Seed popping comments

Deffo anxious… it’s been a long road of failure on my end… but that’s an entire different conversation involving high end led lighting. Let me ask you this… how do you feel about uvb light increasing resin production? Say … 15 mins on… 45 off during lights on during flowering until the last week or so

1 Like

Too many go by the old school of adding amendments to the backfill, but’s that’s what the label says, eh. I engage in Facebook gardening forums, make a point quite often not to make a non draining pot within the ground. I use many tools to fracture the hole’s sides and bottom, my fave being a 2’ deep subsoiler with a front knife - 3 pt. https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/soil-amendments.pdf

Folks, good reading here, lots to learn from a pro. Linda Chalker-Scott | Washington State University

Going to send you a photo @Oldjoints.

1 Like

Never tried it. I think growing a plant to it’s maximum limits using solid cultural principles is more important than a lighting company’s marketing gimmics. Pot of today is plenty strong enough with plenty of resin.

1 Like

I have 100pct germ rate the way I do things.
I have some 20 years old seeds that I might pop soon but I am sure there will be males and I have nothing to do with them.

No matter how good you are germinating seeds if when placing them in the pots you let them fall and brake the root.

Happened to me recently and yet the seed survived and is growing normally.

Cheers

1 Like

Hey brother, so why the change? I use perlite in my coco mix but have never used vermiculite. What do you find are the advantages of using it over perlite?

1 Like

Here we have red clay. I dug holes with my buddy watching me for some outdoor growing of cannabis. After digging the holes I went into the garage and grabbed a 3 ft rebar and sledgehammer and started driving it in the hole in all directions. My buddy thought I was crazy until I explained it all to him and why I would go through all that trouble.
Long story short by the end of the season he understood:

image image image

12 Likes

Be very cautious of the dust from vermiculite, can cause big lung issues.

4 Likes

Perlite is too fragile, crumbles, and I don’t like handling it. Creates a lot of dust dry. Hope you wear a mask. Also, read that vermiculite contains trace elements where perlite is inert.

I use vermiculite and pine bark fines as a filler and to aerate. Pine bark amendments can be some of the best and cheapest stuff you can use FWIW. I also have cypress mulch. it’s super clean, holds moisture well. Being coarse I use it as a base in my orchid mixes.

5 Likes

Have not had any dust issues, Palmetto brand is very clean. Sure you’re not thinking of perlite?

2 Likes

Yes, I do wear a mask when I mix the perlite. I mix in big bins so half a bag of coco, layer of perlite and then the second half a bag of coco over top. This tends to keep the dust to a min. Then it’s mix, fill the pots and repeat. I know some rinse their perlite but I don’t bother. Seems to do a good job as a medium. I do like the fact that it’s inert much like the coco I use. Then the plants only get what I feed them.

6 Likes

I just looked it up both are safe! Talking out my ass! :laughing:

3 Likes
1 Like

Looks like you buy in bulk @DougDawson. I saved a flat rate shipping fee of $200 recently on some very heavy items. Hell, the bag of BM7 soil was a struggle to load. Get on their mailing list for notifications. They really have some great deals. greenhousemegastore.com too.

This is a steal. Very high quality too. https://www.gardenersedge.com/berger-bark-growing-mix-3-cu-ft/p/BM7

1 Like

Yes, I bought in bulk, won’t need perlite for a few seasons, lol.

2 Likes

Here we have red clay. I dug holes with my buddy watching me for some outdoor growing of cannabis. After digging the holes I went into the garage and grabbed a 3 ft rebar and sledgehammer and started driving it in the hole in all directions. My buddy thought I was crazy until I explained it all to him and why I would go through all that trouble.
Long story short by the end of the season he understood:

Excellent job! Ass kickin’ trees they are. How did those bad girls finish out?

I have a red clay loam. Problem is when you use a shovel or post hole digger you create a glaze such that the roots can’t penetrate into native soil. I advise folks to use whatever they have to fracture their ground - hand held pick ax, big flat head screwdriver, etc. After my old pick ax crapped out I bought this. Is a great tool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DD7MMX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Trick - grow for a while in a 3-5 gallon pot preferably one with a lot of drain holes, like 6 or 8. When it’s time to “let it rock” dig a 3" deep hole, drop the pot in, cover the bottom with dirt. The roots will find the drain holes and really dig in. I’d run a 1/4" hose terminating with a 3 gph emitter off my main 1/2" irrigation black poly line and water the pot along with my field crop.

This was pure sativa in August. Harvested in Nov. (Wispy) colas got so heavy they laid over in spite of my lame efforts to support them.

7 Likes

And this folks is the BEST Christmas gift Santa can bring you. I can put a knife edge on hand shears, an ax, shovel or do fine Japanese kitchen steel in no time at all. Every gardener should own one.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=work+sharp+knife+sharpener&i=garden&crid=K132JXNBEGY5&sprefix=work+sharp%2Cgarden%2C198&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_10

I ended up selling this one and buying the Ken Onion edition for the belt grinder attachment. I use it to put razor edges at like 15 degrees on fine Japanese steel kitchen knives. Also for farm stuff. Am so anal that I attach a small T RV level on top of each side of the knife blade as I’m passing it over the belts maintaining the 2 bubbles in center. This makes for a perfect angle on the edge. Magnet on the bottom holds it in place well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDSSDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

They did well except they got no morning sun and started getting some mold. So harvested a little early and turned it all into Bubblehash.
They had some nice cola’s on them though:

image image

6 Likes

What kind of problem(s) will I have if I don’t cook the flour before mixing it with the pollen?

1 Like

Very nice!

Morning sun is not only the best light for photosynthesis but it helps dry off dew. I use several fungicides OMRI certified - Magnabon CS 2005 and https://www.amazon.com/Phyton-Oz-Systemic-Bactericide-Fungicide/dp/B00VKPL8FU

Copper sulfate pentahydrate chemistry. Can be applied via a soil drench or foliar spray.

Don’t know. I just made a habit of it since flour usually contains weevils, eggs and no telling what other critters we can’t see. It’s one of those “what if” things.

Don’t cook the flour, just heat it up a little in a small pot.

Biggest tip in that ditty is to take out only enough from the batch for one dusting session. You dip a sticky artist’s brush back in the entire batch and you will ruin it.

Have fun!

2 Likes