Shaggy's Fantasy Island (A virtual exclusive cannabis community, of sorts.) (Part 2)

Apparently insects evolved from crustaceans
So, they’re cousins.

4 Likes

Bon appétit!

1 Like

A lot of folks out there are eating bugs

2 Likes

If you have a shell fish allergy, insects can make it kick in, I hear

3 Likes

I never thought about that. It makes sense though.

1 Like

@Cactus you nailed it with the Soylent green!:rofl::rofl:

Have any of you seen this movie? It’s perfect and funny lol.

4 Likes

Mud bugs! Down south

4 Likes

Seems to me, “bugs” is the operative word for this discussion. Freakin’ delicious bugs!! :yum:

2 Likes

Absolutely! We used to catch them in our ditches.

1 Like

Around here it’s “crawdad”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the mid 1970s, I worked for 3 1/2 years on the Willamette and Columbia Rivers rafting logs. Homebase was the old Portland Drydock, which was in a large eddy.

My boss was an amazing guy (hands down the best mechanic I’ve ever met) who never had a job on dry land. He grew up on the sloughs of the lower Columbia River. Took the school boat to school, served in the navy, etc. You get the picture.

His father was a Swedish immigrant who apparently was very quiet about his past. My boss, Dick, told us he didn’t really know anything about his dad’s life in the old country. By the time Dick came along, mid 1930s, and was in elementary school, early 1940s, pops was making his living trapping crawdads. According to Dick, his dad had about 1,000 traps. That’s a lot of traps! Once again, according to Dick, his dad was supplying 2/3 of the commercially sold crawdads in the entire U.S. One more according to Dick, his dad didn’t own a single float. Floats are the way marine “trappers” mark where their traps are. He knew the river so well (and it’s five miles wide there!) that he remembered where every trap was. He never lost a trap that Dick knew of!

So, there were always three traps around the drydock (also with no float, but there were only three traps in a relatively confined area!) as well as a live box hanging off one of the walkways. When we’d get maybe 30 or 40 dozen bugs, we’d melt a lot of butter, set up a couple of tables on one of the walkways, have the families come down, boil 'em up in salted water and taste iodine, delicious, delicious iodine, for the next couple of days! Fuck I loved those feeds!

4 Likes

It is how the world really is today.
If you have not seen it you gotta…

3 Likes

@mota sound like one slick dude.

With the floats I hear guy can steal your catch.

A lot of folks probably are not getting enough iodine, especially those who do not use table salt.
Some mood music…

2 Likes

Exactly! And this was prior to there being purchased drifts. It was totally open season everywhere all of the time.

OMFG, the perfect soundtrack! :yum:

1 Like

@shag thanks for the update on Z-labs. I will check in. :v:

1 Like

We watched it and yeah, it was funny.

2 Likes

New Orleans I saw the most disgusting thing! They would have crawdad boils(pronounced buril), shrimp, crab boils but they would leave the crawdad shells on the sidewalk. I mean 2’ high and 3’ diameter piles and the smell. Oh my lord! Lol

1 Like

When we did feeds, we’d get a pile of shells on a table a couple of feet high, then push all off in to the river and watch them float around till they sank. Good times.

1 Like

That not a cool thing to do! That’s trashy and nasty!

1 Like

That’s actually pretty cool. You’re returning all that energy back to the water. Something will eat it for sure.

1 Like