Site Update February 2020 - What has changed

I’m planning major software update of Overgrow for coming weekend (2020 February 22 - 23). It is expected to take 8 - 12 hours when the site will be completely off. For remainder of the weekend it should be online but some of the time in read-only mode.

I’ll try to make the outage as short as possible, but please if you have some urgent matter through PMs do them now or wait after weekend …

You can also use our Discord to meet and chat during the outage: https://discordapp.com/invite/FXVpfk3 (please bookmark it now)

Thank you very much and stay tuned! :nerd:

2020/02/23 UPDATE:

Site has been upgraded. Most important points:

62 Likes

Awesome! Thanks a lot and good luck!

9 Likes

Thank you Joe!!! Plus 20

3 Likes

Thanks for both the work you’re doing and the heads up

4 Likes

I hope it all goes smoothly for you Joe.

4 Likes

We appreciate your efforts Joe, you folks are doing a great job!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I love that movie saw it in theaters way back when

2 Likes

Sounds good Joe Thank you

3 Likes

I’m gonna lose my last green dots now…I just know it…LMAO I’ll wait it out in the bloom room!

2 Likes

IIRC the dot thing was abandoned in more recent versions of the software OG uses.

Karma hack is my own creation :slight_smile: something that was characteristic for OG1.0 and I wanted to preserve :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Alright. I just vaguely remembered it not being a thing in Discourse (any more). Maybe it never was. I hope the backport is not gonna be painful.

2 Likes

I have run a number of large system upgrades! Do not envy you. Hope all your specializations carry through without amendment.
Does the “new” version have a good rep? Will you run parallel for a bit? Is retreat possible if it goes sideways?

Could you use a tester?

3 Likes

looking forward to a sweet upgrade!

1 Like

Yes, Discourse has very active and professional development team (also thanks to their business model). There are some great talents behind it. It is in the same league as vBulletin was in 00’ years…

That is not possible because of different database structures.

Sure, everything is backed up and I can rollback to point one anytime. Anything can happen during the upgrade, due to large complexity of this project. But I’m pretty confident that it will be successful. Everything was tested on development instance and worked smoothly… I’m planning the upgrade roadmap and preparing prerequisities for more than two weeks already. It is just a matter of limiting downtime because there are a lot of interconnected components that need a setup.

14 Likes

thanks for the work you put in for this forum to be what it is! You’re ACES in my book, @LemonadeJoe!

5 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work to make this enormous transfer of knowledge and brotherhood possible. It is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks@ lemonade joe! I’m thoroughly enjoying myself here at overgrow.

1 Like

Well damn now what am I gonna do while I’m at work Saturday night…guess I could do my job but what’s the point in that. Joking of course but sweet cant wait to see the update :grin:

2 Likes