Techniques for The Germination of Older Seeds

Damn, that’s two recent posts of mine without exclamation marks…I must be higher than I think.
:thinking::expressionless:
Yeah, I know, three.

4 Likes

I’m trying for sure but only have about 20 seeds and want the best techniques I can find

2 Likes

If you go looking for the posts, you’ll find quite a few well- respected members who swear by that method above. I’ve been getting lucky with direct sown seeds, but when I run old stock, I’ll be doing it his way! :bear::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks heady bear I’ll do some reading and figure something out hopefully.

1 Like

I have the faith!

2 Likes

If it were me I’d probably try Johnny’s method (the one linked above) and do all 20 at the same time. YMMV but even with well-kept seeds that old I’d expect to see reduced rates of germination, so it’s likely a numbers game. Either there’s hope or there isn’t…

2 Likes

@DGCloud Definitely take HeadyBearAdventures Suggestion.
I basically built a miniature version of Johnny’s Worm Casting Bins.

I do a presoak with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution, then rinse.

When I plant the seeds that grow tap roots, I only bury the root, and leave the shell above the soil line.

It is the most successful way I’ve learned so far. I tested a ton of methods, and this way was the most successful. I used some really old 50+ year old seeds with like 98% success.

That’s a breakdown of everything I do.

Whichever way you decide, I’m sending good vibes. Please keep us updated.

:v::green_heart:

7 Likes

One of the best articles that I have read - very interesting and informative

3 Likes

Coconut water is the endosperm of the coconut “seed”. Coconuts are basically seeds. I think something like this would be ideal, as the endosperm is what the embryo needs to grow, and is gone from older seeds. If the embryo is trashed then it won’t do any good, but I think I’m going to order some of that.

4 Likes

Man I appreciate all the suggestions and posts. I’m glad there’s good people like you all with support instead of bash. I’m gonna try that method. Just not now I got to much and no room. I just wanted to ask early to find out what I need to get and try. For your help and kindness I have seeds of brawndo f2s to give to you guys if you want some. Thanks all stay blessed.

2 Likes

Also gonna have to pm Johnny for the little things I’m maticulous about things like this. I don’t wanna lose these seeds. Thank again all.

2 Likes

I believe it does, but h202 has the added benefit of chemically scarifying the seeds. I believe sulfuric/phosphoric acid also have dual sterilizing and scarifying abilities

4 Likes

i will have to remember to give that a shot with some of my older seeds. plenty of coconuts around these parts!

1 Like

And it provides Oxygen to the seeds, or so I read.

1 Like

Just pulled some old Norstar Genetics out from 2015. They were removed from breeders pack and stored in sealed glass amber vials. 100% germination rate. Amber vials be the way to go for storage in my opinion. Just used normal paper towel method and some super thrive.

2 Likes

Hello overgrow

I had a quick question that a lot of newer growers like me wonder eventually. I wanted to know what techniques you experienced growers use when germinating 5+ year old seeds when brought out from the refrigerator.

1 Like

From the Man… the Myth…… the Legend himself… @JohnnyPotseed

2 Likes

Hell yeah thank you I trust Johnny

Paper towel method…it works, I have seeds I created 20+ years ago, all kept in the fridge and they still sprout…

4 Likes

I think I’m going to do this. I’ve been doing this for ever but I think 5 year old seeds are not thaaat old considering they’ve been refrigerated their whole lives

1 Like