Skiball's LED build

Basicly the same old parallel vs series argument i got ya.

1 Like

Haha, in concept, yes. I hope you didnā€™t take that post in the wrong way. I was not trying to diss your design ideas at all.

Youā€™ll have the parallel/series conundrum in either case, voltage or current mode. There are some advantages to current mode as a source, thatā€™s all I was trying to convey. Perhaps, I did so poorly. :sweat:

1 Like

Actually you decribed it very well maybe above and beyond. Thatā€™s easy to do when we get going about something weā€™re passionate about though.

2 Likes

Holy crap that board sounds awesome. What makes you say it doesnā€™t need a Heatsink? Is it the spacing of each diode?

If itā€™s a good board I think it might give my qb a run for its money.

Ya most 288 dont need much of a heatsink and look how close they are. Just like strips donā€™t need a heatsink. Now i wouldnā€™t drive them hard n keep temps in your space steady. If i get parinoid prob just slap heatsink/fans from old led on em. Good enough for the girls i go out with.

1 Like

Finally pulled the trigger, 25$ a board, 20$ for double board heatsink. 16 boards and 8 heatsinks plus shipping came out to 710$.

2 Likes

That lot will produce a huge amount of light, hope you got shades too bro :sunglasses:

1 Like

I can see it now forget n leave a window open. Neighbors will be thinking Iā€™ve got the pearly gates in my spare bedroom.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen just how much light those diodes produce at 560w and i recon you should get shutters fitted :thumbsup:

1 Like

Nice, Iā€™m super excited! Have yet to see any lm561c in person. These boards will be pushed by 1800w in 42 sq ft tent. My bedroom has black out curtains. Yet will prob turn off the lights and use a drop light if I need to work in it.

1 Like

Be prepared to be astonished then bro. Have you ordered drivers yet cos you can rig an external dimmer to meanwell B type drivers. I can see you wanting to adjust the output a fair bit also you can dim the rig before opening the tent. I look like iā€™m on acid if i spend too long with the rigs turned up, tiny pupils and i see spots floating around for a while after.

I wasnā€™t joking about shades either cos with the light level youā€™ll be dealing with eye damage is a real possibility. I hate wearing shades indoors so dimmers are the way forward i recon :sunglasses:

Yup went with the easton that I shared earlier in the thread. 80$ for 1800w 93% effecient couldnā€™t pass it up. My tents packed with 30 2.5 gal flood n drain buckets. Donā€™t really jump in unless its n a emergency (come out sticky af lol). So Iā€™ll just do the drop light in those situations.

1 Like

Seems like you got it sussed bro but i am wondering about your tent size cos 42 sq ft seems on the small side for all those buckets and that amount of light. Isnā€™t a 5 x 5 x 5ft tall space 125 sq ft? not sure bro iā€™m tired and wrecked so i could be miss-reading :laughing: anyway iā€™m sure you know and itā€™s 2.30 am here so iā€™m off to bed :thumbsup:

Ya if you figure in the vertical demintionā€™s. Iā€™ve not seen anyone really figure that in. You donā€™t when buying a house. If ya did everyone would be living in 14,000 sq ft houses. Iā€™m going to start telling people that lol. Living that mansion life brah

1 Like

lol iā€™ve been thinking too much about ventilation lately, every footā€™s a cube :grin:

1 Like

Just my quick 2 cents get one big fan. A lot of people make the mistake of buying 2. Your max volume is the cfm of the smallest fan. If one is smaller then the other itā€™ll actually choke out the larger. Adding a 2nd will up Iā€™ll call it torque for lack of a better word but not volume.

1 Like

I always had issues with big extractors in tents, to avoid them collapsing the things you need a passive intake at least 4 times the diameter of the outlet and that presents problems in itself.

I now have a squirrel cage box fan on intake duties pulling air in through an old carbon filter and a RVK in a wooden box with a new carbon filter for extraction. Both fans are the same diameter although iā€™m using oversized ducting on the intake. I use variacā€™s to balance the flow and itā€™s working quite well. Plants seem to like a good flow of air up their skirts

1 Like