Peat, destructive and unsustainable? Is coco better?

if your hand watering it can be quit a chore watering a sizable garden… my buddies @Yarddog and @OG1969 do it this way… but eb and flow automation is the best way to use it imho.

I start all my fresh CHIPPED coco out charging it(soaking it in used reservoir water) … yeah the plants suffer a couple weeks with fresh coco but it self adjust provided your using water adjusted to correct ph.

1 Like

I use pro mix hp which is peat based. I used oxygen pot systems which is a ebb and flow bucket system. During full on flower I flood my buckets for 10 minutes twice a week. I believe with coco if be feeding much more often.

2 Likes

with chipped coco you water everyday and only water with nutrient charged water… so yes you’ll feed more often.

1 Like

Isn’t peat destructive and unsustainable only in Europe? There’s an article about Canada’s yearly peat harvest versus the total available for harvest, that makes a pretty strong case for sustainability. I’ll see if I can’t find it.

3 Likes

What are the benefits of coco? Can I reserve it from harvest to harvest? Increase in yield? Better uptake? Is one soak a day sufficient? What brand is best?

you ever see peat mined?

2 Likes

It’s a byproduct of the coconut industry, so it’s fairly cheap and will be available as long as coconuts exist. The air to water ratio is usually the big selling point.

@Grower13 I have not. I’ll read that now

1 Like

@Grower13 where do you think coco CHIP would fit on this graph ?

1 Like

I’ll go with perlite… but the space left in the medium using chipped is golden…

And who said that Net Neutrality wasn’t going to be an issue?

2 Likes

lol its just an advertisement you can click the X

1 Like

What’s the best brand of chipped coco?

not sure where I stand on that…

It actually disappeared on the 2nd visit.

It seems a lot depends on how it is harvested and how the land is left when harvest is completed. Obviously, the picture in this article is of a total land rape. The Canadians are closing in of 95% sustainability according to this article.

1 Like

I’ve not seen to many brands of the chipped coco for now… I do expect more as peeps become aware on just how good it is… as they see where they can make a profit from it.

if you can really believe it… there’s the evil profit some speak of that could be skewing there idea of it being sustainable.

Trusting what one reads is the issue as well.

Is coco harvested in a more sustainable manner?

The page you linked really only made one argument, that the peat bogs do not go back to fully functional ecosystems like is often claimed. The rest of it is a good push towards coco.

There are actually a great many articles with similar conclusions as 99%. Here’s the one I was referring to before.

1 Like

in this article someone makes a claim that canadas bogs grow 70% more peat each year than is harvested, then they do not address that claim but go on to state that “even restored peatlands represent a net loss of carbon to the atmosphere and thus contribute to greenhouse gas production.”

so is the problem with carbon emissions or loss of resource? because i don’t believe in man made global warming and the fact they never addressed the earlier claim of renewability leads me to believe it was correct

1 Like

Looks like we might be Rats! LOL

2 Likes