Syncing two different plants lighting schedule

Hey folks. I’ve a beginner’s dilemma. I have two plants.

1. White Widow - A balcony window grow, started 12/12 straight from seed. It’s in week 1 of flower. Light on schedule: 7 AM to 6 PM (sun light)
  2. Blueberry - A medium sized plant vegged for a couple of weeks with 18/6. It’s still in veg phase. Planning to flip it this week. Light on schedule: 9 PM to 3 PM (grow light)

Right now, the weather isn’t good due to heavy clouds and the window grow isn’t getting any acceptable level of sun light. I wish to bring it indoors and plop it next to the bigger plant. I have one light fixture. I plan to flip my Blueberry with light on schedule being 9PM to 9AM.

My plan is to place the already flowering small WW next to my Blueberry and change the WW’s light on schedule from 7AM-6PM to 9PM - 9AM. (same as the Blueberry) so I can flower both plants with the same light.

My question is, would this change in light on schedule shock or stunt the WW plant? Is it safe for me to change the schedule during flowering or should I leave it outdoors and pray for the weather to get better? What should I expect or beware of by doing this?

Any knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.

6 Likes

Just put them both in and set whatever flowering schedule you want and move on. Plants won’t notice and the Blueberry will start to flower after a couple of weeks.

11 Likes

Thanks. The reason I asked is because I came across a video on YouTube that said disrupting the circadian rhythm of a plant might stress it out and stress during flowering is no good. I assume that was one of those bro science videos, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

There’s a threshold, 1 night isn’t going to hurt anything especially if it’s just in week 1 of flower.

4 Likes

I assume it’s in week 1 of flower because I noticed the white hairs on the top of the small WW plant about 3 days. I’m not sure when it exactly flipped as it was outside. But I got what you’re saying.

1 Like

Pics would help

1 Like

Will try to update the post with pics tomorrow. It’s not possible at the moment.

1 Like

I’ve heard skipping the flowering plant’s next light cycle and starting on the new one the next day is less stressful. But I’ve never done it, so I can’t vouch for it.

1 Like

I’ve done that a few times and never noticed any ill effects. It’s probably like if you suddenly moved from the US to the Philippines. You’d be a little tired for a week or so while your circadian rhythms adjust. Cannabis plants have them too (just look at the leaves right before lights-out). It’ll probably slow them down a bit temporarily, but won’t be anything you’ll notice.

2 Likes

First of all, I am pleased to hear of some success to this point!

I’d do what @JustANobody suggested and put them both under the same light and schedule. They’ll adapt and be fine.

Pics would be awesome :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Seems like the kind of things that stress us as growers more than stressing the actual plants. Anyone know if there’s validity to the idea that it’s better to make moves like this to interrupt a light cycle rather than interrupting a dark cycle? Seems a “bit of a cloudy day” would be less intrusive than a blast of midnight sun. :thinking:
Stay up
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

1 Like

I wouldn’t stress about it much (hehe)…even if the WW does freak out a bit, it’s still young, and will regain strength in flower even if it sets it back a week. Stable genetics is the key here…

1 Like

My understanding is the dark cycle is most important.
All I can say is I’ve been shifting day cycles, preserving the night cycles for several years now with no ill effects.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I’ve shifted light cycles to suit numerous times without any problems.

I always run my tent days during earth night to normalize temperature and save a few bucks on electricity

2 Likes

Hi guys. I do this sort of thing all the time. Your plants wont even notice it. Usually it takes about a week or so of a new light cycle to flip a plant one way or the other. The worst thing that can happen is that your plant loses a few hours of “grow time”.

2 Likes