Tap Water Remediation

Same here…

1 Like

This doesn’t really address what we’re talking about though.

Try google your city + chloramine drinking water ppm and see what we come up with.

I’m sure there’s some sort of govt standard of accepted drinking water practices where you could find it too.

I used to live in a place that had lead pipes. Which explains a lot.

I can’t find anything but commercial links to chloramine disinfection services that I think are in the medical segment so I can’t tell you jack shit about chloramine in the water here.

Ok then. Carry on.

I’ve looked again, and there are A LOT of compounds listing chlor-whatever but none with amine or ammonia in the name.

There’s a lot more compounds they mentioned than I did but none except the ones I listed showed any numbers that were significant, meaning, they were close to 0 or at least very well below the maximum allowed limits for European standards. Or was it for my countries standards? I don’t remember, but fuck it.

Buttfuck it.

Hehehe.

I think the ammonia is added to stabilize the chlorine but I’d have to double check.

My city also uses phosphoric acid as pH down :joy::+1:

This stuff is very good at fixing shitty water

2 Likes

Wow, I did not expect such an outpouring of replies and passion over tap water! Thanks everyone.

I think the dechlorinators are interesting, although it is very hard to find out what is in them. I have used them for aquarium purposes. One time, I watered my plants shortly after applying a dechlorinator and my plants were badly burned by it. However, after letting it sit for time, it does not seem to burn plants. It would be interesting to do a side by side of plants with no dechlorinator, a minute amount, and a moderate amount.

EDIT: Vernal has mentioned again chlorine/chloramine is essentially not relevant and anything I can google backs that up. Huh. Wonder why my tips are burning sometimes. I keep a variety of plants and have tried numerous things on different plants, but can’t quite figure out what causes it consistently. More personal research is needed haha

The tap water here sucks. I don’t even drink it let alone use it straight from the tap on my plants. PH here is usually in the 9’s regardless of what the city reports. And what they report isn’t all that great:

I use this product on my hose into a 30 gallon container with 2 12 inch air stones in the container.

7 Likes

Sodium thiosulfate.

That’s what’s in them.

I am growing plants more sensitive than Cannabis in them, and have grown some very sensitive plants with them. Eriocaulon, Syngonanthus, rare crypts, etc. Inverts like Crystal Reds and Blacks and dwarf crays. They thrived.

Dechlorinator doesn’t negatively impact plants, nor does regular chlorinated tapwater.

3 Likes

I keep a jar of vitamin C powder under the sink. A pinch in a gallon does the trick as 1 gram will treat about 40 gallons. Add it to the container then fill, wait about 4-5 minutes and it’s done.

You might look into bicarbonates in your water. If they are high, you could be locking out calcium and/or magnesium. Dropping the pH to 6.0 can drop the bicarbonates by up to half.

2 Likes

As far as I know letting it sit 24h would only let the shit of the water get to the bottom of the water, chlorine i think doesnt evaporate like that(correct me if im wrong)

1 Like

I was using small amounts of citric acid with some benefit, must be this.

Is there a preferable or optimal acid for pH down purposes? I’ve heard phosphoric is great, but a little expensive.

1 Like

The chlorine does indeed evaporate. You can speed it up dramatically with aeration and/or circulation. The chloramines are what stay in regardless of sitting out or aeration.

4 Likes

Chlorinated water over 150 ppm’s will harm your plants. Just because you are lucky enough to have levels in a tolerable range does not mean everyone has that luxury.

1 Like

I have five gallon buckets filled with my tap water. Let it sit and use a few day later. My city water runs about 7.2 PH and when I mix with JMS I come down to about 6.5 PH, if I am not going to use JMS than I PH to around 6.5 but I may stop doing this as I grow in a Coots mix and believe that this buffers enough with my water being at 7.2

1 Like

I use Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). Just a pinch will do, plus it has other benefits for plants.

Cheers.

1 Like

Oh okay, thanks for the correction! Tho what does more harm to the plant chlorine or chloramine? Also maybe with an aquarium bubbler you could speed those 24h to maybe 14h-12h?(just curious, in my case I use rain water)

I may be wrong but my understanding is that chlorine and chloramine in of themselves, at tapwater concentrations, won’t hurt your plants directly. But they may impact the soil biology of beneficial bacteria and fungus.

I figure a pinch of Vitamin C is good for my plants, but I don’t worry too much. Its cheap too.

1 Like