Noise reduction fan boxes

Jetfan is about as smooth as I have seen. I never seen infinity. The jet is amazing.

1 Like

@Hemp I’ve just been reading up on them they sound fantastic. And from what I read a fraction of the power usage.
Only bummer for me is I can’t seem to find any where that stocks them over here

1 Like

do you think the collapse could have happened due to humidity over time weaking your roof structure?

1 Like

Hey DukeHale, it was not an actual hole in the roof, but a hole melted into the snow on the roof.
So picture a snow covered roof, with 3 foot melted hole in the snow showing, something unusual was taking place up there. The exhaust heat was giving me up, well I thought so for a few days.

I was going to switch to from flex to insulated flex for the exhaust but I decided to give something else a try first. I had some extra PVC around so I just had to buy the 90* elbow and rubber connections. Worked out pretty well…

I

used a piece of extra thick sound/vibration reducing rubber to mount the fan on.

It seams to have reduced the sound by 75%, almost cant hear the dang thing :smile:

6 Likes

Smooth wall tubing is great. :+1:
A 10 foot section of smooth has the equivalent resistance to 1 foot of flexible.
Mind you, our ‘runs’ are usually short…

Those rubber connectors are doing some serious dampening too.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

you can use that for a homemade carbon filter too. i did it years ago.

5 Likes

@imstinky that’s a great start, I’ve seen a few rave warehouses with old soapstone laboratory tables as the DJ stand, and also a place with a custom table made from 4x4 timbers and carriage bolts, with a granite slab top sitting on top of the $5 blue closed cell foam sleeping pads from Walmart. Mass is your friend here, mass and rigidity to prevent sympathetic vibrations on both sides, with an isolator in the middle is the way to better sound. What I’ve seen most of my DJ friends use for home use or portable setup is something like these products:

https://elusivedisc.com/search.php?search_query=vibrapod

You can even double up for better isolation by putting the pucks down on the tabletop, get a cheap laminated bamboo cutting board big enough to hold the turntable and put it on top. Then put more pucks or the Vibrapod feet, or even some inexpensive silicone replacement feet on the turntable and put it on top. That’s the setup the home audiophiles on the forums seem to recommend for an isolation setup that’s at least as good as the $2-300 iso platforms. You can also get Sorbothane slipmats, obviously not for scratching but for regular record playing they are also supposed to help:

Those Sorbothane discs are super useful in general for putting under anything that makes a lot of vibration or can’t tolerate it, they come in all sizes but the material has to be the real stuff to work right, it’s the same thing they use in shoe insoles. You can use double sided carpet tape to cheaply turn the little pucks into feet and stick them on anything like fans, pumps, drum kit feet, a blender or coffee grinder etc.

Aftermarket tonearms and cartridges with a lighter weight than stock can also help with vibration problems since they have less mass to flutter if they get bounced off the record. When it comes to needles/cartridges I don’t know much except that my friends seem partial to Ortovon and Audio-Technica for their 1800s.

4 Likes

Right on! Those iso pads are cheaper than I thought. I’m gonna add them to my wish list.

I’m no dj, just love me some loud tunes. And I love to tinker too so upgrading things is right up my alley. Thanks a bunch.

3 Likes

Great ideas guys if I incorporate most of these into the one I reckon it will be the most stealthy fan setup around :grinning:.
I love the idea of the smooth pvc tubing and the diy carbon filter :sunglasses:
So ice got the wood, some sound proofing foam; some polystyrene and I like the idea of the rubber base to mount on. So I’ll see what I can come up with.
I fo need to connect to a filter and have thought about the idea of the final exit of the air to run through a home made silencer

2 Likes