Oleskool’s shitkicker grow show

There might be more where Oleskool lives, but just northwest where I was at it was less.

Hey, @ganjajuana has been to Texas!.. that’s my old neighbor, lmao… it’s fucking HOT DOWN THERE… and, I have to go and work out in it in a couple of weeks. It was 48 here this morning… on the other hand, it makes cold beer taste sooo much better.

That’s a very cool area. It has a ski hill not too far away and is more of a local place, called Monarch Mountain. I want to go there and get back on my snowboard. It’s been a long minute since I snowboarded but I used to be a fiend! I lived in Montana for 12 years in my young and healthy days… I still have my last board… a Nitro Fusion 172cm heh, heh, it’s a dream in powder because of the length and has a nice camber and aggressive side cut that makes it turn well, too. After going to that web site to copy the link, that front page video makes me want to go today… or start working out to go next year… damn, that is perfect looking boarding terrrain… steep, high speed, deep powder. I’m about 2.5 hours away maybe. it would be a colder place to live generally. It’s higher elevation so the seasons are a little different. Stunning country though.

3 Likes

Very Kool thanks. That could actually be the answer my friend. A little pricey but sounds ideal. It’s about what I spent on a window AC last year that couldn’t do the job. This unit would be inside the tent?

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

You probably could. It doesn’t have an intake or exhaust. If humidity is 40% or lower they work great. I have a large unit on my roof for cooling my whole house. The AC works better in the grow though.

4 Likes

never seen the evaporative coolers before - is it just a fan blowing over water? For 100 watts you could run two $15 box fans blowing over big tubs of water. At what humitidy level does it start working though? The outdoor humitidy will have to be very low to have low humidity with the plants in there transpiring away.

If 1 pound of dry ice = the price of a 30-pound block of regular ice the water ice is probably cheaper I’m thinking - unless dry ice holds 30x more heat energy than water ice, I doubt it’s that good. A bigger block of dry ice is going to last much longer though.

…I checked…If I understand this right, the “enthalpy of sublimation” of water ice is 333.5 kg/kj, for dry ice it’s 571 kg/kj, so dry ice will only be about 1.7 times as effective per pound as water ice. I’m guessing dry ice is far more than 1.7 times the cost of water ice…better stick with the regular ice blocks

*edit - wait a second though - the dry ice is sublimating - the water ice is not, it’s melting - going from solid to liquid. Maybe that takes more energy…aha! The energy required to go from solid to liquid is “enthalpy of fusion” not sublimation…but Wikipedia is giving the same number for enthalpy of fusion - 333 kg/kj. So the 1.7x price metric would be correct

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ve never used one…not sure why I hadn’t thought of that for here. Last summer was brutal at first. humidities around 16%. Very nice right now, though. Only made 90 once I think.

2 Likes

Saw this over at the Sparkling Sparkle Palace:

:smile: …then @ShiskaberrySavior showed me these:

:money_with_wings:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

@oleskool830, a little trick I used back in the day, was to use -45 windshield washer fluid, (a water anti-freeze mixture could work as well).
I started with 10 in the freezer and would rotate 2 into my cooler at a time, with the space between them filled with small frozen water bottles. The inlet at the bottom of one end and the outlet at the other end running to my grow room inlet and letting the exhaust fan suck the air through the cooler.

My theory which may have been incorrect was that once water freezes at 0C the ice doesn’t really get any colder where as a liquid with a lower freezing point would store more potential cooling energy…

4 Likes

5 Likes

nice! You need some of that tinsel on yours @oleskool830 I like your grungy cooler with the slight mildew stains too…gives it more an urban edge :smile:

5 Likes

Brilliant! @StillSmoking! Definitely worth a go! Thanks for that.

1 Like

Sometimes you have to use what’s on hand. I’m a cheap DIY bastard! Much love…

5 Likes

Whoa @Muleskinner! That’s some thought provoking shit. I’ll need to chew on it a while.

7 Likes

You could easily DIY one. Here is how the big home model works. It is a big box with a basin of water in the bottom attached to a float valve. Three of the walls have vents with pads over them. A pump in the basin pumps water at the top of the pads keeping them wet. The third side has a squirrel cage blower pushing the air into the house. As the air comes in over the wet pads, the heat evaporates some of the water, thus cooling the air.

5 Likes

After some reading, the EAC is not recommended for my location due to our elevated average humidity. I don’t find an EAC with dehumidifier features.
I remain…challenged but will prevail!

5 Likes

Right, I live in the fucking desert. :cactus: :sunny:

5 Likes

How’s your poor mans ac working ? Almost the same configuration to making a fog machine minus the floating fogger sort of a dual purpose chest ! Speaking of that I’m positive misting a sealed room would also drop ambient temp a few degrees , thinking back to the line ups at Disney land where you were getting misted while standing in line the temps were quite a bit cooler compared to non misted lineups!

5 Likes

interesting - I wonder if theres’s a wicking material you could use for the sides instead of a pump. cotton or fleece fabric might do it.

Reducing wattage on the hottest days might be good - the plants probably can’t metabolize that much light at 100 degrees right? it makes sense. I was reading a study somewhere with varying light levels on cannabis and the plants still flowered well with less than normal light.

5 Likes

it’s perfect, was just kidding, it’s the exact same model as the video but it’s got character “patina” it’s better!! I wonder about the thermodynamics of buying the ice and running the fan, wouldn’t electric AC be cheaper? Someone has to run the freezer to make the ice

4 Likes

Now that’s very interesting. I could reduce wattage in the heat of the day on the HPS flower tents. Hmmmm.

3 Likes

It all involves my presence during lights on every day till October! Hell, I have nothing else to do! Nowhere to be and all day to get there! Changing timers to 7pm to 7am to have lights on after dark.

10 Likes