Stretch with led vs stretch with HPS

@DougDawson and I are clearly nerds about this shit…

:rofl:

:nerd_face:

:broccoli:

:fist_right: :fist_left:

7 Likes

h5Z1mOq-ezgif.com-resize

6 Likes

Thank you very much I didn’t know that

I’ll buy a PARmeter

But for exemple if I do 800 PPFD it’s not good because too much light ?

1 Like

@trytogoodbud that’s all depending on many variables.

Here’s a quick synopsis from one of OG’s sponsors! lol

3 Likes

Temp difference between night and day has a big impact too. The bigger it is, the bigger the node elongation. Some people do heat their tent at night to regulate that. It’s probably more of a trouble with HID than LED given the former runs the tent warmer.

3 Likes

No PPFD / DLI discussion is complete without a shoutout to Professor Bugbee:

-Grouchy

7 Likes

I love how in the video’s still it almost looks like he’s going: “What the fuck is this in my hand?!?”

5 Likes

Wanted to mention that that chart for light levels at various stages is wrong. Consider this: Plant a seed outdoors, anything say corn. When it sprouts in mid to late May, how much light is it getting?
1700 PPFD 2000? The seedlings do just fine. The only reason to lower levels indoor is to reduce energy consumption. Which can also be down by dimming the light and lowering it to raise PPFD.
I keep a 2x2 tent for seedlings and clones and 4x4 tents for veg, all of which I keep at 800 PPFD, the flower area I try to maintain at 950PPFD.
EDIT: I cover the clone tray with white plastic to diffuse and reduce the light to the clones.

3 Likes

Which is why i said:

:rofl: :+1:

3 Likes

According to bugbee, you can blast them at the beginning. Only thing is most of the thing you’ll blast is dirt given they’re so tiny :laughing:

3 Likes

In the 2x2, I’m running a pair of HLG Diablo boards. That gives me 1322point sources, I’m running them pair on an 80 watt driver! At 10 inches I’m getting 800 PPFD average. That’s more light than a fluorescent at 2 inches at the same power level! I can fit 36 3.5" pots. So yeah, I’m lighting some dirt but not much lol! And the efficiency very high per watt.

1 Like

But it’s because they’re so small, I need to hit them with even more photons!

/s

2 Likes

Right, that makes sense now that you put it that way :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I feed my baby with a plate thats 3 times bigger than an adult’s plate, so when they’ve done a third of it, like a normal baby, they’ve eaten a normal amount. taps temple

Also, my doctor says I have a really fat baby and we have to to figure out why

4 Likes

BLAST EM… I like how he said that in that interview. I love learning from scientist. I’ve heard him talk about how UV/ir can add to the plant stretching. I’ve got older cob LED lights and they work fine but I had been wanting more stretch. So these lights have two switches. The one switch is all red bulbs mostly. And the other switch is all white bulbs. So in early flower I thought maybe I’ll just run the red switch for a couple hours before lights out to encourage stretch. Well I’m here to tell you it worked and quite well they stretched just like I hoped for.

2 Likes

That’s funny, I feed my pets kinda the same way, now I’m trying to figure out why they don’t move so much from their bed. They seems lazy all day.

1 Like

I had 1000w hps, they would always stretch, now with 460w of led and the dimmer on 50% i get no stretch at all, they stay squat and get real fat! These are a mix of ages amd strains but they’re no older than 2 weeks. The one I’m fondling is 7 days old. You couldn’t get the hps close enough beforeit bleached or burnt em

1 Like

With HPS, lamp is always higher because of the heat, so plants could stretch, with LEDS it can be more close to the top, that may contain the stretching… icon_e_confused|nullxnull

3 Likes

Big thank you for the time you spent answering

Your informations or gold, thank you

Big thank you for the time you spent

Your informations are gold

Thank you a lot

1 Like