Possible to reuse the parts in old LED to remake into new semi DIY LED?

Ok, this is going to be hard to say what I’m thinking but I’m going to try. This could be a lengthy post…

Couple years back I purchased 8 Mars 400w LED fixtures (actual draw is 180w). I was replacing 2400w of HPS, putting 4 of the fixtures in each of the two 4.5’ x 4.5’ x 7’ tents. Each tent had two 600w HPS fixtures in it, for a total of 1200w per tent. 2400w total.
The goal was simple. Reduce electric consumption cost per month, without sacrificing yield or quality. Overall these lights did a little bit better than I was expecting, though the penetration wasn’t there…the terps were tremendous and there was a very noticeable increase in resination. Yields were rather “on par” with what I was getting before, if not maybe a little less. But hey, now I was using 720w actual output per tent, with a larger more versatile canopy having 4 units hanging. I was seemingly doing better with LED!

Then, 7 months into the process…it started happening. A diode here and there was giving out. First they would burn reallllly bright for a week or so, then die out. Some of these diodes DRIPPED from blowing out. Major fire hazard eh?! I mean, I got rid of the HPS to help electrical consumption but also reduce fire risk tremendously. And reduce heat!

Anyways, so here I am about 7 months in and multiple fixtures are having this issue. Well, I decided…even though the fixtures were still “working” it was better to break down and rehang up the HPS fixtures.

Here I am, probably 2 years later. I’ve purchase 1 Fluence Spydr X Plus and I absolutely LOVE IT! I wish I could afford two more for the other space. Which leads me here, to you all. I still have these fixtures and I know some of you are amazingly smart.

If you were in my shoes which of the following would you do?:

• Reuse the Mars Drivers, fans, housing etc and purchase some other LED’s for them and “rebuild” them
  • Keep using HPS until (somehow) I save up enough money to purchase another Spydr
  • I’m open to any suggestions you may have

Generally I’m just trying to get all 100% LED, but can’t afford more $1,500 lights. At least not right now, nor ANY time soon.

So currently I have one space with 1,000w HPS in a large Raptor hood, and one space with two 600w HPS each in a normal glass enclosed and cooled hood.

3 Likes

You can reuse the heat sinks, fans, and drivers. Here is a video by Gromau5 showing just how easy it is.

7 Likes

No way, is this the exact light fixture I have with a walk through on how to do this exact thing?!?#@? I’m checking right now, thanks so much for reading and replying either way :smiley:

edit
So far this is looking epic!

4 Likes

This video is exactly what I was looking for. Wow, thank you!

2 Likes

heres another one, it doesn’t show the build but shows what’s possible. use everything, the casing, heatsinks, drivers, fans etc shit save the screws, wire and even the diodes/pcbs can be repurposed. it’s all usable stuff unless its broken

5 Likes

The diodes are cheap and seem to burst a bit when they die out. They are suitable for the trash IMO lol.

Thanks man!

2 Likes

Growmau5 is brilliant!
Don’t forget, you can do this with nearly any amazon led!

2 Likes

Yes, I used the drivers out of my Mars to power my cobs but I used PC cpu heatsinks for the COBS as they are better for heatsinks than what is in the MARS. Also using PC heatsink coolers gives you the option to spread out the cobs however you like…

1 Like