Medicating has become... boring?

I have been finding lately, I just feel disappointed every time I medicate. Part of that is tolerance, T break on the calendar soon. I’ve noticed though pick ups feel like paying bills instead of before like grocery shopping more; there is a bit of excitement in variety and so on… but now I actually just feel shitty. I go, dump a bunch of money, and what I get in return is… well whatever I’m fortunate enough to get. Lack of strain labeling or consistency in the single brand that offers bulk, rather than buying $65 an 1/8th. Bulk flower is pretty much the only affordable option for me, so smoking the same strain, day in day out, dulls the pallet. "Vaper‘s tongue“.

The problem is, when medicating (ie taking x numbers of hits until I reach the desired state. I use to come home from work, and a nice cold piece and some fresh ground flower would just melt away everything. Now? It’s more like eating, but only getting prison food. It satisfies the need at hand, I get anxiety relief, but I’m left feeling disappointed given how much I’m dumping into this…

I guess over all this brings up two major questions. Firstly, has anyone had good success switch off inhalation entirely to remove the dopamine associated behavior of the instant delivery? I use to smoke cigs, and that quickly translated to smoking more than I probably should. I’ve never been able to get off inhalation delivery methods because of the time delay, but if I find a regular dose and take it regularly, it’s no different than my ass load of pills I take. What’s a few more?

Secondly; does it matter? It does what it should. If I have enough money to drop I can still have a good time if I wanted. Ultimately though- this is medicine.

FWIW Capsules are maybe and option, I have poor results with edibles; RSO sublingually is probably the best non inhalation method.

6 Likes

Yup. Switch it up a bit.

Having choices makes it better. Have an indica on hand. Have a Sativa on hand.

Buy something you know you like in bulk and pick up an 1/8 of something different.

All the best

8 Likes

I usually get some concentrate to add to a bowl to change it up, or 1/8th if they have something good. Usually don’t so eh…

Bulk options aren’t strain labeled beyond Indica, Hybrid, or Sativa and it lists basic 4 cannabinoids. Im use to 20%+ Sativas like Durban Poison or Sour Diesel; while sativas I don’t really care for any over the other, they all feel weak and I don’t like the taste as much usually, but I’m sure I can find some strains with more citrus/pepper terpenes. Plus to growing, hopefully by the end of the year. Mag Landrace or Harley Tsu are great, but I use it at a far higher rate, I would guess just because of the increase in CBD mean decrease in THC.

4 Likes

I’m in the position where I have a good supply but I’ve also got good variety which is just as important.

If you told me I’d have to smoke northern lights every day for a year I’d get bored fast.

Growing is the best medicine, even more than smoking.

10 Likes

I don’t know that I’ll take to the plants, but spending time on this site researching is definitely helping giving me something to do, some direction for the energy. I always say I’m not very sane when I’m not working. ADHD I guess.

Keeping plants to 5 max over 5in limits variety; and more than I need. I need to research into storage beyond humidified stash jars. Alternatively I like the idea of dwarfs but I haven’t done much research there either. If I can have a dwarf crop of a few strains every month, that’d be pretty dope.

3 Likes

5 strains is plenty to keep things fresh, pick any strain you are interested in and you can do a short veg and employ training methods to keep them tiny

4 Likes

That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure if there was more particular dwarf genetics at play. Good news, sweet!

2 Likes

Even if you don’t go into growing to completely supply your needs, you could at least get a small grow just to have something to change things up.
With 5 plants you could get a decent supply of secondary meds every few months. Over time you could put away a little from each grow and instead of coming home to the same stuff every day, you could come home and have your choice from your regular bulk meds or 5-6 other options.

7 Likes

Yeah, variety for sure. 3 at the very least is where I’d like to be, but sometimes it’s that same three all month… Frequent smalls grow sound quite appealing, actually. Keep stock of my favorites, then add in a little variety. Just have to wait patiently, I suppose. I’m about 2 months behind on my grow space. I get more and more tempted every day to just go out to my friends farm and drop a few seeds. Wouldn’t be the first time he’s had it happen, and that shit was decent even without being tended.

2 Likes

Once you start growing, the fun never ends!

You get to decide on your own medicine :smiley:

4 Likes

I started to experience this, as you say its like eating now, something I have to do to keep the pain level down rather than something I want to do, when I feel like it. I try and stay away from the weed as much as possible during the day until I cant function from the pain any longer.

I have about 12 strains jarred atm, even that gets a little boring, I will stand there looking at them trying to decide which one is not going to disappoint me lol. I also have RSO oil which I use now and again to switch it up. Try using different combinations of strains as well as just the individual ones, that hits different receptors and mixes it up a bit.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m trying to disassociate recreational use or breakthrough anxiety/insomnia from my normal daily dosing. Ideally I could take (x)mg of oil 3 times a day. But I rarely find the right dose. It’s so much easier to get and maintain a functional high inhaling. I use for PTSD so fortunately I don’t always need pain relief from it- but I have to have a shit load to get to any sort of pain relief. Heavy side of regular dosing helps the anxiety and mood stability. Pain relief though; I tested it the other night. I must’ve lifted something wrong at work, my sciatic nerve was just screaming. Anyways, I only have the 1 1/4“ Raw cones, they hold around .5g usually. I had one. Decent high, but fuck if that pain isn’t still there. Well, fine, another. Now I’m spinning around in my head about to just fall asleep: oh there is the pain relief. Was nearly 5am at that point and I didn’t feel like staying up to see how the pain relief was at that point I just slept… but I don’t particularly want to use 1g+ when I could just take something stronger. Hell, I get more of a ”body high“ from alcohol. I picked up some good indica today, maybe it’ll work out a little better for the pain; but alas no CBD content. I have a bit of Mag Landrace RSO of been saving for ICE (chronic pancreatitis, so er visits are quick and painful. Any relief I can get before they pump me full of morphine is appreciated)

-Holy fuck Im high off this Sugar I just got, sorry that was such a rambler. Didn’t even realize until I noticed I’ve been writing for like 20 minutes, lol. Back still hurts but I’m not going to get anything done today if I smoke anymore lol.

4 Likes

sorry to the posters, i wanted to like everything but am out of luv for a while the site tells me, i owe you all.
@ChemicalDependant I am in like the same boat, actually its why i started to grow again, wife wanted me to.
Tolerance for me also means i can not smoke related strains, I do get small buzzes from some stuff.
Anyways see talking about it helped lol by the end of your convo you got high!

2 Likes

I agree with what everyone else is saying, that you should just grow (some of) your own. In addition to being able to pick and choose your meds, growing’s just fun. It really enhances my appreciation of life. When I’m not growing, I find myself feeling kind of aimless, restless etc. And when I have plants growing, no matter if they’re just seedlings or in full-on bloom mode, I feel better. It’s something to do, something to take my mind off of other things. And I just love growing. Best believe I’m not some hippy-dippy dude who gets all zen in the garden (no offense to those of you who do), but actually, I really do feel like just looking at my plants every day, watering them every other day, brings a sense of calm and well-being that I don’t think I’d experience with anything else.

6 Likes

Absolutely; productive routines are wonderful for mental health.

4 Likes

If I don’t have several kinds of weed I get bored as well

Switch over to batties for a week

8 Likes

What are Batties? Sorry, im old lolol.

3 Likes

One hitter

4 Likes

Yeah… But it’s more than just being a “routine.” It’s me being proactive and taking control of things that I can control (to a degree; never can tell what a plant might do… and that’s one of the best things about growing, the newness every time I pop a seed). I mean, honestly, one of the things I bitch about growing organically is that there’s really nothing for me to do except water the plants every other day. Sometimes I’ll add coconut or aloe to the water or fulvic acid or something, but really it’s only about fifteen minutes of “work” every other day. And it really isn’t “routine” either. Sometimes I water right at lights-on, sometimes I water later in the day. I don’t necessarily have a routine.

I think that just being invested in something, even if it’s not time-consuming, helps me out. Knowing that I’ve got this thing going on that I really love doing, that I’m pretty passionate about (or as passionate as I’m capable of being) helps me out a lot.

I dunno if you’ve ever seen that documentary “Riding Giants” about big wave surfing. But there’s a part in it where Laird Hamilton talks about when there’s no big waves to surf and he just gets like,”Uggghhhmmmm…” Super-depressed and aimless. That’s how I feel when I’m not growing (which isn’t often these days…).

Try it, man. I think that once you get started, you’ll love it and be like,”I can’t believe I didn’t start this sooner…” It’s really helped me out. I love it.

3 Likes

I haven’t read the whole thread, but to chime in for a bit, I know the feeling you’re describing - one thing that’s helped me is to just slow down.

I’m primarily a rec user, but I find it does wonders for my anxiety, ADD and nerve pain. So, I’m pretty much stoned the entire time I’m awake, but the pain relief is more of a bonus for me. Some salt to take with my words.

I too felt it lose it’s ‘special’ something-ness, it became part of my routine and while I appreciated the effects, it wasn’t an ‘event’ anymore.

It won’t be ever again either. That’s just a fact of life for those of us who are heavy users. But that’s ok!

I think the key for helping me was to realize that weed wasn’t really a “drug” anymore, anymore than caffeine and nicotine are “drugs” to me. It’s not an event you sit down and enjoy (unless you take the time to, more on that in a bit). It’s a part of my life, and my routine, and it’s going to pervade my entire life - of course it’s going to start to feel normal.

Whenever I get that feeling and it starts to make me not appreciate bud, I go lay down or sit somewhere I haven’t been in a while and close my eyes. Holy shit, all of a sudden I’m stoned as hell. 5 minutes before on the couch, watching TV and dicking around on the laptop, I would have sworn I was sober. Well not sober, but not… that special feeling I used to get from being high.

Throw on some music and just close my eyes and let my brain explore and wander and I come close to that feeling again.

You won’t get it back without a significant T break, and if you use to treat PTSD or anxiety/depression, you probably won’t/can’t do that.

The only way forwards is to change your relationship with the bud. Practice presence when you’re stoned and you won’t feel so bored. :slight_smile:

7 Likes