Powdered magnesium / calmg?

I’ve got a proxmox server…could use that just didn’t want to have a vm just for that. I think a snap or appimage package would be the way to solve this for linux.

Thanks!

1 Like

that or a docker image. all sorts of ways if you want to mess around with it i suppose.

“Sudo snap install package_name”

Is easier than installing docker for most users…otherwise yes docker would be fine.

I guess I’m a bit lost or really rusty on Linux. Can you not compile from source?

Yea, I know. But your title says “Pow-ered”, not “Pow-d-ered”. Haha. How are you powering this stuff? Solar? Electric? Something else?

Oh yea, I know. Haven’t bought water in maybe a decade.
Nice one, man. Good luck with it.

1 Like

You can, I’m just lazy. I also like using the package manager so shit doesn’t get all over the place. I was suggesting a way to make it easy for most non tech people; after over three decades in IT most users just want to apt or rpm install something.

1 Like

Ah. ok…oops. :slight_smile: Fixed.

1 Like

That’s fair, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something. Haven’t used Linux in… jeez i wanna say almost a decade?

I know Greengene doesn’t use Epsom Salt which is Magnesium Sulfate in his mix as he feels that the base 5-12-26 has enough Mag in it. I saw deficiencies when I did this so I went back to the Jacks 321 recipe and have had great results. Now granted I also supplement with Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) so it may be that with me loading up on Calcium the plants need the additional Mag. I would personally advise adding Cal + Mag from some source as the coco will steal those ions out of your nutrient solution.

I wouldn’t focus too much on PPM values as that can vary from one persons garden to another depending on their environment and its affect on their plant metabolisms. I think ratios between the different elements are the more important numbers to keep in mind. You will have to play with the EC strength that your plants like but always keeping the ratios in balance is the key.

For example I feed at 3.0 EC using Jacks and sometimes as high as 4.0 EC but I always keep the ratio 3:2:1 of Part A, Part B (Calcium Nitrate) and Epsom (Magnesium Sulfate)

4 Likes

Roll up a fatty and pick a current one and give it a whirl again; it has got much more user friendly over the decade. I personally use opensuse but also like Debian or Ubuntu…Fedora is ok but IBM really fucked RH up once they bought it.

KDE is pretty decent these days!

3 Likes

Not really interested enough to do it. Rather spend time editing the act 1 of a short book that I said I’d edit today. Lol

That being said, some distros were quite user friendly when i used them.

1 Like

@GreenleafNutrients makes (used to at least) a good powdered cal mag product.

2 Likes

One really useful thing i learned from that experience is

If you have a problem you can’t figure out

There’s probably an irc channel or discord for it. Even weed

1 Like

Thanks, I do use coco. Also, first time on well water and I checked the water with two tds meters and they both say 45-50ppm and the ph is 4.9. Since it’s acidic I assume it’s mostly sulfur as that’s common out here and doesn’t really have much of anything else. Even if the base has some I’d think adding some extra calmag is going to be necessary for me. So, I’m trying to find the best way possible for me to add these in a safe and economical way. I also have to raise the ph so I’ll probably use potassium silicate so I can get some silica for plant health.

2 Likes

Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) for added Magnesium. Jacks sells this as an additive
Solution grade Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) for added Calcium

I wouldn’t worry about too much sulfur with these additions as there is a school of thought that more sulfur equals better terpene production.

I use calcium carbonate in powdered form as my PH up. I think bottled PH up is just potassium carbonate.

1 Like

I’m going to give Mint a try when I can get another drive (ssd most likely).

Calcium Nitrate, Calcium Sulfate, and Calcium Chloride will probably be the best options for Ca.
Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Nitrate will probably be the best options for Mg.
There are others, but nothing brings only the one element to the table (you’re always adding something else along with the desired element).

If you’re thinking of making a “cal-mag” product, Daniel Fernandez has a video (and blog post) on this. You could also check out his video on Calcium in hydroponics.

4 Likes

Mine arrived today. Just so you know they aren’t accurate at all.

1 Like

Good to know.
Thanks for the heads up!
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No problem. They’re still kinda cool.

1 Like

I like the rounded rectangular shaped ones. Lee Valley Tools make a good set (I don’t remember checking accuracy, but they have and “make” some good products). And I got a second set recently, I think they were “Hudson Essentials” or something like that, same shape. They’re a nice gauge of stainless, and they fit into small containers, if need be, like those small spice jars.

2 Likes