Peat, destructive and unsustainable? Is coco better?

As long as a Capybara qualifies as a rat. :grin:

I should note that I MUCH prefer coco to peat, but do like <25% peat in the mix.

1 Like

Do you have one?

1 Like

No, no. My daughter is against me having pets because if Iā€™m gunna feed the thing, I want it to feed me one day :smiling_imp:

Looking at ducks and chickens at the moment

3 Likes

How does this aspect stack up regarding sustainability?

Had a small clutch of chickens growing up. We ate lots of eggs. :egg:

You drain the runoff back into the res and top off with water each day. So in two weeks time i replace a 30 gal res, I add a half gallon of water back each day on average. So in two weeks time I have added back approx. 7 gals of water. So Iā€™m throwing out about 23 gal of nuted water every 14 days. I can live with that. Especially since I use the old res water to water all my yard and house plants. My wife said her Japanese maple never looked better. It absolutely loves my bloom mix. Veggies get the used water too. So in the end, I really donā€™t see any waste at all with coco.

seems like a lot of cannabis-designed soil mixes are using a combination of peat and coir, usually a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of peat to coir. Root Organics for example. Iā€™m now using Promix MP Organik which is about 2.5:1 peat to coir. Havenā€™t noticed any improvement over the all-peat promix yet. Seems like it might be trendy to include some coir.

or cheaper filler. i add perlite to my coco for that reason, mostly as filler but also extra aeration.

Do you use enzymes in the chipped coco?

Do you purchase your nutes in plastic containers? Do you run an electric pump all day in your grow?

(I ask because I do not know. Not because I disagree)

do you wipe with TP or are you using old news paperā€¦

2 Likes

So, it looks like most of manā€™s activity comes with a cost.

I am moving outdoors as soon as I can produce enough. And that wonā€™t be too far down the road.

I use my own compost and never have had any issues.

Funny!
~

Plastic floating in the ocean.

1 Like

thatā€™s sadā€¦ thereā€™s plenty of ways to reduce one footprint hereā€¦ everything possible should be returned for recycling and bio degradable paper should be use whenever possibleā€¦ and fuck heads who litter should be cained

3 Likes

Now we have something truly in common.

I know you have a good heart.

Letā€™s all keep looking at the big picture, eh?

99%

1 Like

everything should be made from hemp - i wonder if a hemp substrate is possible

2 Likes

Plastic gallon jugs. And no pump. It I do use electric lights powered from a coal fired plant. Lol. Iā€™m cool with my footprint.

2 Likes

You heard of pittmoss? Itā€™s a paper substitute for peat that a dude invented in his kitchen with a blender. A reverse engineered hemp version would probably blow pittmoss out the water, no pun intended

2 Likes

The pittmoss guy was on shark tank. Looked like a brilliant idea.

1 Like

None of us are. Guessing the media companies will remain quiet for a time, and then start to turn screws on slowly.

I am hoping to retire within 10 years, and leave most of it behind. OG and some email would suffice.

99%

4 Likes

i definitely thought this was some kind of joke or sarcasm lol but he was actually on shark tank? it has to have more ingredients than just wet paper :smiley: but yes hemp makes better paper than trees, better (and stronger) concrete than cement, basically better everything can be made from hemp

2 Likes