Non-standard Light Cycles

Works fucking awesome. One 4’ wide x 6’ tall trellis panel is now effectively 48ft² of growing space and is easily accessible from both sides for training the plants.

2 Likes

Here’s the best part; the whole system is fully portable, with the living plant in place.

1 Like

clones/seedlings/veg 18/6
flower 11/13
reason for 11 is the reduction of power, aswell as lower chance of hermies aswell as it shows better phenotypical expression.

If i throw a plant in darkness its usually 24hr, no more is really necessary for what ive seen,

2 Likes

Hi, Thank you for sharing… do you recall any source from where did you got this info or facts/ observations from where you made this conclusion?

1 Like

Helloo i forgett to turn of the light in the roof in my growroom this night.
Could someone tell my if i destroy somting . The lamp in the roof is 40 w .
I hear about the moon light destroy harvest in nature .
Gratfoul for answer

1 Like

Hi,

Counter argument:
moonlight is a natural thing in nature… I wonder how one race of plants would survive if moonlight would destroy flowering.

Flowering cannabis requires a long night. Extra long day might stress plants but that is strain/plant specific characteristic.

I would just keep on trucking and keep an extra eye on plants (yes, pun intended)

3 Likes

Tanks för info :sparkling_heart: and i Will look over my babys eget day.

Using the data graphs from my doser, I do notice that the plants eat more nutrients and put out more humidity in the first 6 hours when compared to the second six.

Regarding light cycles, those of us who were active online in the 90s cannabis forums may remember ‘planet Ito’ named after the user who invented it, Mr Ito.

You get a 7 day digital timer and set night to be 12 hours and day to be 21 hours 36 minutes which gives you 5 days a week.

You get 80% more light in 40% more time.

Again, as with all light schedules that vary from 12/12, there is no evidence it made any positive improvements and my view is that if it worked well without issues people would be doing it all over.

Obviously, this was before auto flowering plants were widely available so this may be a cycle that would work well for those.

EDIT :

What moonlight does is signal to the plant that is has been flowering too long without being fertilised. It is not bright enough to stop flowering but it is a signal timed to be monthly that the plant responds to.

So it puts out male flowers.

This is why light leaks at night make plants go hermie.

3 Likes

Thank you for the excellent answer !!

That got my brain running again and I did a bit of number crunching.

Just to be on the safe side… I do embrace discussion and analysis of non standard approaches. I am not trying to bash anyone… most certainly not you MicroDoses as you have given the very nice answer to my questions.

I think my option on long day has sifted due to said number crunching I decided to share this as the long day discussion pops up every now and then. I have not seen any analysis on what would be the required increase in yield so … Am i first to the punch?

Yes… the standard trade off of getting better light/dark ratio is that 70 day 10 week flower period will end up taking … 14 weeks…

so … roughly three runs at 7 day week ~= two runs at 5 day week. first is 30 weeks and second is 28 weeks

now … first uses 15 weeks of electricity and second one uses … roughly 18 weeks. (20% more)

Soo… TWO runs with 5 day week would have to produce 20% more than THREE … runs with 7 day week.

one rune with 5 day week would have to produce +80% extra when compared to 7 day week harvest.

Taking into account that fair amount of things will get a bit more complicated with 5 day week schedule… I would say one run would have to produce DOUBLE the yield as compared to 7 day week run.

Yes. I have done no standard schedules … no comparison, just to test things out. My feeling is that results were not good enough to warrant promoting longer day schedules.

I am aware that there are advantages on long day schedules which will make it a good tool … purely from efficiency point of view … I think I am now in the ‘its not worth the effort’ … at least until I find a flaw in my thinking OR see results that prove it to be clearly more efficient

Take care and keep researching … and be safe

Bugbee’s relatively new research on photoperiod interruption under moonlight.

How Dark is Dark Enough? Darkness level requirements for plants with Dr. Bruce Bugbee:

… if you bring a large type book into your grow area and can’t read the words, it’s dark enough.

4 Likes

Sorry if there is already an answer to my question in the topic, but it is very, very, very long to translate all the messages of the topic through Google Translator, so I ask … Now in my area, the light is switched off for four hours and will be four hours. Most of all, I am worried about one of the tents in which there are dusty plants and ripen nuts. How can such a lighting mode be displayed on nuts?
By the way, it will be useful for someone that it is not a stable lighting mode (sometimes there was no light at all for 18 hours at all) is poorly reflected in the pollen formation. The boy almost did not give pollen, very little. A considerable number of flowers fall off without opening at all.