Starting with Jiffy pellets then transplanting in Rockwool cubes ebb and flow

Hi,
I want to start with jiffy pellets from seeds (handwatering) because I think its easier than rockwool cubes for that. Then I want to transplant the jiffy pellets to rockwool and use it in a ebb and flow setup.

Questions:

Peat or coco pellets?

What ph should I water the jiffy pellets?

What ph should I water the rockwool cubes with the jiffy pelles inside?

(I am asking the ph stuff because I am not sure what the ph is if you mix jiify and rockwool in a grow)

Are all jiffy pellets with fertilizer already? Is that a problem?

I was looking for a soilless medium to use instead of jiffy pellets, but I cant find anything in my country.

Take a look at rapid rooters or root riot plugs.

1 Like

I started my latest run with coco jiffy pellets. I soaked them in tap water PhD to 5.8. Once the roots came out of the bottom I transfered the entire pellet into straight coco coir and also into bubble buckets (held in place with hydrotron) the coco has no nutrients at all in it so I’ve been gradually building up the ppm levels each time I water them. I’m using mega crop with a little rootstim (vitalink) added. Plants are doing well.
The 7 are 10 days from seed the others I’ve added recently so not much action going on as yet.

6 Likes

Coco pellets will be far more compatible with the rockwool drying cycles.

Like i said, the peat pellets is not a good option imho.
Generally coco pellets are already buffered, like bricks and “brand bags”.

5.5 - 6.5 range, it will depend mostly on which level you water can handle the more.
If you water permit to stay around 6 without so many use of Ph down/ph up, stick with it.

No, and no.

If your lights are a bit weak in density and than the seedlings take too many time to colonize their cubes, you can use a sweet foliar solution to help them a bit, the time to develop enough roots. But warning, a too rich foliar feeding of seedlings and fresh clones make them lazzy.

In this case you can build them from "“insulating glasswool rolls”. Take care to don’t take “rock wool” rolls but “glass wool” rolls instead, its very important. Shitty to do (with a mask and gloves) but it work well when you don’t have any choice.

Take the larger thickness you can find (120 is fine), cut it “neat” with a “metal saw” in fine rolls. The width will be the height of your homemade “rockwool pellets”. Take tiny plastic cup of 100-200 ml, cut “neat” their bottom with a “hot cutter blade” to make a tube then fill them with homemade rolls of glasswool. Roll the wool enough to be stable in the tube cup when you release the pressure of the hand.

5 Likes