Question about rockwool cubes

Hey people

Im starting some new strawberry couch seedlings and i have a question about rock wool cubes.

What i want to know is when you plant a seed in a cube and its ready for transplanting, does the roots grow SIDEWAYS or just thro the bottom?

I didn’t get cubes what i did i got small yogurt pots. And i intend to use em as rock wool cubes. I already got 3 seeds planted. What im gonna do is cut off the bottom of the pot with sharp knife and then plant the plastic yogurt pots into proper pots when they ready. under MY calculations it will utilize 80% of energy for root development.

However, if some good rockwool cubes also grow sideways after transplanting i can got further and carefully first cut of the bottom and then cut a line from top to bottom of the cube, The expose the entire mass and carefully transplant it.

What do you think?

3 Likes

Usually the lower half of the cube will be full of roots

Pic from DJM

12 Likes

you can make roots grow on on the upper half by putting aluminum foil in top of the cube!
works like a charm for me! also helps control the alge !

7 Likes

Very cool @m0sirys

1 Like

thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When you put a seed in a hole, u water it, what then?

stop creating a topic about the same thing you already have one going on, it makes even more work for the moderators.

4 Likes

Is there a guide or something? Do you just put a seed in a hole and water it and keep under light?

Soak the cube in PH 5.5 water, shake it a bit so it’s wet, not soaked (not dripping freely), put the seed in the hole, press it down just a touch with a toothpick/chopstick/narrow tool of some sort, place a small chunk of roclwool into the hole (loosely. To keep out light) and let it sit.

Peat plugs are better imo.

I prefer seedling starter bags. Just fill with your medium of choice and when ready, plant whole bag in new pot. Not Rockwool but it works well for me. :v:

3 Likes

Jiffy pellets and a heat mat after a 24hr soak👍