No need to ph water for organic?

My first time hearing this from this article. Is this true? Have I been wasting my time ph’ing my water? I’m using autos and feel like I’d rather not wait for a sign of an issue to arise. Thoughts on this idea?

2 Likes

That kind of depends on your starting ph but I would still get it in the ballpark if it were me.

4 Likes

Just anecdotal bro science observation here but I dont think it works that well when growing in pots to not ph the water. My tap water is 8.0 and if i dont ph down to 7 or 6.5 my plants get all messed up.
I am assuming that there just isn’t enough soil in the pot to manage the ph before it hits roots.
Outdoor grows usually have far more soil for the water to work itself through and ph correct it.

9 Likes

IMHO
Organic bottled , Yes . Organic premixed soil , No . Not if the mix is right. That doesn’t mean you don’t need to PH if your water has a ph of 4 . But with a good mix you do not need to ph the water if it is in the zone that most peoples water is .

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken Subcool said he didn’t even ph with his supersoil and never had a problem. His soil was pretty robust though.

2 Likes

He also ran 15 or 20 gallon pots.

In 10 years of growing organic soil in pots of various sizes from 1 gallon to 10 gallon, I get better buds and higher yields when I pH to 6.3-6.5. that’s either with food or without. Try coast of Maine stonington, I’m having amazing results with 25% added perlite, then just calmag and pH down and water. No more bottles! And looks as good or better than running roots soil and the full roots line of nutes.

When I ran supersoil with the TGA recipe it’s really hot at first, you want to just water and let it cook for at least 3 months. I honestly found it to give me the best result grows 2-5 in it without amending. Same thing though, if you pH your water down to mildly acidic it worked considerably better.

8 Likes

Not outdoors unless you’re not getting rain.

I’m using the same soil currently. I rather PH and prevent problems then wait for them to occur. I’m
Also using calmag and ph up and down as needed.

1 Like

I was honestly amazed how it performed for me

Langbeinite and dolomite lime are natural pH buffers making whatever you water it with automatically come out around 6.5 pH (if I remember exact numbers correctly I researched all this year’s ago). Peat moss acts as a pH buffer as well, which is why I run Promix with all my organic amendments in it.

Point is, yes you SHOULD monitor your pH, but there are also things you can do so that you have to monitor it as minimally as possible, because every single nutrient you add to your watering changes the pH and when those nutes and water hit the growing medium that changes the pH, which is why you SHOULD always check runoff pH not pH going in

ALWAYS easier to be preventative than try and fight an ongoing problem

Science is super cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My ph comes out of the tap at 7, it’s rather soft too so ph tends to dip downwards., I’ve never adjusted ph but maybe I should give it a try. Though I’ve been mixing tap water with the dehumidifiers water too.
I use promix with more perlite and amend with a dry blend. I I should prob look into trying cal/mg instead of just Epsom salt during bloom.

2 Likes

That sounds like pretty dreamy water to me. Dont think you’d need bother with ph down then. Might want to check the ph of the dehumidifier just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Anybody who doesn’t like the pH of their water source should know that Evian water is 7.2

A good starting point :joy: a gallon at a time

2 Likes

I was always told growing in soil (especially larger containers)
There was no need to PH but I always ran in to ph related problems
Ever since I check ph every time and make sure I’m in the 5.8 to 6.2 range I never have issues

I do fine if I bring my fertilizer (jacks ) mixture up to 550 ppms or better my ph is fine every time I check

5 Likes

I was taught on my first grow to ph every time. This grow I’m on now is the first time I had issues requiring ph’ing my runoff though. And it’s just one plant in the same soil as the others. Odd.

2 Likes

Some plants want different things. I usually run a few strains at a time and sometimes they don’t all play nice with the same inputs.

To the point where I’ve culled a strain because everyone else wanted the same thing except for that one.

4 Likes

Exactly, my problems went away after dialing in PH …soil or no …just PH your water…

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth !

2 Likes

You can also use Voss for your plants with more refined tastes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It all depends on your water source and your soil pH… micronutrients are best absorbed in acidic environments.

5 Likes