Recommendation for lights for my slow down tent

Looking to create a tent to slow down growth and start seedlings and clones on the cheap. I have some mothers and veg plants that are growing faster than my schedule allows and I am running out of space. I have a cheap tent with shelves and I was thinking of putting a 2 ft led strip on each shelf. The shelves are on the sides. Then reserving part of the middle of the tent for a mother or two. Maybe hang a couple of the 2 ft strips from the ceiling for the mothers. I would love to keep it cheap as possible and since I want to slow down growth I was thinking a cheaper set of lights might be just fine. Considering something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V6YJKR6

Love to hear thoughts or recommendations. Is this a stupid idea?

2 Likes

4ft 14,5 watts
But in 2 ft

4 Likes

wouldnt it be easier to just prune the plants?? weak light will just make the plant grow lankier to search for more light.

4 Likes

If you wish to slow growth on your plants just top them. That way you get the added bonus of more colas while slowing down and controlling growth. Just a thought.

4 Likes

just thought of this. keep plants in smaller containers. i keep my plants in less than 1 gal fabric pots and they’re about 15inches 3 weeks into flower :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

Yes and yes! I agree with both of these. Great tips that I will and have been employing. However, I also need another zone, tent, or area to hold the overflow so it will need lights. The grow lights I have been buying are a bit pricey. I have a couple bonsais that I will use as moms as well. Currently flowering a bonsai that has been in a 2 inch deep pot its whole life. I cannot believe how fat the main stem is. Way fatter than the 4 gallon pot plants I am also flowering now.

1 Like

how much money is pricey?? all grow lights gonna have “canna tax” on them.

Just top em or keep ‘em in small pots. You can keep a plant small in a solo cup for awhile. I’ve got 2 solo cup plants that are like a month old and 3 of the same age in 1 gallon growbags. My veg tents a 4x4 with 3 generic 120w leds. Everything in here’s about a month old. Excuse the droopy lady in the back I forgot to water her last nightUploading: 358CD881-74C2-4781-B633-C52F2EF97FF7.jpeg… Uploading: B635D097-1C3F-4894-9C43-381C7F5E51B9.jpeg…

If you type led grow lights on Amazon and filter by price you’ll find something to fit your budget

These are discontinued but they were $50/ea

Check out the best deals thread on rollitup

5 Likes

Reduce food, T5 sticks are cheap, top them.

2 Likes

There’s a few different cob ( cree ) lights out there and I nearly bought a 400W ‘Phlyzon’ led lights ( wrong spelling.). :arrow_upper_right: CHEAP AS …

The one I was gonna pay only £65 ( i made him the ‘offer’. Lol.) but i cancelled due to my electric and gas bills came in - Wow, it’s nearly x4 times what I usually pay for electricity and I don’t use much gas .!! Greedy B’stads .! ( Electricity Company can go suck a bag of dicks …!.).

Rant over. Haha

Anyway back to the light it’s all over eBay and you can get them at different Wattage etc.
I DIDN’T buy it ONLY because I have a lot of lights already, a few aren’t used yet either.

I think it’s called the ‘Phlizon 2000 series and it’s roughly 400W at £69:99 - cheapest i could find…
It’s a decent light for the cash. ( imo anyway.).
They also have a 500W model for just £109.00.

They are older ‘tech’ but the prices for the amount of light is great :+1:.

Good luck with your light buy …!
Happy growing peeps.
Gaz

Here’s a wee pic with my ‘Protech 430W light in it ( 456 actual draw.) :point_up:

3 Likes

I usually put £80 a month for just growing @Gaz29 . It’s now up to £120 a month. Ridiculous price hike. :-1:

1 Like

I’m looking to keep parents, and prized phenos mothers in a reduced-growth tent.
reduced-growth: to keep them the longest without optimal conditions to avoid growing giant trees fast and reduce pruning need.

I know this:

Not much about light: just that you need the minimum, ~25WLed per square feet (~30cm2)… very close to the top of the plants. Or so that the plants don’t stretch to get closer to the light.

GrowMedium: Soil is slowest.

Pot size: Bonzaiiiii (cups, smallest pot, wide and short)

Temps: Cooler is slowest.
Cooler temps = slower drinking (and cell division) = slower growth and more eco.

Topping to control height and slow the plant growth (and or to multiply the tips to prepare for clones cuts).

Additionnaly: watering very late, makes you loose some growth (for the days of drought), but it boost growth after watering/rain… like it’s caching up… (at least when temps are warm) (I have to test with cooler temps)