When do you consider day 1 of flower?

Hello everyone and good morning
I would like everyone’s take on this and see what you think.
I have had many experience growers tell me different
Some count day 1 of flower on the first day of lights switched to 12/12
And some say day 1 of flower on the first day you have a button size or so flower stand out.
Please let me know your take on things.

13 Likes

The first one you mention is day one from switching to 12/12
The second one you mention is day one of flower : )
People that say day 0ne of flower is from flipping to 12/12 usually are tempted to chop two weeks early if going by breeders recommendations
The common denominator with indoor and outdoor is when flowers appear so that is the standard to go by unless the breeder states from flip of 12/12 specifically in thier description : )

12 Likes

1st day of flower is when it starts to actually flower under 12/12 (throw pistils and show sex).
I used to use the flip day as the start date but found if I wait till they show the breeder stated time frames seem a lot more accurate. :v:

7 Likes

I use the first day of 12/12 flip. It really doesn’t matter - do it whichever way makes you happier :+1:

I ignore breeders descriptions😅.

28 Likes

This is my take on it too. If you have a certain amount of weeks in your head but the flowers don’t look ready, then you let it go a little longer.

6 Likes

Weeks of flowering are generalized and each pheno can vary by 4 weeks or more, so ditch the expectations of when you’ll chop and instead learn about and watch for the signs of true maturity.

I’d recommend letting one plant go way longer than you think it should so you can watch the changes that take place. Pinch off tester buds and smoke em wet as the days go on and see how the effect changes, the look of the plant, how much water it drinks, etc. If you’re newer to growing that will give you invaluable experience and you’ll be able to grow the kind of potent herb you want.

Picking early will give you low yields and bud that doesn’t get you high. It’s really depressing to put all that time in, be counting down days and have a harvest of boof. If you can learn by watching how they behave and shift your mindset, you’ll be in it to win it.

When I put food in the microwave, I’ll follow directions, but if it’s cold, it gets more time. You wouldn’t eat something half frozen just because the package said something and you’re hungry. Give it another 30 seconds and live the dream :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

28 Likes

When talking about ‘flowering time’, it would be more consistent if everyone counted from day 1 of the flip to 12/12. Trying to count days/weeks from when the first buds are formed is much more subjective, one person’s Day-1 could be someone else’s Day-5. I’m just talking about when reporting/documenting a grow, I’m right with @ClassicGenetix that the girls are done when they’re done, and not on day-X just because the packaging says 56 days to flower.

9 Likes

:joy:

Agree 100%

11 Likes

First off never believed a breeder they always tell you it’s at 8 to nine week strain (sales tactics)

I like to see how long they take to actually show buds so I do track from 12/12 at flip but then once they show buds and I mark on my calendar that exact day then the true count begins

Example all plants in my room started to show flowers 10 days after the flip except for black sunshine that did not show flowers until 21 days I know already that’s going to be in 12 weeks strain if not more ( next time I run her she’ll get put together with long strains or in the small tent by her self timing is everything )
But it’s only a guide
It’s the overall look of the plant that says I’m getting ready and the trichomes that lets you know when that window of ripping is happening
There are a lot of variables
It takes time to learn how to read the plant :seedling:

Just enjoy your experience and have fun learning

11 Likes

A great example @Papalag , using the length from flip to flower as rough guide , nicely explained , you read them well : )

3 Likes

To me when you start seeing pistils/balls…that’s actually what I go by with all my outside/inside grows, no bullshit.

A lot sooner with males

5 Likes

The plants will tell you everything you need to know. You just need to learn their language :+1:

10 Likes

Envioment and nutrient change at the end of the grow will also help reduce finishing times : ) give them a push / strong signal that there time is coming to an end : )

3 Likes

I usually call it day one when I see the First day of pistils showing .I look at my plants. 360 degrees every day 2 times a day so I pick up on shit fast.I look at what the breeder has as a flower time and I go off of that and pay attention to my tricomes to tell me when she is ready Sometimes my shit finished quicker if I used barley I noticed it accelerates things.

2 Likes

Flip day is day 1 of flower. That’s it.

You/breeder can say from flower onset instead but, that’s pretty dumb. Different light spectrum, nutrient ratios, and overall environment can totally change when flower onset happens.

If the strain was meant for outdoors it wouldn’t even say weeks of flower anyways, it would say what range of month to pull, so that argument goes out the window.

11 Likes

I stopped keeping records other than forum posts, so I never know quite how long stuff takes to flower. It’s done when it’s done. I go by trichomes under the microscope and overall look of the plant to judge whether it is done or not. Grower’s guidelines are just that, and there are lots of factors that come into play which can shorten or prolong flowering. But for the sake of consistency I figure the switch to 11/13 is day 1 of flower for me.

6 Likes

As you can tell there are always going to be different opinions when you ask enough people.

If I am reading as others are between the lines you are looking to determine the 1st day so that you can determine when to harvest your plant or plants based on the breeders recommendation.

The one thing I am sure of is that the Trichomes will always tell you when they are ready.

:point_up: This right here!

Check out this article as it has some good info.

3 Likes

Also, it can depend on what you are looking for in the finished product. Sativas often only ever get to a mix of cloudy and clear trichomes. Indicas usually need to have some ambers to achieve a heavier and more narcotic effect, which is what a lot of people are looking for. I like speedier weed, so mostly grow sativas.

3 Likes

I find it funny how people go by bud setting as day 1 of flower. Day 1 of flower is the first day you reduce your lighting schedule to 12/12. If anyone disagree’s, you can reduce your lights to 12/12 for a week then go back to 18/6 and let me know how it goes. No buds will be forming in that first week but it’s already in flower and you’ll get some funky growth happening when you revert back to 18/6. As soon as you switch the lights, plenty of things are changing within the plant that tell us it’s in the generative growing phase vs the vegetative growing phase

4 Likes

Nope.

You only harvest when the plant is ready. Has nothing to do with what the breeder recommended. Breeder is just giving you an idea of when it MIGHT be ready. Not saying you HAVE to pull at his time. You pull when the plant is ready for how you like it. Usually based on trichome cloudiness, you generally want the most cloudy and the least clears and ambers as possible.

10 Likes