Relative true flowering time

Hello folks,
I know this is a very variable subject so I would like people to share the true flowering time since you switch to 12/12.
It would be funny to have all strains in this post and with the strain, lamp type and wattage would be nice to have an approximete idea of how long it actually takes to get the buds ready.
This is important so indoor growers can manage the right ammount of plants they need for each season.

Right now if some one using led light full spectrum 1200w and the strains white widdow, or special queen 1 from rqs please share!

1 Like

It would be very difficult to near impossible to say. Each strain will be affected by the growers environment, their feed and the things they did so while one person may get done flowering after 9 weeks from flip the next grower may take 11 weeks for the same strain using the same batch of seeds.

Also I have not seen a 1200 watt light out there. The only ones I know of that claim 1200 watts are normally 120 watts and use marketing to dupe growers into thinking they are getting more than they are. They claim equivalent to 1200 watts. Look at the power draw of the light for a true number.

6 Likes

Some strains take longer than others.

3 Likes

All right I know one unit of temperatire may do a lot of difference however by gathering info we can calculate a average, minimun and maximun time for each strain.
My light says is equivalent to a 1200w but only draws 275 I think, with both switches turned on.

I don’t count flowering time from flip since that’s not something I can control outdoors.

Outdoors I start counting from when I see the start of the flowering cycle, so I do the same indoors.

Usually this is about 7-10 days post flip.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that is an advanced point of view, for new growers, who may want to select a strain based on specific shedule or time, is a way they can’t miss.

I’m guessing it has 240 5w LEDs?
(240*5=1200)

That 1200w equivalent # is a marketing ploy, use the true draw #.

2 Likes

So when you look at a website and it tells you “flowering time 8-9 weeks, harvest mid-October”, do you think are they talking 8-9 weeks from flip or start of flower?

IMO it’s already pretty standard, and I think that standard isn’t “from flip”.

…

Growing on a schedule?

Grow autos, their timing is “from sprout” and can be measured in days, not weeks.

3 Likes

On average it takes two weeks to start making the transition into flower, then the real flower time begins for me.
I count every strain as a 12 week strain(this includes 2 weeks for transitioning time), and let the plant tell me when it’s done. There is no way to be ecxact when it comes to flower times.

6 Likes

Well, what is advertised by seed banks I understand from flip, this understanding and defenition makes all the diference.

For a beguinner like me flowering starts when the plant gets 12h or less of light so when I swith it is when I use to count, because I read that seed bank info are too optimistic I thought it could be helpfull.

Flower times vary dramatically even with the same strain.

Assume 8-9 weeks unless you have good reason to suspect otherwise and check trichs to be sure.

I’ve had plants done in 7 weeks and am growing something that won’t be ready for 14.

Generalizations won’t help here. I count flower time at start of flip but it could just as easily be the other way around. Doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

I count from flip but make note of when they actually start especially if I’ve got a range of veg times going at once. Throw a week old seedling under 12/12 it’s still gonna veg for a few weeks before it starts flowering while the plant you’ve had going for a month starts immediately.

I start counting when I start seeing the pistils that’s why I usually chop after 70+ days from the flip and depends on trichs colors…

6 Likes

I guess for me in the end I just don’t count any more. That does not help with scheduling but the plants will be done when they say they are done. I also completely ignore breeder claims, since the plants can’t read that info I find it’s not much use, lol

7 Likes

I run all my plants on 12-12 lighting photos autos
Basically my plants do their own thing growing,I feed them and give the the odd leave trim that’s it

Have my own style of growing,what works for me mite not work for other people ,

I think about how plants grow in the wild you don’t have someone flipping switches for lights :rofl:

3 Likes

I agree, I do the same thing…the breeders environment is different from my environment…

3 Likes

They definitely don’t go from 18/6 to 12/12 overnight.

1 Like

I can’t be bother flipping lights 18-6 bullshit like that have a life outside of growing weed,and it’s jut a hobby for me

1 Like

Bingo, that’s right…I too have a life and to me it’s just a weed folks…not an orchid or a vegetable garden…harder to grow/maintain a vegetable garden…
I used to have all those meters fo PH/PPM/EC but I got sick and tired of chasing the ph/ppm/ec so I just said to myself fuck it, this is a weed…I have better things to do in my life…but what works for me might not work for others because I have a different environment than other growers…
I have always said this…if there was a party at my house and I invited everyone, everyone will all take different routes to get to my party but in the end everyones goal will be my party.
The same thing with growing this weed everyone will take different routes and take short cuts but in the end our goal is to smoke/eat great weed…and not to pay for weed…I haven’t bought weed in almost 25+ years folks.

5 Likes

Sometimes it is hard to say without flowering the strains yourself. In the past there was no standardization of terms, many European seed companies like Sensi Seeds and Dutch passion listed their flowering times based upon the first evidence of flowers – up to 2-3 weeks after they flip their lights into the flower cycle… the actual flowering time of the plant. Nowadays most people grow indoors and list flower times based upon the lighting cutover date. And two different growers may have different results based upon too many unknown variables such as their environmental conditions, feeding regiment, media, air quality, hours of night, and CO2 levels, etc. Plus, different seeds from the same vendor can finish at different times so this thread will need a large population of data points from each strain in order to be able to deduce a generalization you are seeking… e.g: “using a 12/12 light cycle strain X generally takes between 9-10 weeks to finish but has a small population of pheno’s which need 12 weeks”.

1 Like