Seed Run Co-Op Bodhi F2 DBHP - Give Away Has Ended

Calcium carbonate exchangeable for the calcium oxide? (Quicklime I have none, eggshells on the other hand…)

3 Likes

Good substitute I’d think in KNF i believe that would be 4mls of water soluble calcium in a gallon of water!

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle Idk, I get the feeling the carbon in place of the oxygen might change the final product, but I don’t have a reasonable method for bringing eggshells up to 1700F

2 Likes

The flat cola stumps me. Why are we adding a bunch of preservatives and corn syrup to this recipe? Are we using it for the bicarbonate? Maybe potassium bicarbonate would work as a substitute? There has to be a more natural substitute.

4 Likes

@ReikoX not sure if I’v posted it yet in my homemade potions thread there’s recipes calling for cola I’ll have to look that one up if not posted yet!

Not sure if it’s foliage spray or a soil drench!

2 Likes

@Worcestershire_Farms In KNF eggshells are browned and added to vinegar at 1:10 parts dilution and allowed to dissolve the calcium for about two weeks then when done further diluted 1:1000 with water

2 Likes

My thinking is since the point of the recipe is an anionic tea, calcium oxide is used because it is anionic. Then calcium carbonate is neutral, (according to google.) The calcium acetate(?) in the knf recipe is also neutral(?) and that may affect the result. I’ve never taken a chemistry class in my life tho soooo…

4 Likes

Just got done looking at a couple recipes in Jerry’s book a lot of the cola, beer, and surprising ammonia recipes sounds like that there used for boosting microbes in soils and/or compost piles even a lot of weak teas are incorporated as well might be fun to try it as an experiment !

4 Likes

Yeah. The beer is for yeast I get that. Ammonia? WoW. I have the KNF WCA, but lately just grind the eggshells and add them to the worm bins. Actually, everything seems to filter through the worm bins them an EWC top dress. Speaking of, it’s about time to harvest some castings. Thing fills up fast.

4 Likes

M 2 I have about 3/4 of a 20 gallon smartpot that’s really broken down my best guess would 30-40 lbs of gardeners gold!

3 Likes

Not for this foliar… quick lime is dehydrated calcium oxide and carbon dioxide so when it is rehydrated, the carbon dioxide is released changing it into calcium hydroxide

3 Likes

We are using it for the plant soluble form of phosphorus as well as, the simple sugar in it so when it is combined with molasses (a complex sugar) they combine for a quick carbon entry.

Phosphoric acid (H3Po4) is very corrosive so it is highly regulated and will bind to calcuim making both unavailable to the plants. By adding see salt, it forces the phosphorus to drop a molecule effectively changing it into a form plants use = H2Po4…the quicklime changed into calcium hydroxide (a quick soluble calcium) with carbon dioxide is used to transition 1 time (from seedling to plant) in Veg whereas Calcium Phosphate (roasted eggshells with acv) is used to transition from veg to flower 1 time (at light flip)…the liquid fish and kelp not only gives amino’s but drives the phosphate and sugars down to the roots as an exudate to attract the microbes… all to increase the energy without tampering with the soil so the plant, roots and microbes are primed for the growth foliar and drenches used here on out: Soft Rock Phosphate, chalk (calcium carbonate), liquid fish, seed sprouts and potato starch water

10 Likes

They survived! lol

Phosphorus takes ~5-10 days for 50% absorption according to Midwest Laboratories Foliar Nutrition

Lets take a closer look…

Day 23

Day 22

Day 20

Still waiting for the results on the soil test though IAG did take payment on the 14th so “should” be any day now…so far so good

9 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the chemistry involved here. All this KNF/high brix stuff is so complicated.

For me, I try and be as lazy as possible. Just curious, how many hours a week do you estimate you spend making these additives? What is their shelf life? The plants are clearly doing well. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

Looking great so far MOTR. Good job. :+1:

3 Likes

Bodhi sure does have some nice gear,
Nice work…:+1:
Definitely following this one.

4 Likes

No problem… some chemistry is needed to keep it organic :wink: Idk, its how I learned to grow so its easy for me now hydro that is entirely another beast I am finding complicated and more hands on than I prefer lol

Truly, most of the work is done…because its a brand new soil, I have to nurture it a bit but no more than any other soil. On the next round, there will be less inputs and have to go into a large pot on the 3rd round.

Lets see, Lab and rice/brown sugar microbe mix takes the longest and lasts a year in my fridge…stir in water and go; the quick fermented horsetail and nettle tea’s is ready to use as soon as it cools off from its boil…stir in water and go - they last 6 months so I just pick a few more bundles to hang dry to redo in Feb and just mixed the amendments for the growth tea today to get ready for tomorrow…this one is short lived lasting ~3-5 days once the ingredients are mixed together.

Other than that, once I get the soil test back, i’ll follow the recommendations to top dress the soil with what is missing. It takes longer to make a ham and cheese sandwich from here on out :wink:

9 Likes

Thank you!

Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Well, I think you’re doing what works for you and the plants are responding. Can’t wait to see more brix measurements.

4 Likes

Alright so far, we have…

• Built the soil, added a microbe drench and sent off a sample for testing to let me know what the soil needs
  • Planted catgrass in soil to check viability
  • Collected local micro organisms to add in a couple of times during the grow
  • Made Lactobacillus serum (LAB) to add in when needed for quick break down or keep other microbes in check
  • Made seedling mix & germinated seeds: kelp for amino’s, peat for substrate, lime for ph balance and chunky perlite for air
  • Transplanted seedlings from 4" pots into 3gallon pots hooked up to blumats so the root ball will stay moist with the outer edge of the soil drying out only getting water when the soil next to the root ball starts to get dry. This effectively sends roots out searching for water with an instant reward and no interference from me
  • Gave anionic Phosphoric Tea to prime the plants roots for quick growth and attract microbes not only to existing roots but to new ones as well

2 days after a foliar, we need to give the soil a drench to increase root pressure once a week. This is needed to not only build up minerals entering via roots and leaves but sap and hormones created during photosynthesis so the plant puts them into storage instead of using right away. So today, I will be going over how to make the Growth tea.

We will need…

Premix Minerals: 12Tb Limestone from Calcium Carbonate (food grade chalk), 10 Tb Soft Rock Phosphate and 6Tb Gypsum

Sprout Seeds for PGR’s (Plant Growth Regulators): Any work but have to be quick growing…barley, cucumber, sunflower etc…can sprout a bunch and freeze them ahead of time

Potato starch water - reserve from making mashed potato’s for dinner. Lasts ~2wks unleess frozen into ce cubes

Now a day before use, take 1 1/4c water and add 3/4 tsp mineral mix, 1Tb seed sprouts, 1Tb liquid fish and 1Tb potato starch water and blend well

Set this to the side. Add 1Tb lab and 1 Tb rice/brown sugar microbe mix into 1 gallon of water - set to side

Tomorrow (late morning) I will add both solutions to each other and give them 2 1/2c each so by the afternoon when the cabinet temps reach 79F, the plants stomata’s will close to build root pressure for a few hrs before lights off and the stomata’s open again

9 Likes