Scorpio's First Grow (Canada)

A few pics and a question. Everyone loves questions, right?

Had a little visitor today! Must be getting close to spring around here! :slight_smile:

Lucky wanted a hair cut so I took a little off the side to give him some fresh air. :wink:

Next time he will get a little off the top.

Here is a family Pic of them all. Blue dream is the baby finally starting to grow and Gorilla on the right. Lucky is going to town now! :slight_smile:
Kind of hoping Lucky is a female so I can get some clones!
Oh, pics are done so here’s my question…
I want to top Lucky very soon and saw that some people use pruning sealer to seal the cut on their plant after cutting. Is that needed on these little plants or only the larger one? I only saw it from larger plants being grown outdoors, so I thought maybe I wouldn’t need it. Thanks for any help!

Hope everyone is staying safe,

HAGO!

4 Likes

Ooops! Somehow family pic didn’t go through! Here it is…

HAGO!

7 Likes

Another quick family pic…

Largest one is ready for a chop but just waiting to get the pruning sealer I ordered on Amazon. Wasn’t sure if I needed it but it wasn’t much and if it helps the plant heal faster after topping it seems good to me. I saw some people use it in videos on Youtube. In the vids they were mostly larger plants grown outside and would have hollow stems where they were cut (topped) so not sure if I need it or not on my smaller ones? They might not have as much hollow in the smaller stems but I haven’t done topping before so I will have to see as I do it. I may have to top it soon without the stuff if it’s not here in time for this one but at least I’ll have it for the next one if needed.
Blue Dream is still smaller than the rest but starting to do a lot better now. Even though it is super short it is starting to get undergrowth. Looks funny since my others didn’t get any til they were about a foot tall and this one is like half of that maybe!

That’s all for now.

HAGO!

5 Likes

They are looking very happy.
I’m interested in seeing what you think about that sealer when you get it (I had to wack off a couple lower branches this grow and didn’t like the hollow stumps)

Cheers
G

1 Like

Lucky was getting a bit bushy so got a trim today!
Before:

After:

Hard to tell in the pics but I did some of the Lollipop method so easiest to see at the bottom the last few leaves on the branches are gone. I hear it’s 3 to 4 nodes to leave on and get rid of everything after? I did 4 just to stay on the safe side being my first time.
Here is all I got off plus I have been trimming a few here and there as I went to remove the large shading ones and let light through to undergrowth.

Think I did ok. I still haven’t topped it and it is now above my tomato cage as you can see in the pic! Was waiting for the stuff I ordered but maybe next grow it will show up! Lol!
Last pic - Group Shot!

Blue Dream is doing really well now and Gorilla seems ok as well after having those curled leaves the new growth is back to normal.
Don’t see either catching up to Lucky but I’ll try my best to help them out! :wink:

HAGO!

6 Likes

All looking healthy

2 Likes

Oh, forgot when I was talking about topping Lucky, can someone tell me the usual node to top at indoors vs outdoors (if that is even done). I think I saw that it was above the 12th or 15th node? Just thought it would be good to know for on my other plants. Maybe they won’t be as tall as Lucky but could be as wide! :wink:

1 Like

Dude…I hope you made a few cuts of that…looks like an old school strain!!! Does it hit like a skunk?

3 Likes

For me it depends on the strain, but ‘safe’ is the top of the tomato cage.
Looking at your mix of plants, my question is “when are you thinking about flipping to flower?”

Cheers
G

1 Like

That is a very good question. I still can’t really see if the largest is male or female. Probably a noob! I can zoom in and take a pic for some help but don’t really see any of those calyx (not sure on spelling either!)
I was hoping to keep the larger one in veg a bit and let the others catch up a little. Will they only show sex when I flip the light schedule?

Ya, it very well could be an old strain. I got it from a long-time grower I know. It was mixed in with several random seeds he gave me. It had no issues the entire grow so I was happy with it.

1 Like

Did you keep cuts?

1 Like

Those are fat, indica fan leaves…I need what you have.

1 Like

I am going to try and clone it from the top that I will be cutting off soon. May take more from lower but see how that one goes. Also I was originally going for seeds so have to see if there are any males or not. If not I have no pollen so will have no choice but to clone. Never done it before, so wish me luck!

Hear is a pic of the top node on Lucky but I don’t see anything that would suggest the sex.

Let me know if you agree!

HAGO!

1 Like

@Scorpio, while it is not impossible to clone your top, it takes longer and in my experience not recommended. The lower branches are much better for cloning. Just my thoughts.
Cheers,

3 Likes

I just figured I’d try since I was topping it anyways. Thanks for the info though, never really heard that. Thought it would all be the same. :slight_smile:

Attack of the Clone!

First Clone Ever! Any badges for me LemonadeJoe? Lol!
Others are doing well so I am happy. :slight_smile:

Think I am getting better at this but finished product will let me know for sure :slight_smile:

HAGO!

5 Likes

I always clone tops and haven’t noticed any difference personally, they might be a bit slower to root. You need to put that clone in a dome (a clear ziploc bag or something works too) to keep the humidity level up a bit so it won’t sag like that. It can’t drink on its own without roots so is bleeding moisture out into the drier air.

Plants really blew up in the last couple weeks!

2 Likes

Ya. They have blown up! I don’t have much more room to move my light up! I will have to watch carefully for tip burn!
Oh, yes, I do have a dome on the clone. If you zoom on the second pic with all of them you can see it’s leaves aren’t hanging as much. Sorry, I just couldn’t get a good pic with it so had took it off for a minute. Easier to see! :wink:
I think it is taking ok, has been a few days now and still nice and green. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hit the main reply instead of on your comment and edit won’t fix it so here you go! Lol! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes