Experiencing Deficiencys. lil help?

i havnt been able to update much on my grows… but i got alot of new stuff going on … a Auto tent (experiment) and my new run of “Canuck Seeds” & “Barneys Farm”

but i have run into some ripples in the waters… help from this amazingly knowledgeable community would be greatly appreciated :pray:

been noticing some spots. cant quite pin point if its late stage Manganese deficiency or late stage Potassium deficiency.

here are some picture examples
Plant - Violator Kush (Barneys Farm) /Photoperiod /Feminized

im basing my assumptions on this picture below

any and all help is greatly appreciated !

SWAYZE :cactus:

2 Likes

Are you choosing to use nutrients ?

im doing organic nutrients
-Gaia Green All Purpose (4-4-4)
-Gaia Green Power Bloon (2-8-4)
-Earthworm Castings
-Organic Soil

Check your N-P-K levels.

how does one manage to check that?

What is your pH at?

I think the spots are a little big for manganese def. (on both pictures).

To me it looks more like a Ca def. - Are you using RO water?
Either way I would check the pH and look for a Cal supplement!

2 Likes

i ph my water to 6.3-6.8…
and no im using Dechlorinated tap water…
Calcium eh? i will look more into this! thank you

1 Like

pH sounds all right, do you check your run off’s?

Your soil and run off water can still have a very different pH, so try and make a soil sample or check your run off’s next time you water.

I never had a Ca def that wasn’t pH caused, with tap water and only recently had my first Ca def. As I got a RO filter and didn’t use a Ca / mag supplement.
But tap water around the world is very different, I have very hard water with a lot of Calcium and Bicarbonate.
Maybe check your water suppliers homepage, here they have water analyses public.

2 Likes

@swayze check the coloration on your leaves or try www.google.com Nitrogen makes your leaves green or they’re lacking nutrients.

When in doubt flush your pots.

2 Likes

I had symptoms like that before and it was caused by an excess of phosphorus which in turn locked out calcium and magnesium. I gave my plants a good flush and backed off on my base nutes a couple mills and the plants new growth was unaffected. I grow in coco though, so I’m not sure if flushing would work for you since you grow in organic soil and nutes are released when you water. That could end up making it worse. Hopefully a more experienced dirt farmer will chime in.

3 Likes

@Palindrome here is a write up on the water where i am… it was my understanding when doing organic you dont really have to worry about pH your water bacause the organic soil naturally adjusts ph (even tho i still do adjust my pH regardless) … when i did test my run off it was only a few points higher then my original pH (watered 6.4 / Run off 6.8) …

i was hoping it would be something simple i could just add lol maybe i got some figuring out to do!

I would flush them with RO water, lots and lots of RO water. If your ph is higher in your runoff than going in, you have a build up and are getting a lock out.

When flushing I got on a 4x pot size. So if you have 5 gal pots, 20 gal flush each. Check your run off, if the pH is still off, keep flushing. Do you have a TDS meter?

3 Likes

Yeah sounds like you would benefit from a flush, to bring your media back on track.

I’ll let the organic guys take over, I know little to non about growing in soil or flushing it.

2 Likes

ok maybe i need some advice from some other organic soil/ living soil growers. i feel alot of you are just relating your bottled nutrient solutions to organic growing … when in reality they are VERY different (methods and product!)

flushing my living soil would just make things worse from what i have researched.
what im trying to do is build up a nice plethora of beneficial bacteria to contribute to delivering the plant what it needs…

i feel in the situation im in i need to look at adding some natural organic alternatives for either Potassium or Calcium or i dont know … which is why im reaching out to the OG community! hence, why i was curious if any one here had experience diagnosing deficiencies…

Flushing my Organic Living soil would just get rid of what i have built up already causing adverse effects to the plants

www.growweedeasy.com :point_down:
Living soil is overflowing with colonies of beneficial microorganisms and microfauna (including bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes) which create a complex and interwoven soil food web.

These tiny creatures break down nutrients in the soil, making them easier for roots to absorb. In return, the plant excretes substances at the roots which feed the soil colony. This symbiotic relationship is the basis of True Organic Gardening! When these organisms are missing from the soil, it’s more difficult for your plant to get the nutrients it needs.

The organisms which colonize living soil actually “hand-deliver” nutrients directly to your plant roots, just like in nature!

any organic/ living soil growers out there that can shed some light?

SWAYZE :cactus:

1 Like

Are you certain your nutrients are ok pal?. Bottled organic nutes have been known to go off while in storage, before they are even sold to the customer.
If the nutrients, water and ph are ok and you cant or wont flush, the only thing i can think of left is to repot. This might not fix the problem for long though if the culprit is your tap water. You might be causing nutrient lockout with your hard water. Calcium from tap water is often not available to plants and if it cant be taken up, it’ll build up in the medium which can lead to lockout. I think that’s why people are suggesting you flush with RO water. One workaround is to mix your hard tap water 50/50 with RO water. That works for many.

1 Like

This is the best plant sick guide ive found. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688
It’s got real pics of every deficiency and pest. With great info for each problem. The two deficiencies that show red spots is calcium and boron. When it comes to issues like this i feel best to do as a doctor would. Giving a broad spectrum cure rather than waisting time chasing the individual cause. Give it a shot of calcium and check what the boron % is of the nutes you’re using. If they’re on the low side visine eye wash is a easy source of boron. Also as a lot are saying to flush i feel the exact opposite. You know if you’re over feeding nute burn is very obvious. Also if it was your tap water that was the issue you would have seen it a lot earlier. Seedlings are much much more sensitive then adult plants. Since the issue is showing later in life it’s safe to assume they’re needs have out grown what is avil to them.

2 Likes

I agree it’s probably not overfeeding, i’m thinking under feeding is more lightly but why if he’s adding nutrients?
Seedlings can start and grow well enough in soil watered with hard water, until salts like calcium build up to a level where the plant cant uptake nutrients anymore. This is an issue for both organic and non organic growers who live in hard water areas, he has hard water.
Calcium in hard tap water is often in a form the plants cannot use which is the main reason why people often mix their tap and RO water together to dilute it.
Seasonal variations in the water supply can sometimes be the reason for it too.
Hard water is known to cause problems for many growers so why not in this instance?

1 Like

It’s very likely a calcium deficiency or possibly a boron (very less likely). Calcium in organic mixes are very slow release. So when plants begin vigours growth they’ll show deficiencies. I don’t see a cal build up leading to cal lock out. Exp when the plants were obviously extremely healthy and using up what was given.

I rule out nothing when i cant actually visit someones grow pal.
I have seen a lot of people having issues with hard water related salt buildup causing lockout over the years. It’s really cool how you can rule that one out for him btw.
I wouldn’t presume any such thing but i have only been growing cannabis for 23 years so ill defer to your better judgement