The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

That’s ringing a bell…seems like I had that happen one time a while back, but I forget which plant it was.

3 Likes

Anything strange come of it that you recall? From what I’ve read it seems harmless and may even subside after the first few nodes. Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) can cause similar discoloration but symptoms usually include twisted leaves of some sort. This seems more likely to just be a gene mutation at this point but we’ll see.

4 Likes

You know I can’t quite remember. Might have been a pepper plant in my garden. But I seem to remember a dope plant a couple years ago with it as well. I don’t know though…

3 Likes

Grew normal after a set or two. Could it be ph related?
There was concern that the soil such a plant grows in could carry the virus, but I haven’t seen that trait again in 2 years myself, and i recycle my soil.

2 Likes

I’ll admit I’ve never tested any water runoff for PH. I know my well water is around 6.5-6.8 typically. But this coloration is very different from say the Colombian Gold plant that I posted earlier in this thread so I’m still thinking gene expression.

This matches with what I’ve read of other’s experience.

I think TMV is quite rare but there are some interesting tidbits I’ve come across that I wasn’t aware of:

TMV survives in infected plants (including viable seeds), as well as in debris from these plants. Plant-based products (most notoriously tobacco products) can harbor the virus. TMV is very stable and can survive for long periods of time; there are reports of TMV surviving and remaining infectious after 50 years in storage at 40°F. Because of its stability, TMV can survive on and be picked up from hands, clothing, gardening tools, work surfaces and any other object (e.g., door knobs) that gardeners may handle.

TMV is highly transmissible and is commonly spread by handling infected plants, then healthy plants. Spread via gardening tools is also very common. No specific insects spread TMV (the way that aphids spread Cucumber mosaic virus). However, bees and chewing insects (e.g., grasshoppers) can transmit TMV through casual contact or their feeding as they move from plant to plant.

Ref: https://pddc.wisc.edu/2021/02/19/tobacco-mosaic/

Is TMV spread by insects?

No, TMV is not spread by the most common greenhouse insects that often vector other viruses, like thrips and aphids. In addition, beneficial insects have not been linked to spreading TMV. However, there are a couple minor exceptions that may only be applicable to certain production facilities. First, pollinators such as bumble bees used in the pollination of some greenhouse crops, like cucumbers and tomatoes, can spread TMV. Also, larger chewing insects – not common in greenhouse production – such as grasshoppers can spread TMV.

Can simply brushing an infected plant and then a non-infected plant spread TMV?

Yes, the slightest brush of clothing infected with TMV was sufficient to spread the virus to uninfected plants, according to a study by Losenge et al.

Ref: Common questions and answers about tobacco mosaic virus - MSU Extension

2 Likes

Isn’t Tmv fatal?

1 Like

I’d say it can’t be that or it would have spread easily.
Mine was one plant, 2 sets, 2 leaves

2 Likes

Not necessarily, it seems that it’s possible to treat and control (but no real cure). It is recommended to destroy and dispose of it though which obviously makes sense for how easily transmittable it is.

Yeah totally agree.

3 Likes

I completely agree with @deeez99 as I’ve seen it in my garden. It also grew out with zero ill effects even when it was showing.

3 Likes

Some people intentionally breed for that look… And the plants seem otherwise unaffected in pictures.

3 Likes

I was guessing also TMV :see_no_evil:, hope I’m wrong … :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Treat this like an immune system infection. First use a foliar spray of heavily diluted powdered mustard seed. Then build up the subsoil microbiome with lactobacilli. That may slow down and eventually stop the spread of the TMV.

3 Likes

Another option is to take the plant outdoors, and use a sulfur burner to spray the plants down, leave it outside for a few days. Leaving the plants outdoors in the sunshine for 1 week strengthens weak plants. Regarding seeds made for TMV infected plants, deep freeze them for 3 months.

1 Like

Thanks RB, I was just replying @deez99, I would just cull and burn it, no need to take risks and spread the infection, thanks for the good advice anyway … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

When my kashmir plant looked like this, I rubbed the stem of it and smelled my fingers all thru the grow. Then proceeded to stem rub all the others with no spreading of the Condition to other plants. Canopies were intertwined too.
Sure looks similar to TMV, I’ll admit. @deeez99 you must have touched other plants and this one too, yes? I’ll send you a Silversides cutting replacement if you rub that plant on another one and something happens to it. It would be nice to be sure and it doesn’t sound possible that another plant would NOT also catch TMV if treated this way.
( unless…) Do you smoke cigarettes?

4 Likes

I’m sure I might have but possibly not since it’s still a pretty small plant compared to the others I have going. Although I’m sure it touched the nearby pepper plant and cucumber plant and so far nothing showing on those yet.

haha ok I’ll do it and report back. This feels like one of those double dog dares.

I don’t and no one that has been to our place smokes any type of tobacco either

Even though TMV can technically infect cannabis it appears to be so rare that if I did in fact have it then I’m going to go buy a lottery ticket. So far I have not been able to find any evidence to the contrary.

I just can’t find anyone else that has (or had) a confirmed case. Even that article from your screen shot says there’s not enough evidence of widespread transmission and that “some plants that test positive may not have visible symptoms, and some plants that test negative may actually have the virus”. Even the article linking to the Canadian government findings state that there are “few” confirmed reports. That’s the main reason I’m not yet inclined to cull just yet. But I do always appreciate other growers input.

4 Likes

I agree. That’s why I’m willing to risk a Silverside’s cutting😄

3 Likes

haha ok I might have to break out my Photoshop skills to get that coveted cutting then :wink:

4 Likes

I was gonna say that I truly don’t thing its in infected plant at all. I’ve seen many others on Instagram have the same thing. They tried to clone it to see if they could keep the trait but it went away on its own.

3 Likes