Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm.. *reborn* (Part 8)

University textbooks can be very expensive. Not as expensive as in the above image but very expensive.

@Oldjoints play the game of life? I can barely manage real life :joy:

3 Likes

Here also pretty shitty if you have to pay like 20-40ā‚¬ per book and you need like a few so 200ā‚¬ per semester is nothing but only for my interests abou what kind of money were talking like roughly?

The key to the game is to never spin the dialā€¦.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been in university for a long time so itā€™s hard to be accurate but my experience wasnā€™t so much that the books were overly expensive it was that I needed so many of them.

But other perhaps more specialized technical books can be as expensive as you say.

Itā€™s more that itā€™s an expense people forget about. Tuition, rent, food, people remember those things. And then you need to pull 3k you donā€™t have out of your ass.

2 Likes

Roughly an 4 month budget at my university time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The universities here are in real financial trouble.

I donā€™t remember what university cost. Iā€™ve blocked it from my memory as a defence mechanism.

2 Likes

I tried an online university in 2017, after 6 weeks my cost was over $6000.
I quit immediately ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

I was bored one day and got a certificate as a life coach. No joke.

Need a life coach?

I think it was $39.99

4 Likes

You overpaidā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

I was REALLY bored.

Itā€™s expired now so I canā€™t legally coach life anyway.

3 Likes

I remembered paying like 280 per year bus card included.

But i remembered i visiting an an English law class, the guest prof from Atlanta told us that one 1 year is like 60k without books.
And this is already 5 years ago.
The holiday house of my family was like 65k, and and a few years ago you could buy my the neighbors house of parental home for like 170k.
That you guys get only an bachelor for the money is pretty ā€œweirdā€ for me. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Iā€™m Canadian so itā€™s not as expensive as that, certainly not for an English degree, but that sounds about right.

This is a source great tension here. The cheapest house where I live is a million dollars. A holiday house (which I take to mean cottage): also a million dollars.

Itā€™s crazy.

2 Likes

Here also the price raised realy in the last few years but it depends where you live.
The brother of an friend bought like 2-3 years ago, in an suburb of colone.
He paid 1,5million for an standard single family home.
My childish thinking makes me still believe that if you have a house for an million that it should be a fucking mansion and not an regular family home.
But generally itā€™s fucked up nowadays.

4 Likes

It makes me think of the joke ā€œthereā€™s a new weapon that kills everyone but leaves all the buildings intact. Itā€™s called a mortgage.ā€

But youā€™re right it does depend where you live.

My childish thinking is that a house is not a commodity.

4 Likes

More like Jungle Book meets Sanford and son

3 Likes

4 Likes

bonds? what the hell is a bond? i live in the state that coined the term redneck and have never heard that term used as something essential for anything, except maybe gold bond.

Textbooks can easily get into the $2-300 dollar range apiece. I havenā€™t seen any much higher though. Nowadays they sell you an included scratch off access code for a website where homework must be done. So even if you can find a cheap used book, youā€™ll still have to pay 50-200 for a fresh code to actually do your work. Iā€™m surprised so many teachers are so lazy that they support this system.

All of the best classes I ever took either provided free PDFs of all the readings (humanities) or wrote down everything youā€™d need to know on the chalkboard, designed and graded all of the homework themselves (STEM classes) so there was no actual need to spend extra money and no miserable third party website where all the homework was hosted and graded.

Rednecks used to refer to the red bandanas worn during labor disputes in Appalachia, crazy how itā€™s just another convoluted soft slur now

3 Likes

1 Like