything more than that and I’m happy,any less and it was a waste of space, fav genetics in autos has been anything crossed with creme de la chem cuz consistently I get nice dense, potent and chunky for an auto usually pushing closer to the 3/4- full oz on my yields in my greenhouse under the sun

I am embarrassingly new to this site and growing weed… I’ve been gardening and growing vegetables for 4 years tho and that’s been very fun and nice. But can someone tell me what autos are?

3 Likes

Autos are plants that do not require a light change to start flowering. Photo period plants require a change in darkness such as going from 8 hours of dark during veg to 12 hours of dark to initiate flowering. Autos have been breed with a plant called Ruderalis which is a Russian pot plant which does not require a light change to start flowering. By breeding the low thc Ruderalis plant with a photoperiod plant a number of times you can incorporate that automatic flowering into a regular photo period plant. This is what autos are, plants that automatically flower without a chance in environment.

2 Likes

Check out the search function on the OG.

It will get you all the info you need.

I would try photos for your 1st grow but that is just me…

2 Likes