Settin`up my first grow room

high all,
finally decided to start growing indoors…! This my project is quite new. I d like to start well informed an also well prepared.

Here my plans. Grow size will be about 2 to 3 m2 (6,6 to 9.84 ft). I m inclined to use LED light cause of the electricity bill.
The place will be either in my bedroom or in a shed nearby. Have to wait how my landlord is deciding. He s a farmer and thinks that weed is a wonderfull plant… He has some doubts about the legal side of it.

Here in Switzerland it is legal to plant marijuana. But only if there is not more then 1 % THC in the product…:wink:

I ll go for one big growing/flowering room. No cloning and other fancy things to begin with…

Now I m open to all of your suggestions ! What medium should I take ? earth, cocos, aeroponics, hydroponics?
Wich one is suited for a beginner ?

• How much light will I need ? How many watts per square feets/m2 ?
    What else is important to think of ? In my bedroom, noise and smell would be a issue. I wonder if it would be quiet enough to sleep in the same room ?

In the shed, noise and smell would be less of an issue…

Patiently waiting for all of your ideas and inputs…

13 Likes

Welcome to Over Grow.

Okay so I don’t have much to go with other than LEDs and an uncertain amount of space. So here is my two cents.

If it was me I’d prefer to have the grow in my bedroom over a shed for many reasons.

Yes you can grow in the room and sleep.

I’d say go soil

Grow Cuttings, Feminized Seeds, and Fem’ d Auto seeds

6 Likes

Amen I still do it in my bedroom I won’t lie it may take a little while to get used to the noise but it’s worth it for multiple reasons for one security but also noise and smell.

Cuttings/clones from somebody who either won’t give you them with bugs or has the decency prior to tell you they’ve got bugs and what bugs so you can gas the fuckers.

Advantage of starting from seed? No bugs from get go so that’s a viable option would suggest fem photoperiods all day long. Or if you just want smoke and want an easy ish ride then auto plants.

4 Likes

I think fem’d photos would be the best for a beginner, more forgiving. If you stunt your auto’s, they are not gonna give you much. A photo can take stresses and keep chugging along and you will get a decent crop.

If you grow them in your bedroom, do you have a partition or something to block the light? The lights are bright and you won’t be able to sleep through it.
I suggest getting a grow tent, or 2. You can get them in all sorts of sizes.
If you use a tent, you can control the environment pretty easily with fans. As well as control odors with carbon filters or Ona gels and the like. Plus you won’t be blinded everytime you walk into your bedroom.
If you’re doing a bunch of plants, soil. If a few big ones, DWC.

5 Likes

If you’re just starting out, soil is a good place to begin. But if you’re a fast learner and enjoy reading, you may benefit from a hydro setup…lots of info to take in here on OG. It sounds like you’re planning a pretty large grow right from the start. It may be a good idea to start small and build up, but that’s up to you.
Here’s a link to @Mr.Sparkle 's grow. He uses a small space with super efficient equipment and pulls awesome herb.
Closet Chronicles : Growing With Mr.Sparkle 2019

Best of luck to you, friend!! Stay green!!

3 Likes

Medium you want to start with is coco. Any issues and it can be flushed unlike soil. Perfect starter medium IMHO.

2 Likes

Not really if you must water them daily or they would die :sweat:, IMHO you should grow in a tent in the shed, just in case you may have problems with humidity or high temperature and you must add a noisy air extractor and/or fan.

As medium I would go for DWC, it is cleaner, faster, you can solve any issue just changing the water and it is easier to control the nutrients and pH. It was my second grow and never managed to get those buds in soil :disappointed_relieved:. Hope you enjoy your stay with us, cheers …

4 Likes

Have you ever used coco lol coco does not dry out as quick as you think bro I’m running 3L pots roughly 30 days into flower I can leave them 2 days comfortably without watering. Prolly more but wouldn’t wanna chance them drying fully.

3 Likes

Oh well, I remember reading that here in OG, my experience growing weed is like a hen house stick: short an full of sh*t :sweat_smile:.

Having to water them as with soil is a PITA, with DWC you just check the level and change the water in the reservoir once a week or even less.

I have followed your grows and they are really impressive, but you’re not a starter, my success as noob with DWC makes me think it’s easier to handle, cheers …

2 Likes

Start small and work your way up…

3 Likes

Do you have any experience growing plants (of whatever kind)?

I’d start with autoflowers in soil and bottled organic nutrients. The soil acts as a buffer and you don’t have to measure PH, EC etc all day. Depending on the pot size the plants can go several days without watering. Autoflowers are pretty easy to handle, no need to mess with different light cycles and painstakingly light proofing the grow space.

But well, in the end you will have all possible options recommended by somebody. :sunglasses:

1 Like

People is going to hate me :grin: but I wouldn’t recommend either autoflowers for starters. They have a lifetime span, any issue you may have with them you won’t have time to recover.

I am actually running the autos ReikoX kindly sent me and they have different midget sizes and already in flower :see_no_evil:. I won’t post any picture as it would go against my poor reputation :sweat_smile:.

I would choose a heavy resistant feminized strain to start with, depending on your climate, an hybrid with indica dominance.

Let us know what are your thoughts about this, cheers … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

…hmmmmm… there are no streets were I live (swiss alp-access only by cable car) so it s reallly really quiet. So I m not very confident that I will get used to the noise. I ll probably would end up on the living room sofa on a regular basis :wink:

If my landlord gives his ok, I can put up a tent in a quiet corner in one of his barns. Before I wrote that I might be growing in a shed. Thats wrong - it s a barn and I would have a room wich I could lock. Security issue is small. Cause I live really remote… but I love it :slight_smile:

For the start I ll use feminised seeds wich I get from Holland (https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/)

Not yet familiar with the grow slang, sorry… wadda you mean with ““would suggest fem photoperiods all day long.””

Is it feminised seed giving them light 24/7 ? …hmmmm…:pensive:

3 Likes

hydro sounds cool ! thanks for the link to MrSparkle s Grow, Tappy !
I ll check it out asap…! I ll stay green, dont worry :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeh then man use the barn didn’t realise you was so remote. Might have to insulate it as well don’t know what ambient temps are during day and night in the alps but I imagine it’s chilly.

And to answer your question feminised seeds do not require 24/7 lighting there are two different kinds of plants, autoflowering plants and photoperiod plants. The difference between the two is one will flower under 18/6 lighting if not more and a photoperiod vegetates under 18/6 and will typically only flower under 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

Autoflowers are reknown for being delicate little buggers so easy to stunt their growth aka fuck up and they might not even grow much bud but with it being an auto flower it may not yield overly well anyway. A photoperiod plant even when abused in the flowering stage will keep growing it won’t just stop so I personally would go for feminised photoperiods.

5 Likes

:crystal_ball: Beware of free advise! :smile: :circus_tent:

Now that we know your climate isn’t tropical or desert… :thinking:

:v: :hear_no_evil: I can sympathize; I have hearing disorders & live in an urban nightmare wasteland(Calif.) but am still disturbed by a PC fan in my bedrooom. :unamused:

Whichever environment is most thermally stable as well as safe & convenient is the best bet, IMO.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Right. I will have to insulate. During wintertime it can get freezing cold.

You over the pond are making the following distinction: autoflowering and photoperiod plants.

Here in Europe we call them autoflowering or feminised seeds/plants. Most of the times I buy feminised seeds.
Made some bad experiences with autoflowering seeds. Like final size under 1 ft. Enough material for about 4 joints… not worth the space and the trouble…

4 Likes

The non autoflower (photoperiod) seeds can be "regular’ (you can get males also) or feminized, in your case I would go for feminized … :sunglasses:

1 Like

regular seeds can be male and female, I understand… I ll go for feminised - was my plan from the beginning. I grow feminised outdoors and made quite good products. Small in weight - big in taste !

4 Likes

I grow weed outdoors since about 6 years. So I do have some experience, jup…

Soil and bottled nutrients are sounding good to me. I ll consider it…

Made only bad experiences with autoflowers so I ll opt for feminised seeds (you call them photoperiod)

3 Likes