BeagleZ KNF/homemadeInputs Shelf in the Corner

Hey fam!
This thread will be for documenting all my attempts at homemade and Knf all natural inputs.
Instead of me continuing to hijack the KNF thread;)
I will document the successes as well as, more importantly the failures.
As I travel down this hole I feel I am stumbling from time to time and hope I can help folks not make some of those same mistakes.
This will all be for a small scale grower/gardener.

I’m going to go back and put all the inputs I have done so far here in this thread for one complete history. But let’s start today with what I did today :slight_smile:

Strained my latest batch of Cana FPJ this morning. By far my most successful batch.
I put a sugar cap on top of this one as it fermented and it seemed to work well. The very top was very dry but right under the cap all the material was still quite wet.
Still trying to find the best way to strain the Cana, I got a French press to try for this round and it worked nicely but really put a beating on the hand requiring so much pressure. So the search continues.
Overall pretty happy with the volume of FPJ…

The dropper bottle goes to my mother-in-law. She put 2-3 drops in her tea daily.

So lessons from this round.

• I like the sugar cap for Cana
  • French press works but requires too much pressure and the will fail quickly.
  • took only 5 days, don’t wait too long to stain(mold risk)
35 Likes

Nice! Looks really good. I made pumpkin fpj a couple months ago

7 Likes

Hey there @wbSamadhi , thanks for stopping in.
I also meant to do that with the leftovers from Halloween but I couldn’t get my ducks in a row for that. So they all went to the compost pile. All the seeds are sprouting so I guess that’s a good sign from the compost :wink:

10 Likes

Awesome to see this!
I agree with the sugar cap when making FPJ. I recently used a sugar cap AND a baggie of water for pressure. It seemed to work well.

I could get down with some FPJ in my coffee in the morning lol. I did use ginger and garlic extract on salmon :fire: when i was working on OHN. We added a little of the used ginger on top too. Those are flavors that money cannot buy :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t get a very good return from FPJ’ing my canna byproducts, but JADAM seems to be the way to go. It will stink to high hell, but after the stink is gone, it’s a really good product…

3 Likes

Been thinking of looking into JADAM. It is a extension from KNF, correct?
Any resources you would recommend @OkieWormFarmer ?

5 Likes

Aaand followed. Gonna try something with all this clover we got on the property this year I think so I’m gonna hang out and pickup some tips if that’s cool :call_me_hand:t2:. Canna FPJ looks pretty cool

4 Likes

Always welcome in my hood Legs!
This is going to be more of a “watch me fuck up” thread on my part at least lol

5 Likes

Cool thread brother!

JADAM has a similar philosophy, but different execution. Youngsang Cho differs from his predecessor in that he disagrees with the use of sugar as an agent to expedite fermentation. JADAM uses more “whole” components to create inputs, and the fermentation/aging process becomes very timing dependent. Another major difference is his focus on pest control, and corollary inputs like wetting agents, foliar sulfur, and pesticide oriented herbal and plant infusions.

9 Likes

Hey, thanks dropping some knowledge in here @HeadyBearAdventures! Welcome!
Ok, so his name is Cho, it’s master cho’s son, is that right?
This defiantly sounds interesting and worth digging into.
Is there a easy explanation of why he disagrees with sugar?

1 Like

I think that may be true. Regardless, Dr. Cho supports and validated JADAM as a beneficial farming method.

There is a wide-spread misperception that in order to practice organic farm-
ing there are basic necessities such as black sugar, molasses, vinegar, wood vine-
gar (pyroligneous liquor) and alcohol (ethanol). Black sugar and molasses are
not produced in Korea; they are 100% imported. ese products use a lot of oil
and electricity in their making so their prices are prone to luctuation in the in-
ternational oil market. Vinegar and wood vinegar can be made at home but
most of the time they are bought from the market. Most of the alcohol is also
imported and its price is likewise linked to international oil prices. You can see that all the inputs you thought of as farming essentials are connected to oil
price and this has generally risen. Organic farmers have to pay big money to
buy these so-called necessities.
JADAM strongly urges to do away with all these inputs. ey were not used
in our millennia of farming history. In particular, black sugar and molasses
must go. Not only are they expensive but they are actually doing harm. People
think black sugar from the market is close to raw sugar extracted from sugar
canes but it is not. Take out minerals and other nutrients from raw sugar and
you get white sugar. Treat it with caramel coloring and you get black sugar. Ar-
tiicial caramel coloring is a chemical obtained through heat and pressure treat-
ment of sugar, sulites, and ammonia. e Center for Science in the Public
Interest (CSPI) strongly warns against the use of this product because it is a car-
cinogen. If you are addicted to using black sugar and molasses you will never
truly go organic

-youngsang cho

8 Likes

This does make a lot of sense. In more ways than one sugar is a horrible thing.

6 Likes

True true. And my partner recently pointed out that, in an apocalypse type scenario, sugar probably isn’t going to be readily available! It’s probably smart to have an idea of how to develop sugar free inputs, and in many ways it demonstrates how basic it can really be!

5 Likes

Here is a copy post of my first LABs.

Starting my journey…
LABs is working and I’m looking forward to the ground to thaw so I can start collecting my IMOs :slight_smile:

LABs complete:)

12 Likes

Get a cider press!

2 Likes

I am honored and blessed at your presence @lotus710 :slight_smile:
That is a great idea!

1 Like

Came across this today, seems to be a good resource.

https://knfsupport.com/tutorials/

I also watched Dr. drake have a meltdown on YouTube this evening. Kind of a interesting introduction to him, but I do think he had some valid points.
Going thru some of his non-melty stuff and he seems pretty knowledgeable

3 Likes

What up y’all!
Returned home from a work trip to some interesting developments.
The Cana FPJ looks like it was indeed infected with a mold spore of some kind. I will prob dilute this and put it out around the yard. The fruit trees are starting to bloom so why not…

The banana is making brandy, maybe I did not strain well enough?..

Wanted to use up the last of my sugar so I made another FPJ after a heavy defoliation. Looking down the JADAM road now that I’m done with the sugar…

I managed to get a bit of leaf mold from under my pile I have been adding to for the last few years. Going to make the potato,salt,leaf mold JADAM formula with this…

That’s it for now, hope y’all have a great day!

13 Likes

the mold on the ferments is totaly ok! the banana has a ton of sugar in it so it tends to ferment very very fast, ive had mine go from juice to vinegar in like 2 or 3 months!

oh and that page is by drake aswell!

6 Likes

Thanks @lotus710! That’s good to know on the mold. Is there anything to do about the banana or should I just try to use it up pretty fast?

1 Like