Supplemental lighting for outdoor hawaii

Aloha growmies. Wanting to do some solar flood light or stadium light or string light supplemental lighting for hawaii outdoor.
Any recommendations? Saw on Amazon a lot of options but don’t know how strong the light has to be to keep them awake? Any help is awesome mahalo

1 Like

May I ask why you want extra lighting outdoors? Maybe leaving them outside during the sunlight, then at sunset bring them inside a grow room bromigo.

3 Likes

When I do my outdoor if I put them out early and still want to achieve 15+ hours of light. My garden is right off the porch 20 feet. So I aim my high-intensity motion LED porch light right toward the garden plot and turn it on before dark and off when I have achieved my desired time. White Bright :fire: God Luv our LEDS. I couldn’t tell you if it works but it sure makes me feel better lol

4 Likes

In hawaii our plants don’t veg during fall/winter so our yield is small. Most growers In hawaii use supplemental lighting at like say midnight to wake them up. Most plants bud out to be like a fat joint during these times

3 Likes

Don’t want to bring the outdoor plants indoor. I was doing that for a little bit but want to expand my crop and it’s too much work. Read an article in Louisana they use stadium led for a couple hours at midnight to keep plants in veg

2 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. My powerful led spotlight seems to work for a 10X10 area 20 feet away. LED, being what it is now. You got a lot of options “strips”, “spot” and I’m sure they can do solar. The question would be, will the solar be powerful enough? I say go for it. tagged for follow :peace_symbol: keeping them in veg is about as far as it will go.

@Ronsonmatsuo4

I have read about this, from Jamaica to Colombia. You only need to interrupt the light cycle for a couple of hours at night. It doesn’t need to be a strong light either, just enough to keep the plant in veg.

One big problem you will have is the moths. They will be attracted to the lights. Lay eggs on your buds, and infest the plants with caterpillars. You are going to want to wrap them in something like mosquito netting to prevent this.

3 Likes

I have been using outdoor weather proof String lights.

I Use 60 equivalent Watt LED bulbs (Daylight).

Do not use anything other than (daylight) or you risk your plants going into flower small I have found.

I did upgrade some of the 60 watters to 75 watts recently .

You can see in the above pic I did double up the lights when I had plants 6 feet or more away from the lights and could not string up another stand out that far.

If you can, test one plant before putting out a bunch…

yeahthatsign also!

Good luck :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

51qCBh7Qs4L.AC_SY580

2 Likes

Another version. Waterproof I think they are on Amazon too

1 Like

@Ronsonmatsuo4 Yobro, good to see you back! I just ran a few 75 & 200 W LED’s (garden flood/spot lt. types) on metal poles to stretch out my veg period on an August late planting. Seemed to get me 3-4 weeks, but that’s really just a guess based on when other strains w/o the lights started flowering! Eventually Nature won and they all started to flower despite the lights. Good luck! And Alohahaha!
:call_me_hand:

3 Likes