OG Website Feature Wish List

:smile: Geek talk.

For creating formatted tables in a post.

Something like:

Or something like:

There are tools on the web that you can create the markup, copy and paste, and you end up with a nice looking table. Can have photos in the cells, links, etc…

6 Likes

Above my head, but cool. :grin:

4 Likes

Hey @LemonadeJoe and @moderators in general. I had a couple questions about the forum and I couldn’t find a more appropriate place than this old thread. Sorry if it’s an inappropriate bump. :blush:

I want to indent part of a post. How do I do that on this site? The text editor options don’t seem to offer me that ability.

And, in the same vein as the first question, is there an option somewhere to provide more text editing options? I feel like what I see is the simple editor, and there’s gotta be an advanced editor somewhere. I see only what’s underlined in blue:

Are there more options somewhere that I’ve overlooked?

Does it understand BBCODE? Here’s a bunch to try out the various codes:

[INDENT]Indent
[INDENT]Indent more

I can quote anything indented more

[/INDENT][/INDENT]
This is align left.
[CENTER]This is centered.[/CENTER]
[RIGHT]This is aligned right.[/RIGHT]
[COLOR=#b30000]This is maroon text. I can choose from a billion colors.[/COLOR]
[SIZE=7][COLOR=#000000]There are seven options for text size, plus a Headings option.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4]There[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4] are[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=4]a bunch[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4] of dif[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]ferent[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]fonts[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4], [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]too.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

It didn’t seem to understand anything but the left align command and the quote command. Here’s a normal copy/paste of some formatted text to see if it understands the formatting of text from the clipboard.

Indent
Indent more

I can quote anything indented more

This is align left.
This is centered.
This is aligned right.
This is maroon text. I can choose from a billion colors.
There are seven options for text size, plus a Headings option.
There are a bunch of different fonts, too.

I suppose it didn’t understand that pasted text either, except quotes. Hmm.

What do you guys think? I wouldn’t mind a few more text editor options. :slight_smile: It appears to

understand at least a little basic html?

but not blockquote. Boo.
4 Likes

As far as text alignment, these work for that.

<div align="center"> Text here </div>
Text here

<div align="right"> Text here </div>
Text here

<div align="left"> Text here </div>
Text here

I too would like more features in the text editors, or basic BBCode support as well. Perhaps LJ can chime in and tell us how hard/easy these would be to implement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We support simple HTML, basic tags from BBCODE and of course Markdown (which is easiest to learn and use). Checkout documentation to Markdown:

https://commonmark.org/help/

BBCODE tags are limited to basic ones. We don’t allow changing font families, font colors and sizes ([FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4]), just basic formatting. Manipulated fonts make reading harder (unusable on mobile) and sometimes led to very aggressive formatting ., I like how clean our post view looks.

For indent I use quoting using >, or lists using *.

You can still create nice looking and well formed article using Markdown. For example here.

3 Likes

It’s not a site feature per se, but… what about a regular or semi-regular thread for “News” or “Admin/Mod announcements”? “Moderator Wish List”? :wink:

:newspaper:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Joe announces all mod and leadership promotion.

1 Like

I like the clean, uncluttered look here. I’m all for keeping it that way. :+1:

5 Likes

Is there a bugs thread in your forums? Can’t find one. The image tags in hypertext code do not resize as the should for previews on my pc. Running Chrome on Win 10 AMD CPU and Graphics

May I suggest users avail themselves of some of the other tools like https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker

Maybe a user faq for the tools exists even?

I already asked for a bug thread for a markup issue as I understand it. Images should respond to size tags in the link and for me the page is not downsizing the issue…could be something my end though. Anyone else?

:smile_cat: the emoticons are a :checkered_flag: as is the use of -tab- key to fill them out after the colon :sun_with_face:

Co-sign

1 Like

It would be nice if we could change titles on bookmarks and/or add notes. For instance I bookmarked a post about STS from MOTR, but its buried in all my other bookmarks under the title of MOTR Does Micro. Would make referencing the bookmarks easier. Some of them I dont even know what they are until I go in.

3 Likes

There are bookmarks?! :face_with_monocle:

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Yup. You can click the topic controls at the bottom of a thread to bookmark the whole thread or the 3 dots at the bottom of a post and click the banner looking thing with 2 points at the bottom, kinda like an upside down M. To look at your bookmarks click your icon where you go for messages and click the same upside down M looking thing.

4 Likes

I’d love pinch to zoom on mobile. When I click a picture it gets bigger but I still can’t pinch to zoom in I have to open the image in a new tab. Unless I’m doing something wrong which is quite likely lol

4 Likes

Out of likes but yes! I quit zooming unless I REALLY want to see it (on mobile only atm). I feel like I’m playing battleship every time I zoom in. Start at A1, check D5… miss… zoom out and see how far off I was… F2…

4 Likes

I have the exact same problem. Ends up a pain in the ass if someone is asking advice about trichomes :v:

2 Likes

I believe it can be enabled/disabled via the scalable attribute, but I’m not sure what framework the site runs on.

1 Like

Might have been posted before but couldn’t find in thread through the search button.

Ability to post larger photo sizes. I rarely post pics on here because they either have to be cropped or I have to set my cell phone camera to a lower resolution. Or maybe a way to auto resize pics that are too large. The file size of pictures that come off my cellphone are around 7mb so I can’t imagine what a good camera might be. Don’t see the difference in posting 10 smaller pics or 2 larger ones. Would love to be able to share more pictures on here without having to do as much work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

would be nice if we had thumbnails and then click to view…would save bandwidth for cell users and the server. Maybe a default to 800x600 then click to view a higher rez image (could be compressed format?)

2 Likes

Isn’t that what is happening now? I see an “optimized” version before I click on it and get “original” here.

2 Likes