Seed Run Co-Op Bodhi F2 Jungle Spice - Give Away Has Ended

It BEGINS…

There are 2 phenos for males in the population – 3 are tall 2 are short. The taller ones are maturing sooner, and are starting to drop pollen. The shorter ones in the 2nd photo look like they might produce some resin, but also the one in the picture is popping some pistils.

I’ve read mixed opinions on males that pop pistils… some good some bad. I haven’t observed any female herming issues with an JS plants I’ve grown so far, so I’ll probably leave it in.

15 Likes

Looking good bro! Just wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank you for you time and energy, I appreciate it, Thank you.

3 Likes

For sure dude! I hope you like the strain as much as I do. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Indeed. Ready to drop a few Qk#4s too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:tada::tada::tada::punch:

I’m excited to see how those turned out.

2 Likes

This male (JS#2) is starting to make me a little uncomfortable. I’m leaning toward putting a bag over it and killing it. Need to make a decision this weekend. Anyone have strong feelings either way?

Keep in mind, we have 4 more males in the tent.

• Keep it!
  • Kill it!

0 voters

5 Likes

Sorry to see him go!

2 Likes

Its a herm tho.
Why is this even a question? Kill that a week ago.

Sorry for being so harsh but seriously why even question keeping a herm let alone using it for breeding.

5 Likes

:joy:

Kinda my feeling too, but I’m reproducing this for you all. These will be everyone’s seeds as much as mine, so I’m opening it up to the floor. I don’t have experience breeding this kind of male, but I’ve read some opinions that hermaphroditic tendencies in male dominant hermaphrodites don’t necessarily pass hermaphroditic tendencies to female offspring. Not sure about the correctness of that statement.

The preservationist side of me says, this is part of the original strain. Could be important, keep it. The breeding side of me says, looks risky, could perpetuate hermaphroditic tendencies. Kill it.

6 Likes

Ya maybe im wrong but theres a big difference in a resinous male and a male herm.
Guess we’ll see how the vote goes

1 Like

Any plant with herm traits passes those herm traits on, no matter what sex the plant is. The herm trait is not sex linked.

5 Likes

@Sebring I was scanning for calyx. To me they weren’t apparent.

Is the calyx the only thing capable of pistol production?

That has such massive herm traits I can’t see how you can even determine the base sex. Have any of the lower preflowers opened yet?

4 Likes

Yes at this point it’s hard to tell. You can look at the picture just before the post with the poll – same plant. Earlier on, it was showing mostly male traits. Now it’s really busting out pistils. No pollen has dropped, but we’re likely less than a week before that starts happening.

3 Likes

I’d say kill it, or isolate it from the breeding projects and let it complete it’s life cycle as an experiment.
probably kill it, looks like banana-ish herm growth busting the pistils, and a few male pollen sacks.

3 Likes

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. RIP my green friend.

9 Likes

Hermie male is :skull: These are the rest of the plants. Will keep growing the males another week or two. In a few more days, I’ll rotate their positions in the tent. Once the females are a little more mature and asking for space, I’ll collect pollen from all of the males and chop 'em.

I’m noticing what appears to be magnesium and potassium deficiencies on a few of the plants. I think I might ramp up the imitation SHINE to 2g/gal from current 1g/gal.

11 Likes

Calyx are just the tiny leaves surrounding the ovary or pollen sacks. Both sexes have them, but they’re more apparent in females. Pistils versus pollen sacks are what matters. For early detection, if pistils don’t appear, it’s either a primordial pollen sacks or the beginnings of a new leaf (all 3 can occur at the same nodal points).

8 Likes

“the calyx refers to a translucent layer over the ovule at a flower’s base.”

How can a male also have this unless hermed?

3 Likes

I did some googling last night on the origins of the name “Jungle Spice”. What I found is that apparently it’s a Mimosa root bark extract that provides a psychedelic experience most similar to DMT. Undoubtedly, this is the intention that Bodhi had for the name of this strain.

Some reading for those who are interested: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/w/images/b/b7/Jungle_Spice.pdf

8 Likes