Problems with soil in my veg garden

There are some benefits I’ve read about to alfalfa and this is an ingredient in most rabbit foods, so that may have something to do with it. It haven’t grown any buds in a many years, but I ha e kept a garden all this time, so I do have some experience with this.

Anytime man, I love to help!

1 Like

I’m trapped just outside the city, only animal raised around here are cows pigs and goats that I’ve seen lol even my friend’s that work on farms don’t know anyone that raises rabbits, I looked since rabbit pellets are great fert

So sulpher to lower pH any other amendment recommendations? My next one will be bigger at 8x3x2. Got a bunch of oak 4x4s from the jobsite and putting them to good use lol

2 Likes

Interesting, similar to what I have been doing. But less overall manure in the ratio (guesstimates). May have been the same brand, “black cow, composted” but wasn’t happy with the performance with slow start last season. Again, just guessing on my end.

Like @Badger says, the source and processing is likely the key to the manure performance.

1 Like

Goat is supposed to be pretty good as well, and once cow manure is composted it works great as well. I used to work at a place that composted, bagged and sold a soil mix that used a large amount of the cow manure. It would grow some huge plants. They did it right though.

2 Likes

You can add more peat to your soil, or as mentioned above sulfur will work nicely also.
I have had bad bags of “top soil” and have learned to avoid using it.
I have never used bagged composted manure, so I cannot speak to that.
A local reputable landscape/mulch/compost supplier should have better topsoil available.

Try not to be discouraged.
Good luck.

4 Likes

The soil looks too hot for one. Don’t use anymore manure is just raises the ph more. Also looks like you could use a cal/mag drench especially if you are having a tough time sprouting seeds. Magnesium is key to seed sprouting. One of your plants above has leaf miners, but not a big deal. You may want to send in a soil sample to your local extension office and really see what you are working with. Much better than trying to blind amend. If nothing else, get one of those little test kits for npk and ph that you do yourself.

2 Likes

No. those are leaf miners. Usually just ugly but won’t kill the plant. Spinosad for those if necessary

2 Likes

Sorry for the multiple posts… thinking in strings

Lettuce is a cool weather crop… let it go if need be and try again end of summer. Farmers Almanac online is the best to tell you when to plant what in your zone.

Last year my peppers and melons stalled for what seemed like forever until it got really hot like over 80 then they just kicked into high gear. Some summer veggies are like that so don’t get too discouraged.

Whatever you do… don’t let anyone talk you into manure. I put tons of it in my patch and planters before I knew better and it raised my ph and threw all my mineral absorption out of whack. I am reaping the consequences this year as opposed to the last year I added it. Also, no more hydro nutes out there. Try simple Dr. Earths slow release dry and leave it be. Something mild and slow release. For a quick nitrogen fix try liquid fish or kelp.

3 Likes

Alfalfa is great and really high in nitrogen. It needs to be used very sparingly or soil will get too hot. A little goes a long way. Same with blood meal.

3 Likes

I think the manure/ no manure debate is going to hinge on the actual makeup of the soil. One of our local agricultural colleges will send off a soil sample for relatively cheap, that will give you precise levels of most everything in your soil. I agree that getting a test may be the most appropriate course of action.

3 Likes

The trail I see is from a leaf miner adults lay the eggs and the larvae burrow between the upper and lower portion of the leaf … I hate mixes that have bark and woods chips in them it’s pretty much substandard compost someone’s buy product I’d suspect it’s the culprit… how did it smell? With that high of ph I’d suspect lock out of nutrients at this point not sure what may be causing it may have gone anaerobic which more than likely can cause issues also … I need to read on and see if anything may be overlooked

That mix from the looks of it has way to much wood in it IMO Much more than Miracle grow.

Some manures can have accumulated salts in them from what Iv heard also.

1 Like

I’d say trying to do a good compost/ or EWC tea and give the soil a good drench and well as the plant leaf surface brew for 24-36 hours and see if the helps the whole soil profile .

2 Likes