ROSITEK RMP2 2-Ton - Advice - help - please

Some flower doesn’t yield well at all and can be dependent on strain, grow process/health, humidity level of the product etc etc.

With a temp of 235 (much higher than I press at) I would have expected a little better yield, yet a darker color and slightly lower quality than what should be got from a lower temp press.

Pressing definitely can take some trial and error with your method and flower used. Sadly one of my best smelling plants is HORRIBLE to press. Small yields and the rosin is a nightmare to collect off the parchment even with assistance from the freezer. But I have other strains that will press a fat yield with rosin I can roll up off the parchment with my fingers.

Also the small the micron the lower the yield but potentially cleaner result. Personally 120 is my go to for pressing flower for the most part.

Keep playing around with things and you should find a combo that works for you, all flower is not created equally :+1:

6 Likes

Hmm… I usually press things that are between 50 and 60%, so I would think 65 would have been fine.

1 Like

It really is cultivar dependent. I’ve had flower press as low as 6% and as high as 30%.

I typically pre-press 5 grams of flower and put it in a 160 micron screen. I press at 95°C (about 195°F) for about four minutes. I start with a real low pressure and slowly add more as the rosin starts to get the bag wet.

8 Likes

When making a pre-press puck, should I attempt any temp control?

• Maybe hitting the press with a heat gun, if so how hot?
  • Is there any benefit in then cooling the puck down, like in the freezer, before pressing?

These spent pucks look like a lot of resin is left in them, in the weave of the bag, etc. Not sure about the weed pancake itself. I have been throwing them in a smal 4oz jar of 200 proof ethanol to maybe reclaim later. Is the view worth the climb?

1 Like

I pre-press without any heat. I have a 600lb hand clamp I use with a 1.5x1.5" mold to form the pucks.

I’ve never tried bottle tech, but hear that’s the way to go with no pre-press necessary.

I am certain it is your flower and not your technique/equipment.

Yes you can reclaim quite a bit from the bags. I like to remove the weed puck from the bag and rinse the bags in alcohol for about 5 minutes. I then evaporate the alcohol and use the remaining resin for edibles.

6 Likes

This is pretty old, but shows a step by step of my pressing process.

4 Likes

As other have mentioned, the biggest factors that influence yield ime

1.) Cultivar - this is the biggest imho. GG4 will ooze resin, a Haze probably wouldn’t. Try to find cultivars/breeders that are known for extraction or hash making.

2.) Moisture level of bud - you want this on the higher side. I like the throw a couple of fresh fan leaves in the jar with herb I’m going to press 24 or 48 hours ahead of time to re-hydrate the buds. You definitely want them more spongey feeling and less brittle.

3.) Pre-press mold - I yield better when I pre-press my bud into a mold. I use this one. I’ll pre-press with no heat. Then take the pre-pressed pucks and put them in the bags. Then place the puck/bag on the heated plates and increase the pressure just enough to start heating both sides of the puck. After heating for approximately 1 minute, slowly increase the pressure, pump by pump. Once you start seeing rosin ooze, you can experiment with the increasing pressure or just leaving as is to see how much will ooze out.

4.) Temperature - lower is better quality, higher temp - more yield.

You’ll get it dialed in and be overflowing with rosin in no time…

3 Likes

Ya the pucks are worth processing as @ReikoX mentioned. Personally I just toss 10-15 pucks into a pot with 16 oz MCT oil and add in 20+ grams of CBD hemp flower and stir/extract for 2-5 hours at 140-240 degrees F and then strain all I can through cheesecloth.

(after cooled down a bit) I then stick gelatin capsules in a 3d printed pill holder, suck oil into a syringe and fill up all the capsules, cap them off and throw them in a small mason jar so they can chill in the freezer and not melt the capsules.

I really want to make something for my shop press so I can squeeze more oil out of the material before I throw it away.

Good luck! :+1:

2 Likes

My gf just got me the same press for my birthday cause she knew I was bummed I didn’t win anything from the raffle lol.

I pressed some grim glue and it was low yielding as well.

Couldn’t quite get the pressure right as u can adjust the length of top plate before moving the lever but when it “locks” down you can only release pressure. Very hard and impractical to tighten the nut to increase pressure while it’s locked down.

Feel like it’s just “stuck” between the plates, tried doing a directional fold for one press, didn’t notice much of a difference.

1 Like

I have the same press and had same issue.
I’ve watched videos where they got good yields but mine have sucked. I recently harvested some runtz I’m going to give it another shot with a pre press before pressing in the rmp2.

2 Likes

Damn that’s rough. Maybe the press itself just cant put out the pressures that are really needed. :thinking:

2 Likes

Unfortunately I didnt have my camera handy, but I got my first decent squish last night.

Put 2.5g of zKittelz at 67% rH into the pre-press
I pre-pressed for about 30 minutes.
Pre-heated the unit at 205f for 30 minutes
Applied pressure slowly and gradually for 30 secs, feeling it melt and not pushing to hard when it starts to give.
Flipped the lever to lock position for 2 minutes.

I got .52g out of 2.5g puck.

I did have a small blowout, the puck slid towards where I folded the parchment in half, it blew out at the fold. Next time I will just use two separate sheets of parchment.

I got a good sticky rosin that was easy to scrape off the parchment. It tasted yummy as hell. Got baked.

Anyway, I have now seen that this RMP2 can deliver. It looks like it is all about technique, and perhaps that 67% rH helped too.

All input is welcome.

I have hope…

5 Likes

Why such a long pre press?

Because I have no clue what it should be.

I wanted the press temp good n stable, so I allowed 30 minute warmup. The pre-press 30m was arbitrary, just took advantage of the warm up wait. Pre-pressed right after I flipped the unit on.

1 Like

2.5g puck
very slow press until locked
2 min squish
Yield .11g

Sure feels like a waste of weed…

2 Likes

0.11g from 2.5g is a 4% return. That is a waste of weed. But are you sure you measured the rosin right because that looks like more than 0.11g.

2 Likes

I will double check, its in the freezer now. Confident in my method though. I have a nice cuticle tool that I use for scraping. I put it on the scale, tared the scale, scraped the rosin and weighed the tool.

Edit: Me and my big mouth! It weighs in at 0.16g , good eye @schmarmpit . My scale must not have had a solid footing or something.

1 Like

Well that’s not much of a difference anyways. Now you’re at 6%. There is tons of variability in starting material, and as others have stated, around 62% moisture helps. But 6% return is still kind of low IMO. My trim usually gets around 13%. Flowers can be 20 - 30% returns. But some strains are just not great producers. Sometimes I don’t get great returns on the sativa leaners.

2 Likes

It’s really strain dependant in my experience, just like others have posted.
I’ve had super frosty not dense bud constantly yield less than 10%. I figure they are better to make bubble hash out of instead of flower rosin.
You just have to test each strain but make sure moisture level is between 55-65% for best results.
I’ve had a couple strains that are real dense and frosty that I thought would yield good but only got like 10-15%.

My Twinkle tarts isn’t the densest bud or frostiest but it consistently gets me 25% rosin on cured flower

And my sundae driver is pretty dense and i can get 25% if conditions are right.

6 Likes

I just got a few good yields in the RMP2 finally. The flower used must be 65% rh to get a decent yield and the frostier and oily the strain the better. Adjusting the pressure knob has helped. I set mine for 210f and squish for 2 mins. I used recently harvested white runtz popcorn buds Pressed together and got good results. Hopefully you can get it going it’s a nice little press.

2 Likes