In line fan Silencer do they work

Hi all
my 8 in in-line fan is load AF
I see silencers on the market from 69 usd to 125 usd

I see that these can be a dyi project for 1/4 of the price !!

I have a few questions for the community

Do you use them ?
Do they work ?
Is it worth the $$$
Has anyone made they’re own dyi filter ? If so how did it turn out

Here’s a dyi video

https://www.google.com/search?q=dyi+in+line+fan+muffler+8+in&source=hp&ei=f52QY_r1Jd6gptQPyKyEiAc&oq=&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBABGAAyAggpMgIIKTICCCkyBQgpEIAEMgIIKTIFCCkQgAQyCAgpEBYQHhAKMgIIKTIFCCkQgAQyBQgpEJECMgUIKRCABDIFCCkQgAQyBQgpEIAEMgIIKTIOCAAQjwEQ6gIQjAMQ5QIyDggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCMg4IABCPARDqAhCMAxDlAjIOCAAQjwEQ6gIQjAMQ5QIyDggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCMg4IABCPARDqAhCMAxDlAjIOCAAQjwEQ6gIQjAMQ5QIyDggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCMg4IABCPARDqAhCMAxDlAjIOCAAQjwEQ6gIQjAMQ5QIyDggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCMg4IABCPARDqAhCMAxDlAjIOCAAQjwEQ6gIQjAMQ5QIyDggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCMg4IABCPARDqAhCMAxDlAkoFCEASATFQAFgAYJUJaAFwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAsAEd&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f57221dc,vid:baaHzg3YcCM

5 Likes

I did this.

I bought a few HVAC fittings from the depot (4” to 6” reducer and some chicken wire.)

Then I destroyed a couch and used the foam to wrap around the chicken wire cylinder. Then I wrapped some leather around that for good measure.

Not a miracle cure but it did help.

5 Likes

Thanks for you responding so quickly

Cool Would you say it dropped it down by 25% ?

1 Like

I don’t know much about the inline silencers, but I had a real noisy fan that I put inside of a tote that I lined with pillows and egg crate foam so I wouldn’t hear the fan anymore. Just had to cut a hole on each side for the ducting to go through

6 Likes

Thanks @Illicitmango
I may just try that as well

2 Likes

Maybe 25%. Maybe.

I ended up buying a more powerful fan and running it at lower speeds but the silencer was in service for a couple of years and was definitely better than nothing.

5 Likes

My grow cab has a long, foam filled exhaust muffler. It works really well. Reduces the noise by 2/3-3/4 when it is attached. Which is always unless I am cleaning pollen out of it after a seed run.

The actual inline blower fan itself is mounted inside the cab, so the cab itself is working like the tote with pillows described above.

1 Like

As a sufferer of hearing disorders I’ll let you in on some magic, but not voodoo like @Foreigner 🪆:dash: :joy:

Source, path, receiver
…is the order of priority

Distance, thickness, material
…is the order of efficiency in blocking the path

Memorize it :call_me_hand:

:evergreen_tree:

9 Likes

Makes sense to me. In my case the source was a fan on minimum, the path was the silencer and the receiver was Mrs Foreigner’s sensitive ear drums.

I have insulted ducting too but never got around to using it. It’s a bit of a bitch to work with.

4 Likes

Is nothing sacred to you?

The insults never end.

I can get behind this idea. I leave my fan at 10-20%, like a gentle but persistent whisper.

5 Likes

Nope. Nothing sacred. I went to midnight mass once and brought lots of whiskey.

In my defense it was such a short run of ducting that I just couldn’t be bothered and didn’t see the benefits in a cost benefit analysis.

3 Likes

That should work @Papalag

3 Likes

I have a bookmark of a good looking project for this if ever needed, I like that this guy’s coming at it from a speaker/audio designer standpoint like building driver enclosures.

3 Likes

Oh I get it now. Fuck you ducting!

I’m a bit slow this morning.

2 Likes

AFAIK the idea is like a sealed subwoofer, you need to have some pressure sealing to keep the noise inside besides dampening material to absorb

2 Likes

Yeah going to try dyi muffler first then build something like the insulated tote idea

When talking to my neighbor we share a wall attached at the garages he only hears it when he’s in the garage

So if I move it off that wall try the silencer first then the box

I agree with distance is a factor that could help also

3 Likes

I’ll also say, @Papalag that if you’re switching fans in the future the AC Infinity Cloudline I got to replace a cheap Vivosun is so damn quiet, though I did size it up and use a larger fan than needed so it runs low. I think they’re probably the most silent option you can get outside maybe commercial grade stuff and even that IDK.

2 Likes

Yeah @Dirt_Wizard went the cheap way

I do own a 6 in ac infinity ,I use as in take and is way quitter then the 8 in vivosun there was a big difference in price
Oh well

I still have to fix it do think I can exchange it with Amazon

2 Likes

Agree my AC Infinity is way quieter than my older fan.

1 Like

Yes, my 8" AC Infinity fan is quiet. The sound of that much air whooshing, even at 50%, not so much.

I did the DIY silencer on my old 2x3 cab and had decent results. It was large and cumbersome though.

6 Likes