Are my old leds recyclable?

I’m just wondering what to do with old led products that has minimal use.
I’ve pin pointed 3 moves of interest, if anyone has alternative ideas would like to hear.
1 sell. 2 sell for parts 3. Customise use parts to create a more impressive item?

1 Like

Depending on what is in them, the power supplies may be reusable. The diodes are pretty much useless though. Some pictures would help…

This video is an example of what I’m talking about.

4 Likes

Im actually interested in this also. I have 2 mars 900w blurple lights from way back that I dont use any more. They have 6x 60w drivers with the following sticker

AC 100V-240V (48/60HZ)
DC 55-100V (0.715-0.730A)

I was originally looking at something like this but I cant get the math right to work with the driver so i’m not sure. Would be great to convert them, a ton of the diodes are dead and it draws so much more than my cree cobs

1 Like

Colonoscopy would be the one to ask about getting the voltages to work but he’s on a ban because someone needed to flex their online muscle

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve got one of those mars 2 400w and the 300w 5w led panel, but am thinking of retiring my mars 192 reflector.
The 192 is run next to a mehzi 1200w but the 192 runs a lot hotter.
The 400w only got used once as I was trying to find right coverage for my tent and the 300w has been added to a few early grows but seems to zap my electricity

1 Like

Shame I like colonoscopy can be a bit out spoken though and not a lot of people get the uk banter.
Hope he decides to come back after ban

2 Likes

Going to post it here for the sake of others. Colan emailed me and recommended something like these for my drivers, I could potentially run 5 of these from each driver.

You could run like 5 x bridgelux eb gen 2 560mm. To each driver.

They run at 19.5v Vf and the test current is 700ma with the capacity to overdrive to twice that. The wiring would be a simple series from each. The efficiency is great (around 175-180lm/w)

2 Likes

So i’ve bought 20 of these https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3/976-1734-ND/7907663/?itemSeq=316684877 and the plan is to reuse my 900w mars hydro blurple drivers to power them

going to assign 2 drivers from the veg switch to 10 and 2 from the bloom switch to the other 10 (so i can “dim” them)

the test worked well with one of the drivers! I’ll maybe make a separate build thread of the process and final rig

4 Likes