Am I reading this correctly?

4 50w cobs, no driver needed, direct 120v. ??? What else would one need?
Just a diy heat sink?

2 Likes

yes those are 110v AC cobs, but there efficiency is crap most of the new decent lights are 3+x the efficiency id stay away and just buy a decent prebuilt or build your own diy solution

6 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle please, my brain is mush.
Link for a good cob and link for a driver. I just can’t decipher this out.

the question should be more oriented towards what kinda space “area sqft” are you wanting to light and for what purpose “veg/flower/combo”

2 Likes

And what’s your budget

1 Like

Budget is negotiable within reason. I am wanting to supplement 2 400w HPS in a 5x6 flower room.

You won’t get much of a COB recommendation on OG. Most have switch to boards and strips because they are safer. I still run 4 Cree COBS in an old cabinet but I have plans to change it out. I’ve heard that Cobs can catch fire.

5 Likes

hey just to say I bought some of these at $70, a bit ago on sale and a 10 dollar coupon, I had spider farmer leds and these compare verywell, most of a grow(flower tent) is completed with them and plants look good.

nothing against a DIY er, just thought all in all a good deal, they even come with the hangers and a pair of led glasses. I also run cmh.

BTW I have no affiliation , and these are 104 watts at the wall

4 Likes

any of the newer style lights like Who above posted, but other names who sell the same or similar stuff would be HLG, vivosun, spiderfarmer, philzon, mars hydro, ect

7 Likes

This was my final answer…lol be here tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08C7GLJ8H?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

2 Likes

Samsungs, cool and warm, deep and far reds, meanwell driver. Its the winning combo these days. Should treat you well. I like how it can be reconfigured for different grow spaces.

2 Likes

FYI I ordered those COB lights also. They may just make incredible lighting built into my house. We will see …

1 Like

I think a lot of people are buying direct from China from Meiju or Kingbrite on Alibaba. I probably wouldn’t buy a low teir LED from Amazon. If your on a budget look into to doing DIY strip builds. Good examples are on LEDGardener. It’s what I have started doing.

2 Likes

I got what I ordered. Should be fine, it is in addition to 2 400w HPS. So we will see how they go.
I got the cobs for other lighting purposes. If they are decent, I am going to order 10-15 more packs of them.

1 Like

Thanks @BudSy I figure using them as an addition to my HPS’s it’s tough to go wrong. And it’s funny, after weeks of deciding what to get or build, and of course changing my mind all the time, my choice was one I had never seen before…popped up, and I thought to myself…what the hell. :rofl:
And they are good for what I want. I can mount the light boards in completely different locations. That’s a huge plus. It’s like a DIY kit. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah for sure. Even in worst case scenario, the driver is meanwell and separate from the light unit so you can use that on another light. I think it will be a pretty safe bet. Plus with the LEDs it uses it will definitely perform.

As for those COBs, I am not sure what experience you have with this sort of thing, especially cheap COBs, you will need to put some effort into keeping them cool. If you are not careful you could have a fire. A single COB can sometimes need a heat sink close to the size of your head. (Unless your head is particularly large) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a electrical guy and fix it guy. (Companies call me in when no one else can find the problem) so my DIY skills are above average…haha. Being used as house lighting, they will have not only a heatsink, but most likely a fan also. I will actually cut my own heatsinks from aluminum stock.
I am the guy building a 5000 square foot house from dumpsters and pallets…lol

1 Like

Hahahah yeah i do not doubt your abilities :slight_smile:

I often see heat sinks like this rather than the typical strip heat sinks…

Those COBs push out the heat from a single point so heavy duty sinking around a point is usually required. However they have come a long way since i was up to speed about them so they may be a lot better these days.

1 Like

We shall see…hahaha they should be here tomorrow, and I am going to take a real close look at them. :+1:

2 Likes

@BudSy you can doubt my skills anytime…I always do :joy::rofl: