New grower and member

Hi everyone, just getting started and someone on reddit called this forum out as a good spot for info. I pieced together a grow tent(32x32x63), Maxisun MF2000 light, 5gal grow bags, fan filter etc. I also got a bunch of nutes for free from a local hydro shop that was having customer appreciation day. Scored a free House & Garden starter kit. My grow bags are set up with 20% Strawberry fields in the bottom then topped with an equal mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog, and I put a scoop of just Happy Frog in the middle for the seedlings. I mixed extra perlite into all of it prior to putting it in the pot.

For my seeds I had 3 Blue Dream autos that I got last October and had them in the fridge since I got them(vendor said they were fresh but hard to tell). I got a tail to pop on one, another is starting to split, the third isn’t doing anything. They all sunk during an 8hr soak so I’m hoping the third one is just being difficult. They’ve all been in papertowels since Sunday evening. Just wanted to introduce myself, I’ve been watching a bunch of videos and reading a lot of posts on reddit for the past few weeks, but does anyone have a recommendation for auto guides on youtube? Seems like every person I watch says slightly different things so I’m starting to get information overload with some conflicting ideas. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

32 Likes

You’ll learn a lot from your first grow. I’d suggest starting them in red solo cups and transplanting them to bigger pots when they grow up a bit. Also make sure you’re letting the soil dry out before you water them again.

Don’t be afraid to try out photoperiod seeds either, because you can control how long they spend in veg it gives you a much wider margin for error.

Welcome to OG!

10 Likes

Welcome :sunglasses: enjoy your stay!

3 Likes

@msm187 welcome to the Forum you picked a good choice.

4 Likes

So from what you are explaining and tell us you should be okay with your first grow and of course start up a grow journal and take pictures 2-3 times per week and in future grows you will learn so much from the pictures and also can see huge difference in weeks but anyways once you start your grow post everything good and bad if you don’t know or can’t figure out an problem or issue I’m more than 1000% sure that someone will have a reply and answer for you I’ll be following along myself! Cheers and welcome

7 Likes

Hey, welcome to OG @msm187 . My best advice is look around here thought some grow journals. There is tons of information on growing just about anything right here on OG, no need for Youtube :slight_smile: This way you can see grows as they go naturally and not compressing into a video.

11 Likes

I recommend taking a little of everything from what you like of the videos and also post here on OG and running with it and see what works for you and what doesn’t gotta be willing to experiment a little bit. I unfortunately killed a couple plants in the beginning. Trial and error but don’t be afraid to ask questions here there are a lot of knowledgeable guys and gals around here. I’ve had extremely good luck with starting with cotton makeup pads myself combined with some fulpower (fulvic acid) I use it now even when the seeds aren’t stubborn just habbit i guess. here are some tails from a couple days ago.

I hope you get exactly where you want to be! good luck!

4 Likes

Keep it simple, it can be overwhelming at first :slight_smile:

Autos aren’t my specialty buy I prefer to start them in their final container.

Seedlings need very little nutrients. They are self sufficient for 2-3 weeks before needing anything added. That’s why a solo cup is great to start in & then pot up somewhere in that timeframe.

Not entirely sure if that applies to autos… but I also haven’t had any issue starting in nutrient rich soil so… take it with a grain lol

Welcome to the club btw!

3 Likes

Seems the common thought for autos from what I’ve gathered is since it’s a race to the finish it’s best to pop a tail then put them in the final pot so there’s not wasted time recovering from the stress of being transplanted.

3 Likes

Welcome to the club, everyone had there own style/way to how they grow. You just have to figure out what methods you can do with your setup. Also, since you are a new to growing a common early mistake people do is harvest there plants to early.

3 Likes

That is one way you can do it, nothing wrong with the seed going straight into its growing container after it pops open. Just need to be careful when watering.

2 Likes

This will be an issue, not one I’ll give into but I will want to. lol. Was a struggle on my first shroom grow too. I grabbed a jeweler’s loop to check the color of the trichomes so I can harvest at the right time.

2 Likes

I was told early on another forum to let the tri`s get cloudy with a small amount or amber. I now know I need a lot more amber for what I like.

1 Like

Since no one else said it yet I will lol

Don’t water your plants everyday! Lol
Roots love oxygen too and best to leave it alone for 4-5 days at a time.

Autos are like autopilot for weed. Put together a good soil for the plant which it sounds like u did give it a nice corner somewhere with lots of light and not getting molested by bugs and harsh elements and let nature do it’s thing just watering once or twice a week. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. Every auto I’ve thrown in a corner and neglected for 3 months has usually turned out pretty good(for an auto lol)

5 Likes

You gonna get a whole lot more of that here, no worries. :smile:

Let me know if you’re interested in learning how to grow without having to buy bottles.

They only give their nutes away for free because when you run out you’ll have to buy more.
They make it seem like they appreciate you but really they’re appreciating your money.

5 Likes

Welcome!!

Starting out my biggest learning curve was watering seedlings. Overwatered and killed many before I got it right.

A good idea on when to harvest. When you think it’s done and ready, wait a week!

And the best advice I can give…Don’t be afraid of mistakes. We all have screwed up a lot of shit!!

6 Likes

So true watering them is where most mistakes happen over watering and also nutrients over giving them usakly if I do give them depending the medium I usually give a 1/4 dose at about week 2ish but all depend on your setups

2 Likes

I’m locked in with my nute regime. Simple, cheap, and effective. Still new to this compared to most. One thing I’ve learned in the past 2 years. Just when you think you know something, the plant humbles you.

3 Likes

There is so many issues that a plant can give out and show if they don’t have enough of something or even if they have to much of something they can show different types of signals it’s unique

Aloha

Study @ReikoX grows :sunglasses: for auto experiences.

The new grower anxiety can last a few years :sweat_smile: but learning by doing is the only way.

90% of the grow store is unnecessary :thinking:

The secret to good homegrown is commitment but not over-doing things. Kinda like a fish tank— if you neglect it too much it will all go badly but if you over feed & change the water too often, etc. adding weird color boosters :sweat_smile: it’ll be a toxic mess.

If you have any previous gardening experience that is hugely helpful but if not, no worries.

Sanitation is more important growing indoors than outdoors, IME.

Do you have a targeted yield in mind?

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes