Solving RDWC root clogging

It’s my first post on this awesome platform, woohoo! Hello everyone.

I’ve encountered a specific problem that have been bothering me in a previous cycle - root system, when grown in RDWC, tends to clog the drain holes. How do you guys cope with that?

I guess that is where a handheld 3D printed would be handy, but surely there is another solution.

Thing is, clogging results in unwanted water level raise and may even cause flood. Previous cycle I was forced to drop water level in my control tank to manage, and unstable PH and temperature followed right after.

2 Likes

What size pipes are you using? The bigger the return pipes the better…you won’t get clogged pipes. I used 1 1/2 inch pipes for my system but I’ve seen people using as large as 2 inch pipes

1 Like

I’m currently on 1/2 inch pipes, both feed and return. I guess you right and I need to somewhat rework my current setup. Gosh, that roots are enormous) Maybe I need to use more than 2 gallon buckets

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve used 1/2 inch ones in the past and they clogged on me also… You will probably want bigger buckets also which will mean bigger plants too… The roots go crazy in RDWC. It’s all that “DO” or dissolved oxygen. You’ll get it dialed in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey gang !
This root clogging issue has been a major headache in the past (floods…)

I was never happy with the available RDWC designs, in particular those attempting to solve the problem by using bigger pipes.

How I solved it : Reversable flow design !

My setup has two constant level tubs ; You can do the same with just one tub and from here on I’ll describe it as if there was only one.
The tub has:
-A drain hose at the bottom,
-An overflow drain on the top.
-A Feed line (which you can see going over the tub, in the back)
Water level is set using a section that goes back up on the drain line, set right Under the level of the overflow.

The overfllow has a short crystal section: If roots clog the main drain line, water level will rise to the overflow level and I will be able to spot it in the crystal section.
This is when I reverse the flow for a couple hours : Using the shutoff vavles, I can make it so that the drain become the feed(and overflow become the drain).
This will push back all roots into the tub, and then I switch the valves back to normal.

Problem Solved

Hope this helps !
I might create a thread to explain the design better if you guys ask for it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Extra plumbing, but if it works, good on you!

You’re right : extra plumbing… however, easy and done with standard, cheap 19mm garden hose, and no glue needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is a work of beauty.

How many plants can one tub handle?

Looks like a cannabis factory :factory:

I can run anywhere from 2 plants (1plant/tub) if I’m around to grow Scrog style, and I’ve been doing up to 16 plants (8/tub) one-bud SOG style when I travel and can’t be around to tend to the plants. (I do have one person coming over once a week to do a flow reverse and change nutes when I’m away, but I wouldn’t trust them to traing the plants in scrog !).

1 Like

I plan on not traveling when my grow is under way.

That said, I travel a lot less than I used to.

What the plan for these two tubs?

hopefully this will solve your problem. If It did, I would imagine that all dwc systems would come with instructions for doing a back wash every week or x days to eliminate this problem as It seems to be a common issue. I would agree that a larger diameter hose would allow more flow regardless of root mass.

Well, I have never seen any system other than my DIY that actually HAS a reversable flow design.
Which is exactly why I created it.
Premade commercial systems can only circulate one way…

2 Likes

My system is a bit more like the traditional commercial systems and if i want to reverse the flow i can do it during a res change/clean using a strong enough pump in my control bucket.

Old thread, I know.

I tackled this issue by feeding the nutrients from the bottom and allow an overflow on the top as the the return to the sump.

The overflow is right at the high level mark. Roots have not been an issue as all the roots reached downwards well below the waterline.

Bringing back an old thread but this could help someone. Instead of using underflow tubing I made it overflow instead. Still a very simple setup and I used 1.25” pvc for the overflow/return and used 1/2” tubing for the pump. With this setup the water level stays the same in the plant totes.

3 Likes