Question about making on fertilizer mix

I watched a YouTube video and this grower was using multiple plant leaves and just putting them in a gallon container and just leave it there and eventually all the nutrients leave the leafs,so in the video he covers it,so I’ve been taking all my fan leaves and putting them in a gallon jug of water,and keeping it in a dark place,but I’m not sure if I put the cover or lid will it go bad or anaerobic even if I’m opening everyday to let any gasses out? I’m new at this and know they say the darker the greens the more nutrients,so the cannabis leaf is very good for you and plants I put them in my smoothies…so cover or no cover

7 Likes

Hey, check out this thread from @BeagleZ they do this kind of stuff and explain it well:

3 Likes

Sounds like what you’re wanting to do is make an fpj (fermented plant juices). Leaves and brown sugar. Layer them and put weight on it until juices start forming

4 Likes

rather than fpj, I’d say you’re on track to be making JLF, jadam liquid fertilizer. It’s stinky, and yes anaerobic but that’s not a four letter word (heh).

6 Likes

Yeah, was gonna say that too

5 Likes

Yeah, like @ChongoBongo said, what your making is a JLF, start searching and researching from there.
You will want to add a bit of leaf mold or compost to get some IMO in there. And a pinch of sea salt wouldn’t hurt.
You want the lid on for this one.

Welcome to the rabbit hole :+1:

5 Likes

Deep rabbit hole, but a fun one

3 Likes

PSA…
If you make FPJ you also need to make OHN and vinegar. You can use ACV for the vinegar, but these 3 are a must used together 98% of the time.

4 Likes

For fertilizer all you need is kitchenscraps, tree leaves, dandelion, nettle, thistle and any other plant that has deep taproots, which enables them to absorb an abundance of minerals, making them available to all the plants around them.

All you gotta do is topdress it all.
The fungi, bacteria and insects will do the rest, making it all available to the cannabis very quickly.

There’s also companioncrops, which activate a wider range of bacteria and fungi.
Let nature work for you, sow more seeds of different species, diversity is what makes things happen automatically, it all sorts itself out and feeds eachother.

Here’s a system I’ve been using for a few grows now and it works excellently;

Stacked Pots

No need for bottled stuff or teas or molasses, all the stuff you need is free and effortless. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Alongside my cannabis there is growing basil, date palm, peppers, nettle, woodsorrel, and I’ve sown apple seeds, grape seeds, orange seeds, it’s all thriving and I get a bunch of extra stuff to eat. :+1:

6 Likes

The JADAM text is available for free in PDF format a well. Just Google JADAM pdf and there are several

1 Like

It will absolutely be anaerobic, but it’s a myth that it’s bad. The entire Korean martial farming method is based on anaerobic fermentation

1 Like

@Patriots781 here’s a free PDF download of Master Cho’s Korean Natural Farming manual, and a little bio on him:

1 Like

And here is a free PDF of the JADAM manual:

The guy who started JADAM is the son of the KNF guy, they are similar but not the same, the main difference is that one uses brown sugar and other inputs for ferments and the other does not.

Permies.org is a great site if you want to read about permaculture techniques and theory, lots of smart folks over there. I think these comments do a good job of clarifying some questions for me, maybe they’ll be helpful for you too:

https://permies.com/c/growies

" Brand new member here. Been absorbing lots of good information on these forums for awhile now, but never had anything to contribute until now. I wanted to say that JADAM did not originate in the tropics. Korea is quite temperate, with cold snowy winters and hot summers, similar to most of the US and Europe.

KNF is a technique taught by Han Kyu Cho. Jadam is taught by his son. KNF has roots in traditional east asian farming practices … and there are a surprising number of things they got right despite most of modern soil science not having been discovered yet. All the techniques are simple and accessible for the small scale gardener or farmer, eapecially if you substitute different but similar plants growing locally for the plants recommended by the method.

Jadam in my opinion is more pragmatic and less steeped in “ancient” or “wise” methods. Youngsan Cho saw what his father was doing, saw that it worked amazingly well, and proceeded to re-examine it with a scientific eye. He further simplified what was already a simple method.

One example of this … KNF uses brown sugar in almost all its methods. Jadam says it is not necessary. The main practical difference is the KNF fermentations do not smell putrid. For the home gardener this probably matters, but the plants themselves could care less. When you are at farm scale though, Jadam will save you money by removing an unnecessary input.

As someone else mentioned, unprocessed sea salt mixed with water is practically the same thing as seawater. In the mountains, you may have access to rock dust, which serves a similar purpose of providing trace minerals."

3 Likes