Techniques for The Germination of Older Seeds

Like stick the seeds into the fleshy part of the aloe leaf? And just leave it there or only for a few days? Interested to hear more.

1 Like

Yes, check every 24 hrs.

2 Likes

I cracked a stubborn seed very gently with my teeth recently after it floated for 3-4 days in a shot glass. I placed the pointy side between two front teeth and bit gently down until hearing a crack and then planted as normal. Seed sprouted and is doing well.

2 Likes

I recently sprouted some 20+ year old seeds…

4 Likes

Shoot there is some good advice in here! Soaking in hydrogen peroxide is great because of the extra oxygen produced and the potential weakening of the seed coat. @bpk419 has my new favorite way of doing scarification, if you aren’t as adventurous as they are lightly sanding the seed to help break the seed coat also works.

I saw gibberellins mentioned but I can’t remember who so sorry for the lack of credit, thats on me. You have to be careful with gibberellins though if space is an issue because it is a hormone related to cell elongation so potential for big plants. If you want to use hormones cytokinins work to inhibit ABA which is what causes viable seed to stay dormant. I believe potassium as mentioned by many also works to degrade ABA or acts as a signal of fertile ground.

3 Likes

NO paper towel, nothing else is needed but clean potable water if you have a viable embryo.

Soak until the seed sinks and/or splits then sow directly into a pot that is at least 5" tall, 1/4-1/2" deep hole. I just germinated 22 year old seeds, a back cross of C99 X (C99 X Peak19) and backcross of the original C99 from Ron at Heaven’s Stairway.
Reference - Defoliation vs No(little) defoliation - #735 by OldUncleBen

Uncle Ben

6 Likes

Really I think that proper storage is the best old seed germination technique but this is a close second:

4 Likes

Probably a stupid question will older seeds take longer to get going ?

I soaked in polygon seed booster plus solution for 24 hrs saw some shell cracking with little tap roots showing so moved them to a propagator on the left vaders vintage on the right alien rift these are from I think 2007 2008 ish I think

Most of this box of seeds are 10years old or old. Any help would be amazing I don’t want to waste stuff. Have some tga seeds and holy seed bank and stuff that isn’t around anymore. I read through this and there seems to be quite a few ways to help them pop.

1 Like

Have you read through the thread. There is good info on here…

1 Like

Depends on how you stored them. I have a garden going in veg. right now. Here’s a few of a backcross I did of a sourced Bros. Grimm C99 and a cross of C99 X (C99 X Peak19). All germinated and are growing like weeds. Been cold stored for about 22 years!

2 C99, 4 “CindyPeak”

Uncle Ben

5 Likes

How absurd. Once seeds have soaked, sink and perhaps the shell cracks they should be sown at a depth of 1/4" to (no more than) 1/2" deep. The rule of thumb is to plant seeds at a depth equal to two or three times their width. Common sense dictates in order to prevent damage to the root radicle via handling, that the ideal time to plant seeds is just as the shell has cracked. Most times I just plant the seeds that sank after a day or two of soaking. No H2O2 or bleach needed.

Leave it up to cannabis growers to go against conventional methods.

Dec. 22

My new garden link -

Uncle Ben

4 Likes

So I tried seed boost plus,molasses soak sorta,paper towel in a baggy on my WiFi router no success with 10 year old seeds

Going to try the last Vader vintage and some stoned ninja seeds in the fridge for three day then molasses soak after a hydrogen peroxide clean with some 1% solution as stated above

Popped some UBC Chemo Beans that were well over 20 years old.All i did was throw a whole pack of tomato seeds in a glass of water for 24 hours then i strained seeds out and Tossed these back in same water .4 out of 4 popped and now they are growing and getting thier shit back together.Going to do the twist leaf thing i see.Very slow veggers one with elephant ears for leaves tiny stalk but its tough Some wierd growth but they are slowly working back to normal

7 Likes

That is so cool :ok_hand: …do you think I could try the same thing with green moong beans?

I think it could be done with almost any seed or dried bean that is fresh and healthy.The old seeds are missing that enzyme,New ones disperse it into water dunk old beans in enzyme activates Germ.The real Million dollor question is what bean or seed would have the highest enzyme concentration?I also imagine if you had a bunch of freshly made beans and have plenty to piss away you could do the same thing im thinking just dont leave any floaters when you strain so you dont have an oh shit moment when your seed count in the morning is off by one or two lol every one likes a suprise i guess lol

5 Likes

That is very interesting and quite brilliant. I keep all my seeds in the freezer. After harvest I dry them for at least 1 month at 68-70 degrees F. Then they go in the freezer. I have some seeds that are 40 years old and still germinate easily. :grin:

5 Likes

Im going to go with @Foreigner on this one and say Proper storage is the first most important step to seed Germinating hell even pollen storage @PhilCuisine had pollen that was 15 years old that still was viable!!Dude uses tupperware ziplock baggies and tinfoil thats it he didnt even freeze it it was in homies fridge let that sink in When you pop beans 40 years old and they pop or Pollen of all things thats supposed to keep for like what ?2 maybe 3 years? still knocks up pistils says you did something right thats for damn sure.Kudos too you Homie - :billed_cap: -

6 Likes

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282147957_Effect_Of_Humic_Acid_On_Seed_Germination_Of_Rophanus_Sativus_L#:~:text=The%20study%20infers%20that%20humic,respectively%20after%2060%20minutes%20soaking.

Something to look into trying, the Study is on Radish Seeds, but MOST seeds pretty much need the same things for germination.

The highest concentration of auxins are present in green peas.

7 Likes

Looks like its time for an experiment,i have some cali fire mystery seeds from 1995 to 98.Going to need to get some supplies

7 Likes