The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Originally Panama Red was grown on the Pearl Islands in the Pacific, according to one source of my reading. It was also grown in the mts above the canal according to different sources. If this is the same Panama it shouldn’t have changed much being grown on.a different island chain. It would be fun to track it down. What did it smell like?
Nice looking plants you have going. Nice and bushy. Who made this cross?
@Papalag that looks great. I Totally see the Panama Haze look in that cola. Frosting looks about ready to come on strong.

9 Likes

Have you been toking much lambsbread? How is she now?

1 Like

My apologies. I’ve forgotten a few people this season. Playing catch up all season and the pattern is just continuing… If you send me your address again, it will save me a lot of time looking for it.

2 Likes

I just finished smoking last summers last bud about a month ago. Definitely gets better with age. At a year old it was the best I had it. This summers run was only a seed harvest

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered that
If that famous red Panama hat were common, I’m sure it would still exist
I have a hard time understanding how there is no modern information
There is no information about cannabis in Panama, they have the ideal climate, the ideal typography, they have everything!
Why doesn’t anyone talk about that? There are no photos, there are no clues, nothing at all
still Colombian red growing in the Mountains,also Colombian gold and many other mythical varieties
What happens with Panama?

7 Likes

@Upstate @Elchischas

A post I done Nov 2021

Still think red point , Punt roja …Panama red all the same strain.

Geography!

Same countries up till 1903 when Panama became a republic.It was part of Colombia before then…

It great growing the different Panama reds and hazes etc I’ve grown here…like Colombian Gold it’s been Hybred out of existence…But Myths can come true… could be tucked away somewhere .But a bigger chance of finding it is in :colombia:

Great you’re interested in :panama: it is a mythical country same as all Latin America

P J

12 Likes

I do too. Same thing.

7 Likes

Well…and the most acceptable theory
but I have grown red point (two different lines) and Panama 1974
and I didn’t find any similarities, from the shape of the seed is different, everything
That’s why I keep trying to shed light on this enigma.

9 Likes

I love this thread. Get to learn so much cannabis history here.

4 Likes

Same here buddy, I never even thought about lineages until I found this thread and @Upstate. He put a whole new outlook on this plant for me.:green_heart:

3 Likes

He is the main reason why I went for the long flower grow. I was one of those that thought higher the thc% the better the weed. Then I realized I would smoke all day but never get stoned I’d be high but not the same as the first smoke of the day. No ceiling caught my attention for sure but the information @upstate posts on here made it very desirable to grow despite the longer flower times. I’ve had the privilege recently to smoke my first true long flower joint and ya that’s exactly what I wanted. My girl thought she didn’t like sativas because made her racey but no hybrid sativa she’s in love as well. Thanks @Upstate
Oaxacan x red snake

Peshawar Afghani

24 Likes

I’ll get back on track with another long flower one of these days. I really want to do Acapulco gold.

5 Likes

Please keep trying.I to like researching like others,that’s how this site is a good reference for some strains .
I didn’t know a great amount of Panama red ( except smoke it) till I joined O G.

Same with a Mexican strains…

P J

I’m still growing and learning

5 Likes

Really beautiful plants!
Is that a real Afghani one?
I mean on my mind always Afghani means wide leaves short plants

3 Likes

I think many things about Panama Red. It must have at least one ancestor related to the red varieties of Colombia. Then possibly additional genetics either came through the canal, were added by American stoner troops stationed in Panama during the early 1900’s…OR were added by Parke Davis during the same era. One or more of these sources may have contributed foreign genes, along with a Colombian Red strain, and all contributed to make the Panama Red landrace.
There is possibly the old Panama Red Sativa Indica hybrid as well. This could also stem from any of the above sources, or from more recently. It really is an enigma. The presence of all those different cannabinoids in it says Indian or South Asian is in there.
Maybe it’s always been a mash up.of many varieties coming thru the canal…including some Indica. Over the years, different growers.
would have selected something with more or less of the indica traits depending upon taste…and anyone open.pollinating large patches in the jungle would have ended up with a tropical very longflowering equatorial beast. Maybe it’s all Panama Red.
A true enigma indeed!
@Elchischas did the 74 remind you of any other landrace?

6 Likes

It changes everything seeing an afghan sativa. A month ago I grabbed my rooted Peshawar cuttings…2 of them, from amongst 4 cuttings total, the other 2 being Thai. I began force flowering them. All are in half gallon pots And survived the summer tucked away in the shade with about an hour of morning sun each day. To this day I still don’t know if I am flowering a thai plant, or Joe, my keeper Peshawar. They look that similar I can’t tell them apart.

9 Likes

No bro.
Panamá 74 its unique
But certainly got large leaves quite wide so really probably got indica ancestors.

But not indica at all. Got long flowering time, really lanky structure and airy buds.

I’m just want to know why isn’t more original Panama nowdays

9 Likes

That’s the problem with cannabis.
It is a plant so variable and also so prohibited for so long, that any theory can be the truth.

10 Likes

Same and some Panama red.

2 Likes

Yes Panama red, if I ever find some, I have some of the Acapulco gold seeds from @lambchopedd.:wink:

5 Likes